What is the consistency of NuFinish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I have a old bottle of NuFinish. Shaking it and opening it, it was clear and thin as water. Normal?

How old is it?

It should be white in color after shaking.

I shook it well and it was clear. I just shook it really well and looked in the bottle, no residue in the bottom now. Now it's mixed and it's some what creamy but looks curdled. May not be factory fresh but is it usable close to reasonable performance?

I put this stuff on my vw and one week later it was ike I didnt do anything.

not good on clearcoat?

Whats good on clearcoat.

I park under tall white pines.

Absolutely toss it and don't issue any guff about me being free with your money.

When products freeze or otherwise go bad one or another ingredient volatilizes away leaving some glop you won't be able to spread....or will harden in place...or will pull fibers from your rag and harden.

Get real (a little). Old, lumpy Anti-Seize can be thinned with any thin oil and the lumps messaged out.
Old paste shoe polish seems never to go bad even when it's cracked in the can.
Finish products-floor polish, paints, waxes and glues have ALWAYS been a different story.

An old Finnish guy I worked with used to say, "Buy a new bottle and one less beer today".

And believe me, I know...it'll take years for the sting of waste to wear off but you'll live. On the other hand, you'll feel like a big dippy-doo if you create a huge sticky mess somewhere on your car. Then you'll be asking for solvents to remove old Nu-Finish.

Try some on the bonnet of a lawn tractor or side of a metal garbage can if you're so tortured.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I shook it well and it was clear. I just shook it really well and looked in the bottle, no residue in the bottom now. Now it's mixed and it's some what creamy but looks curdled. May not be factory fresh but is it usable close to reasonable performance?

Try applying it to something. If the curds spread out completely then it's about like using the paste version. If they don't, put it through a strainer to get them out.

Stick mixer - don't let the wife see
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Absolutely toss it and don't issue any guff about me being free with your money.

When products freeze or otherwise go bad one or another ingredient volatilizes away leaving some glop you won't be able to spread....or will harden in place...or will pull fibers from your rag and harden.

Get real (a little). Old, lumpy Anti-Seize can be thinned with any thin oil and the lumps messaged out.
Old paste shoe polish seems never to go bad even when it's cracked in the can.
Finish products-floor polish, paints, waxes and glues have ALWAYS been a different story.

An old Finnish guy I worked with used to say, "Buy a new bottle and one less beer today".

And believe me, I know...it'll take years for the sting of waste to wear off but you'll live. On the other hand, you'll feel like a big dippy-doo if you create a huge sticky mess somewhere on your car. Then you'll be asking for solvents to remove old Nu-Finish.

Try some on the bonnet of a lawn tractor or side of a metal garbage can if you're so tortured.

"Buy a new bottle and one less beer today". ... Words to live by.

Years ago, my step-father had an OLD bottle of NuFinish sitting around...like over 10 years old.

I shook it up well, and used it on my car. It beaded noticeably for nearly 2 years. Was super impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back