Super tech Mercon V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone has used ST Mercon V before with good results? It'll be going in my 5R44E in my ranger and the price seems decent.

If it meets the Mercon V requirements, which it has too, then it should be good.

That's what we used in my brothers 01 Explorer sport when we changed all the lines and did a pan drop and filter change. It seemed to do pretty good in it.

I just changed the fluid in my ranger with the 4r44e with super tech mercon v. Shifts got noticably smoother.

Yep, did the full 15(ish) change in my 4r100 with it 3 times over the years, no issues with TC chatter etc.

OP
Same Truck and Transmission.
I've been using ST Mercon V for 9 years with NO problems / I like the price.

My Nephew welded a Drain Plug (hex nut) to bottom of my Pan
and I do a Drain / Fill once a year.

While changing the Filter once, I added a few more Magnets.

Note: My Ranger is 2 WD, but I bought a 4 WD Pan and use a 4 WD Filter.
I liked how the 4 WD Pan held more fluid and had a better 'low' spot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I've never done a "drop and fill",
but I do pull a cooler line loose and let 'er idle in Neutral until I get bubbles, which is about 5-6 quarts.
Every 30,000 - 40,000 miles. (4R75E)

I have a large Baldwin BT839-10 filter inline (10 micron) also.

Ok it just got me thinking if I should go ahead and spend a dollar more a quart for Castrol brand Mercon v since autozone has it on sale right now 2 for $12 a quart.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Ok it just got me thinking if I should go ahead and spend a dollar more a quart for Castrol brand Mercon v since autozone has it on sale right now 2 for $12 a quart.

Just get supertech. Spending more money in this case i dont think will yield any better results.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I've never done a "drop and fill",
but I do pull a cooler line loose and let 'er idle in Neutral until I get bubbles, which is about 5-6 quarts.
Every 30,000 - 40,000 miles. (4R75E)

I have a large Baldwin BT839-10 filter inline (10 micron) also.

I'm interested in this. Got any other details?

Originally Posted by NavyVet88

You will not get a dollar more a quart performance.

All of the SuperTech fluids I've used have been made by Warren, and have done well for my vehicles. I haven't used their Mercon V fluid but if it's a Warren product I'd trust it.

I went with Castrol Mercon v and just got done with the pan drop and filter replacement. I'll give it a couple weeks then pump a few quarts out through the dipstick tube and replace with more Mercon v.

Sounds good, what did you observe in the pan? Any shiny metal bits, or just the usual layer of black paste? I'm interested to hear whether this fixes your truck's behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back