Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30, SN Plus, 12/26/18 Bottle Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by mdtaylor86
Blackstone results for a VOA of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 SN Plus.

This VOA was prompted by THIS thread.

[Linked Image]

Look at the beefy boron dosage !

It is beefy. Nearly identical additive package to M1 but PP has 100ppm more of boron.

Nice oil package there. May use it during late 2021 inside my Santa Fe 2.4 GDI. Currently have enough oil for the next two years.

Oh wait - never mind. By then GF6 oils will be stockpiled on store shelves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

[Linked Image]

Look at the beefy boron dosage !

It is beefy. Nearly identical additive package to M1 but PP has 100ppm more of boron.

And look at Signature Series...an additional 100ppm of boron.

Hmmm...after my Pennzoil Gold stash runs out,
at ~140k miles,
my current next candidates are
M1 EP HM 0W20
and PUP 5W20,
both at good price points
in the 5qt/jug at Walmart.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Anyone care to guess what the NOACK is with this newer SN+ version ?

I think all we can say for sure is that it is under 15% loss as a SN+/GF5 oil!
I don't see it on the d1G2 list as of yet, that would tell us it's under 13% loss.

When PPPP and PUP first came out, I remember that the former had about 10% Noack loss and the latter was about 11% for the 5W30s.
Those results disappeared from the SOPUS website before very long and I've never seen updates from the manufacturer.
Seemed strange to me at the time that the "premium" product had the higher loss, but both were good results and the PPPP was quite comparable to M1 5W30.
PPPP was on sale at Pep Boys with a $15 rebate card, so I bought a jug of 5W30 for my next change (which is coming up very soon). Don't shop there a lot but they have a location that is convenient for me and I stopped in after I saw the sale ad. M1 was just a bit higher with the same rebate and I thought I could double up with the XOM rebate, but the guys at the desk told me the $15 was actually from the manufacturer and I wouldn't be able to get both...made sense to me so I went with the SOPUS product, it's functionally identical to M1 5W30 as far as I am concerned.

[Linked Image]

good post, thanks for update, maybe that will save it.

Originally Posted by MParr
Not a blanket statement. It's too thin. It's too expensive. It's an endangered species.

Too thin for what?

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Anyone care to guess what the NOACK is with this newer SN+ version ?

I think all we can say for sure is that it is under 15% loss as a SN+/GF5 oil!
I don't see it on the d1G2 list as of yet, that would tell us it's under 13% loss.

When PPPP and PUP first came out, I remember that the former had about 10% Noack loss and the latter was about 11% for the 5W30s.
Those results disappeared from the SOPUS website before very long and I've never seen updates from the manufacturer.
Seemed strange to me at the time that the "premium" product had the higher loss, but both were good results and the PPPP was quite comparable to M1 5W30.
PPPP was on sale at Pep Boys with a $15 rebate card, so I bought a jug of 5W30 for my next change (which is coming up very soon). Don't shop there a lot but they have a location that is convenient for me and I stopped in after I saw the sale ad. M1 was just a bit higher with the same rebate and I thought I could double up with the XOM rebate, but the guys at the desk told me the $15 was actually from the manufacturer and I wouldn't be able to get both...made sense to me so I went with the SOPUS product, it's functionally identical to M1 5W30 as far as I am concerned.

The 5W30 is under 13% due to the it's ACEA A5 cert. The 0W20 is at least under 15%.

Valvoline has their modern engine oils which seem equivalent to Pennzoil Platinum. Valvoline Advanced Synthetic oil seems equivalent to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I think Valvoline did a better job at differentiating their oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back