TSB 5w30 vs 5w20 on 98 Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by PimTac
I wonder what date that bulletin was issued?

For a 20 year old vehicle I would stay with what you have been using.

From what I recall the data was in the early 2000's.

so around the time they back specc'd basically everything to 5w20.

that would be big brother-government a 1/4 mpg + a engine that dies sooner!

Originally Posted by benjy

The simple answer is your off the mark again for around your 2000th time in about 9 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by benjy

The simple answer is your off the mark again for around your 2000th time in about 9 years.

Yep, that's good old dependable benjy.

A part of it is CAFE, but there are some theories that the timing chain tensioners (that are hydraulically actuated by engine oil) react better with a thinner oil, so the back-spec applied to all modular motors.

I am still amazed how ignorant people are thinking that 5w-20 oil will shorten engine life, there are hundreds of thousands of motors with millions (maybe billions) of miles on them running 5w-20 in all kinds of conditions with no oil related issues.

My large police department runs synthetic 5W-20 in ALL pursuit-rated vehicles. And, this includes older Crown Vics. Cannot be all bad, given the punishment they're put through. Those modular V8's seem to run forever.

Nevertheless, I run 5W-30 or 10W-30 in my Chevy POV's that call for 5W-30.

nah it's a great idea to go thin when vehicles are 20 years old, everyone should do it. Never mind that all high mileage oils go thicker, just buck the trend. Be a trend setter. 0w16 even better.

Originally Posted by blupupher
A part of it is CAFE, but there are some theories that the timing chain tensioners (that are hydraulically actuated by engine oil) react better with a thinner oil, so the back-spec applied to all modular motors.

I am still amazed how ignorant people are thinking that 5w-20 oil will shorten engine life, there are hundreds of thousands of motors with millions (maybe billions) of miles on them running 5w-20 in all kinds of conditions with no oil related issues.

Consider the application instead of making a blanket statement? High mileage vehicle that has been on 30 weight for 20 years plus. Not something that can from the dealer on 20 weight built to take 20 weight.

wemay said:
20 to 30? It's gotta be a legit engineering issue.
30 to 20? 'Just ignore it'
lol.gif

01.gif
Perfect answer. Stick with the 5w 30

I run 5W30 in my Mustang 4.6. I'm sure 5W20 won't hurt it but it's easier just to buy 5W30 to share with everything else I own. There is almost no difference. My Mustang burns no oil and no weird noises. It has 195,500 kms on it now.

Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by blupupher

Consider the application instead of making a blanket statement? High mileage vehicle that has been on 30 weight for 20 years plus. Not something that can from the dealer on 20 weight built to take 20 weight.

I know the application. I have one.
I also know the history of the motor design and the reason for the 5w-20 recommendation.
I was not telling them to use a 5w-20 oil, just answering the question asked.

Also posting the fact that 5w-20 oil in a modular motor will not cause any oil related issues.

Toyota did the same on my engine too, but I will stick with a 30 and maybe move up to a 40 once it hits 200k. No way I'm putting a 20 in there! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back