2012 MTHonda Civic 150k kms.....bad driveability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

So lately our Honda Civic has had bad driveability issues. If you even let off the gas a bit the car shudders. If you are in gear and try to apply gas quickly for highway merging the car really clunks/hiccups/lugs down hard. The clutch pedal is starting to feel stiff too. However, when the car clunks hard, the revs arent slipping so it doesnt feel like a worn clutch to me which I've had on another car.

Living in the prairies the problem was tolerable but after a drive through the Rockies the problem was really exposed. When going up slope in a appropriate gear, the car was lugging/clunking very frequently upslope.

I plan to take it to a mechanic soon but just wondering what I could be looking at? Flywheel problem or clutch disc? Motor mounts? Bad fuel delivery?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
I had a spring on the clutch disk crack and I was getting a shuddering at low speed when the car was cold. Once the pressure plate and clutch warmed up the shudder went away.

This was on a 1998 Civic with 150K miles. This car had 90% highway miles so I was very surprised (and disappointed) to see one of the four springs cracked.

change the plugs first. Ignition issues can often show up under load. Have you scanned for codes? Misfire codes can exist without throwing a CEL.

Fuel filter pump and regulator pressure too. Those Japmobiles have the best pumps in the industry. Still they can and do get tired and fail in different ways. It might just be tired and not putting out full PSI. If the filters clogged it will make the pump struggle when you put demands on it. I'd toss that old fuel filter if it's still on that firewall on your model straight off. Then I'd check the plugs and just toss new ones in( they're too cheap and old not to). Wires too if maybe if they look sketchy. You can check the resistance with an ohm meter and see if any are wildly different from the rest.
When I had my civics and CRXs I found the Honda hookup forums to be really helpful with diagnosing my issues . You might sign up with them.

Thanks for the replies, really great starting point! I just wanted to add that the hestitation was happening pretty consistently around 2800rpm.

So anyway, since my last post I also did some lurking on Honda forums and came across that always having the car in "Econ" mode can result in some unplesant throttle response. Just taking it off Econ mode has greatly helped when its only had the hestitation once over 2 days of driving.

I also went to the parts store and got it coded. There was no check engine light but a P0171:System Too Lean Bank 1 was still stored. Some more lurking made me realize this might have a few faults to check. I have the stock airbox in the car as it came up a few times that aftermarket intakes can trigger the problem a lot. I was thinking of starting with cleaning the MAF sensor but not sure if thats best?

Lastly, the Econ mode switch obviously didnt help the shuddering problem. Still consistently shudders when you let off the gas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back