ACEA A5 or above.

Last year we bought a new 2018 Hyundai Tucson with the 1.6 turbo GDI. We love the SUV.
Now on to the question. the owners manual specs ACEA A5 or above for the 1.6 turbo, no API for this motor but shows API for all the other motors.
I guess I am asking what makes this motor need a odd spec?
I have been using M1 5W30 and OEM filter. M1 lists ACEA A5

Just bought a used Elantra Sport with a higher output version of that engine and the owners manual is confusing.
What is above ACEA A5? My guess is ACEA A3 since Hyundai allows a 5W40 in these engines.
I put Pennzoil platinum 5W30 which listed ACEA A5 on the jug.

Hyundai oil recommendations are maddening. QS is recommended yet no QS oil in the US meets A5. PP, M1 are easily accessible A5 oils, so your choice is just fine.

I'd also assume your understanding of "A5 or above" is as good as any.

A5/B5: Stable, stay-in-grade engine oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in passenger car and light duty van gasoline and diesel engines designed to be capable of using low viscosity oils with high temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa s.

It also says, "These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines." Does anyone know any examples of gasoline engines and/or why? Just curious.

Originally Posted by 2003f7
Last year we bought a new 2018 Hyundai Tucson with the 1.6 turbo GDI. We love the SUV.
Now on to the question. the owners manual specs ACEA A5 or above for the 1.6 turbo, no API for this motor but shows API for all the other motors.
I guess I am asking what makes this motor need a odd spec?
I have been using M1 5W30 and OEM filter. M1 lists ACEA A5

ACEA specs are european specifications, JASO for japanese and API/SAE for north america

Maybe by "a5 or sbove" they are thinking like api system ... For example if older car says SM, then SN would be fine in that car. Since the system is backward compatible as far as I know.

My guess is " or above" was a typo. I don't think by "above" they mean a3/b4 for example! That would be very confusing for the consumer.
Maybe they are leaving room for the future in case a5+ comes to market meeting a5 and more ... Like dot 3 & 4!?

Didnt a1 become obsolete ? IF for any reason a5 is obsolete in the future and aX (a6?) takes over then "or the above" would cover it!

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Maybe by "a5 or sbove" they are thinking like api system ... For example if older car says SM, then SN would be fine in that car. Since the system is backward compatible as far as I know.

My guess is " or above" was a typo. I don't think by "above" they mean a3/b4 for example! That would be very confusing for the consumer.
Maybe they are leaving room for the future in case a5+ comes to market meeting a5 and more ... Like dot 3 & 4!?

They've used the term since 2011. I doubt it's a typo.

Originally Posted by dave1251
If you want further confusion DEXOS 1 Generation 2 is basically the ACEA A5 spec.

This is interesting. I've never thought of that connection.

Originally Posted by wemay
If you want further confusion DEXOS 1 Generation 2 is basically the ACEA A5 spec.

Nothing like muddying up the waters more than necessary.

2.0 N/A and 2.4 N/A

So, to make sure I understand: API specs for the NA engines, and ACEA A5 for the turbo?

Nothing like muddying up the waters more than necessary.

They are looking at it like we do with API. They spec A5 knowing in a couple of years it will be upgraded.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
2.0 N/A and 2.4 N/A

So, to make sure I understand: API specs for the NA engines, and ACEA A5 for the turbo?

No. A turbo oil would probably be A3.

That 's the way I look at it too...

Originally Posted by MrMoody
It also says, "These Oils are unsuitable for use in certain Engines." Does anyone know any examples of gasoline engines and/or why? Just curious.

That would be an engine that requires A3.

Back