Oreilly's Microgard 51394 C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, I just can't like the combo valve. I'm certainly no engineer, but it looks crude. It's a shame, everything else looks fine. One funny thing, the glue on each end of the element is different, but very well done.

IMG_20190810_143106.jpg

IMG_20190810_143142.jpg

IMG_20190810_143315.jpg

IMG_20190810_143400.jpg

IMG_20190810_143412.jpg

It would probably be fine for a 5000-7500 mile OCI which is likely what the people the filter is marketed toward will do. I would use it.

More pics, 42 pleats, 3/8" x 1-9/16", weak paper, easily torn. Metal center support, with lots of louvers.

IMG_20190810_145822.jpg

IMG_20190810_145228.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not saying its rational not to like combo valves, just two observations. One, it just looks hokey, and two, there are other designs, that look more reasonable, for the same price. If you look closely, it sure looks like the combo valve fits loosely enough on the filter that it could easily leak through in normal use, even with the heavy spring pressure because of the castelations molded into the valve.

Last edited:
What type of ADBV is that?...
It's a combo valve, adbv and bypass in one. Similar/same concept as Champ ecore combo valves, different design.

As for topic filter, personally I don't put much faith in subjective observations of media strength in unused/virgin anecdotes. Proof 'for me' is whether it gets the job done over the course of fci. With that in mind, here's a topic MGL51394 after a ~5k fci posted this subforum. Looks to have gotten the job done on what would be about the recommended oci/fci for topic filter.

That said, as noted this particular MGL uses a combo valve. I'm not particular fan of the concept. However, as I say for Champ made ecores with combo valve, likely ok for 3-5 oci/fci. There are more Microgard and Napa ProSelect applications that use a traditional dome bypass, than equivalent Champ made ecore filters.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I don't understand the hate for the combo valve on here.

Efficiency.

They bypass a little too well.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I don't understand the hate for the combo valve on here.

Efficiency.

They bypass a little too well.

Is there any data to support that? Just curious. I know there are lots of people complaining about combo valves I'm just interested in proof that these valves are inferior. I'm sure there are thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands or more) of combo valve filters out there.

Not into the inconsistent pleating with wide, uneven spaces on 1 side of the filter. Oil will flow through the wide pleats more because there is less resistance for flow, and that could tear it.

...Is there any data to support that? Just curious. I know there are lots of people complaining about combo valves I'm just interested in proof that these valves are inferior. I'm sure there are thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands or more) of combo valve filters out there.
I don't have proof nor necessarily believe that combo valves "leak". What I do know is that nitrile adbvs eventually lose their pliability, I think generally ~5-6k miles is considered useful/functional life. When it just controls drain back, not huge deal. Worst might be seen or heard, a start up rattle. Hardly a major engine issue, annoyance more than anything. Otoh, when it also controls bypass psi, could be something greater involved.

One other thing to consider. When GM dropped block bypass and went filter integral bypass, easiest move would have been to use a combo valve already used in other ecore filters. However, on it's ACDelco GM ecore filters with filter bypass, they use a traditional poppet type dome bypass. No combo valve. One can draw their conclusion(s) why that is.

Also questionable is the pliability in very cold weather. I don't think the combo valves are silicone, so if their pliabiliy isn't good then their bypass function might not be ideal at cold start-ups.

Can't recall if anyone here has put a combo valve in the freezer to see if it remains pliable like silicone or not. I've done that with nitrile and silicone ADBVs and you can tell a big difference in cold pliabiliy.

First, I'm not sure I buy the uneven pleat spacing would have any effect on how oil is pumped thru the media. Spacing doesn't change permeability.

Second, I did place the combo valve in the freezer, it is not silicone, and it slows its return to relaxed state, but it did always go back to form in a few seconds.

I don't know about combo valves, but regulat bypass valves sure look like a better engineered idea.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
...Is there any data to support that? Just curious. I know there are lots of people complaining about combo valves I'm just interested in proof that these valves are inferior. I'm sure there are thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands or more) of combo valve filters out there.
I don't have proof nor necessarily believe that combo valves "leak". What I do know is that nitrile adbvs eventually lose their pliability, I think generally ~5-6k miles is considered useful/functional life. When it just controls drain back, not huge deal. Worst might be seen or heard, a start up rattle. Hardly a major engine issue, annoyance more than anything. Otoh, when it also controls bypass psi, could be something greater involved.

One other thing to consider. When GM dropped block bypass and went filter integral bypass, easiest move would have been to use a combo valve already used in other ecore filters. However, on it's ACDelco GM ecore filters with filter bypass, they use a traditional poppet type dome bypass. No combo valve. One can draw their conclusion(s) why that is.

It really doesn't matter. Because oil filter selection will give it take how many miles of engine life? 10 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back