Eco boost shudder,then loss of power

Status
Not open for further replies.

wog

As title states 2014 eco boost shudders and loses power,dealer has done fuel pressure switch?,spark plugs with boots ,and vacuum hoses nothing lasts long. I have warranty thru ford( premium care ) .this dealer is the sole technicians since new,the inconvenience of getting towed in every time has gotten old and tedious. They have had 3 or 4 wacks at fixing problem,anyone got any info on this issue,dealer seems to dance around with parts and causes. So anyone been down this path? What solved this problem?

i believe there was a problem of condensation somewhere in the turbo system that would cause this problem. forgot the exact part.

Couldn t tell you they were not exact on codes they claimed "numerous codes" ! Like i said they seem to be dancing on cause of this problem.

Originally Posted by wog
Condensate getting trapped in turbo plenum?

Water trapped in the intercooler.
Usually happens when driving in rain for a long period under constant speed.

First time you get on it, it can ingest a little water.

Not likely your issue.

Ouch!,think it is gonna make them come to an honest solution? Usually they deny any fault or guilt by ignorance. Call owner in to the party is only solution ,before courtroom.

Not much information to go on. We don't know what engine you are talking about. And, we don't know what codes have been pulled by the dealership. So any guess is just a guess.

This video shows what he did to solve the ecoboost misfiring issue. It involves drilling a hole to allow for condensate to drain from the charge air cooler.

Found reciept codes werepo451,131,151,they also changed coolant because we had a leak. That was not the problem and were told they found no leaks,this was in april,they also did boots and plugs at this time ,not covered by warranty.in may they did air intake hose that was off, guess when they did plugs they forgot to check intake hose. And then june of 18 the engine light came onand truck was buckingor shuddering,they couldn t duplicate at that time. Maybe you can make sense of this .

Thanks for info,will mention it to service writer,hope he willbe receptive to some outside help.

Originally Posted by KJSmith
Originally Posted by wog
Condensate getting trapped in turbo plenum?

Water trapped in the intercooler.
Usually happens when driving in rain for a long period under constant speed.

First time you get on it, it can ingest a little water.

Not likely your issue.

There is an easy fix for this, well publicized on F150 Forums.

How about YouTube to the rescue:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=f150+ecoboost+drill+hole+intercooler+

P0131 & P0151 are oxygen sensor related. P0451 is evaporative emission control sensor or problem. Is your vehicle using coolant? In other words, are you having to add coolant? If so, your coolant may be going out of the exhaust. Your vehicle has two oxygen sensors. One is before the catalyst and the other is after.

And this is why I bought a dongle for obd port. I also informed wife I wanted to get FCA software so I can diagnose before going to dealership. For less than 5.00 I can do misfires but not other modules. So far less than 3.00 and already paid for itself.

Lemme get this straight....
To fix a problem with these turbo engines, everyone is recommending DRILLING A HOLE in the intercooler so OIL can LEAK OUT REGULARLY every time to start the engine.

IIRC, naturally aspirated engines were never required to leak oil regularly to run normally.
When i was growing up many years ago, vehicles that leaked oil were considered broken and in need of repair/replacement.
Heck, my 31 year old BMW doesn't even leak/burn any oil!

...one step forward, two steps back.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Lemme get this straight....
To fix a problem with these turbo engines, everyone is recommending DRILLING A HOLE in the intercooler so OIL can LEAK OUT REGULARLY every time to start the engine.

IIRC, naturally aspirated engines never were required to leak oil regularly to run normally.
Heck, my 31 year old BMW doesn't even leak/burn any oil!

Back in my day engines that leaked oil were considered broken and in need of repair/replacement.

...one step forward, two steps back.
crazy2.gif

Not oil. Water. It condenses in the intercooler and then a big gulp goes thru the TB causing misfire, stalling etc.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Not oil. Water. It condenses in the intercooler and then a big gulp goes thru the TB causing misfire, stalling etc.

Not according to this vid.
When he starts the engine, you can clearly see oil coming out of the hole.
Go to 3:37
"See the oil come out, There's a little bit every time he starts the engine"
[/quote]
He clearly states that it's "oil" under the vehicle. All over the underside of the intercooler and the splash area.

So with all this technological advancements, we're now instructed to make mods to our vehicles to further pollute the environment just so they can run normally.

Boy, I've clearly been doing things wrong.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by wog
They have had 3 or 4 wacks at fixing problem, anyone got any info on this issue,dealer seems to dance around with parts and causes. So anyone been down this path? What solved this problem?

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Three words: get a lawyer.

I agree with Norman's advice. You qualify under the "Lemon Law" in most states if you have documented proof you have given the dealer 3 times to fix the same problem without success. I would pursue this path in hopes of getting a dealer buyback, and another crack at a new vehicle. Rather than continuing down this road without any positive results. The dealer has more than proven they can't, or else are not able to fix the problem.

And forget trying to fix it yourself. If they found out you were tampering with the vehicle in any way, shape, or form, they will use whatever evidence you've provided by doing so, in an attempt to discredit your ability at getting any legal recourse. They sold you a dog with fleas. Use the legal system to get rid of it on their dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back