Exhaust Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the 05 Toyota Matrix with 155k miles in for some exhaust work. There was a rust hole in the bend of the exhaust pipe by the rear axle. That was fixed. Prior to this about 2.5 years ago the donut gasket in front of the C.C. was replaced. A common issue on these cars. That had a one year warranty and I remember right at about the 11 month mark it was getting slightly loud again. Never got around to getting it fixed. Now the same muffler shop is saying that there are holes on top of the C.C. making it loud and the C.C. needs to be replaced. Is it common for a cat. to go bad because of holes on the top of it? The bottom of it looks fine. My guess and hope is the donut gasket needs replacement.

The shop quoted $575 for a Catco replacement. I'll prob try another shop and see what they say.

Thank you in advance.

A rusted through OE cat would be very rare even in the salt belt, the pipes on some mostly Japanese models sure but not the cat body.
You can repair the flanges and pipes most of the time if the body is okay, on Toyota cars aftermarket cats are the least desirable option so IMO its worthwhile making an effort to keep the original if its not setting any cat codes.
Go under and have a look see.

Thanks Trav. Forgot to mention there are no cat codes set. Just seems louder on start up mostly. The guy at the shop took me out to show me very quickly when the car wasn't running. I was thinking of getting the Felpro gasket along with a new spring kit if that's where the noise is coming from. Hopefully it's not the exhaust manifold gasket.

My Camry had exhaust leak at flex pipe and I replaced that pipe and piece along with OE 2nd cat converter for like $350~.

The flex pipe could be leaking also as mine had 2 holes in it

Last edited:
Get a Magnaflow cat and cat-back
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Now we're talking. I was just looking at one the other day on Summit Racing's site. They're so close by I can pick it up in person.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
My Camry had exhaust leak at flex pipe and I replaced that pipe and piece along with OE 2nd cat converter for like $350~.

The flex pipe could be leaking also as mine had 2 holes in it

The joys of living in the rust belt. Sounds like you received a good deal on that.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Sometimes that aftermarket stuff is competitively priced with OEM style parts, especially on older models where the inventory is just sitting.

Although modern mufflers are usually good for 15 or so years, depending where you are, they usually corrode at the top first. Corrosion on cats is more rare because they run so hot and burn off moisture. Let it cool down and see if you can feel the holes with your hand.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Although modern mufflers are usually good for 15 or so years, depending where you are, they usually corrode at the top first. Corrosion on cats is more rare because they run so hot and burn off moisture. Let it cool down and see if you can feel the holes with your hand.

The cat body is usually stainless if its OE, on most Euro cars the pipes are also.

A regular general auto repair shop is more likely to favor replacement for warranty reasons. Hunt up an exhaust shop. My brother had a flex pipe replaced on his Toyota for a decent price.

Yes, no need to replace the whole assembly. These are the best flex pipes I have used, never had one break or come unraveled, not cheap but they are in many cases better than OE. If a shop is doing the job ask for it or tell them you will supply it, just get the size and length.
The ones I use are the TurboFlex Couplings with Interlock Liner for most applications and for right under the turbo (if so equipped) the Stainless Steel Bellows Assemblies.
Vibrant are high quality Made in Canada pieces.

https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1022_1064

Mandatory emission requirements for life of exhaust and Toyota has to fix it under warranty. I think they are 12 year 150,000 miles not sure if it is whichever comes first or both

Originally Posted by spk2000
Mandatory emission requirements for life of exhaust and Toyota has to fix it under warranty. I think they are 12 year 150,000 miles not sure if it is whichever comes first or both

8 years or 80k miles. Whichever comes first

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Now the same muffler shop is saying that there are holes on top of the C.C. making it loud and the C.C. needs to be replaced. Is it common for a cat. to go bad because of holes on the top of it? The bottom of it looks fine. My guess and hope is the donut gasket needs replacement.

Stick a mirror under there and see for yourself.

This is also when one of those $10-$35 endoscope snake cameras you connect to your phone come in handy.

Mirror is exactly what I was thinking . Good call ! :)

Also , start the car and try feeling above the cat . Do so quickly , before things start to get hot .

I too thought OEM cats were stainless steel ?

How long do you anticipate keeping the car ?

Every time I read one of these accounts or watch a repair video from the salt / rust belt , I thank God I do not live there . Of course , you all may not have 100F temperatures to deal with ?

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back