Driven with no oil - Wife's 2000 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Leo99
Wow. Glad no injuries. What are you getting to replace it?

Likely an 08 or newer Pilot

I am so glad your family is safe.

Look at how the accord handled it. Trunk bedgrudgingly collapsed but the collapse stops hard at the beginning of the back seat, and at that point starts sending the energy up front (evidenced by the c-pillar/roof area. It did exactly what it's supposed to do. The proper folding of the rear likely saved your family some serious neck/back trauma. It was an offset impact at that.

My newlywed wife and our 4 kids were T-boned when a durango ran a red light at 40 mph, never touched the brakes. I was in the following car and watched the entire thing happen. Talk about alot of emotions cousing through your blood at once. They all walked away from the hit! The gen1 odyssey was caved in both left side doors, up to beginning to wrinkle the roof and floor, but I drove it for the next week (insurance miscommunication) and it drove as if it were on rails, the entire chassis was still rock solid. There were things about the ody I didn't care about, but honda gets my respect for well-designed crash protection.

Originally Posted by meep
I am so glad your family is safe.

Look at how the accord handled it. Trunk bedgrudgingly collapsed but the collapse stops hard at the beginning of the back seat, and at that point starts sending the energy up front (evidenced by the c-pillar/roof area. It did exactly what it's supposed to do. The proper folding of the rear likely saved your family some serious neck/back trauma. It was an offset impact at that.

My newlywed wife and our 4 kids were T-boned when a durango ran a red light at 40 mph, never touched the brakes. I was in the following car and watched the entire thing happen. Talk about alot of emotions cousing through your blood at once. They all walked away from the hit! The gen1 odyssey was caved in both left side doors, up to beginning to wrinkle the roof and floor, but I drove it for the next week (insurance miscommunication) and it drove as if it were on rails, the entire chassis was still rock solid. There were things about the ody I didn't care about, but honda gets my respect for well-designed crash protection.

I agree, although lots of cars these days are designed well and with few exceptions I'd feel safe in any of them.

For anyone interested in more 'crash footage' I got out and took some pictures today before the insurance company hauls it off. My 15yo was driving and her seat is fine. Not bent in any way even though it was closest to the impact. The wife was in the passenger seat, and hers is twisted to the point it can't/won't move. That car absorbed a tremendous amount of (offset) energy and my girls were safe. I can't ask any more than that.

Some background on the cause of the wreck. It was a fully loaded E350 Box Van. I don't have any info on the speed, but they (wife/kid) were slowing for a yellow/red light and the van never applied brakes. There are no skids, not even ABS marks. I went to the intersection and, nothing. Probably a 40-50mph offset impact. I'm going to talk with some of my friends in accident reconstruction for kicks and see what they say about it, just because I'm curious.

Link to the album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aXzoo7UhDLHYcomt8

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CBR.worm
Wow, that's scary. I'm glad they walked away.

Yea, now we're on to dealing with the lingering after-effects. Kiddo is ok, wife had a likely concussion that's keeping her out of work and away from loud noises. She's stopped by her job a couple times in the last week and was unable to stay. The noise gives her an instant headache, and it doesn't even have to be that loud.

Messing with the human brain can be a frightening thing. Only thing you can do is cross your fingers and hope that everything goes back to normal over time. Makes me think of people like Dale Jr that have had many many more and likely worse concussions and what it must have been like to recover time after time.

Ohh, and dealing with the insurance company is fun, said no-one ever.

I had a bad accident back in 98 and was told to bad. The attorney got truck fixed 10k damage but since I have been dealing with back issues since 17 my injuries weren't covered as nothing was broke. I never understood how being knocked out from hit and dents on both side of cab where bed tried to come in didn't warrant my neck or head aches from whiplash but it didn't. I now am waiting for neck surgery and another back but doctor stated neck surgery could put me in a wheelchair.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Wow, that's a bad hit....
Glad everyone is OK.
Go to the Honda dealership and get a new CR-V.

Exactly right. That was a hard lick.

Vehicles can easily be replaced. Obviously people cannot be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back