Recommendation for a 12v tire inflator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had a few harbor freights for a while and they work fine. The metal bodied ones are much much better than the plastic yellow ones, wait for a coupon.

Not 12v but I like my Ryobi 18v inflator. It works awesome. But buy the $12 warranty from Home Depot. When it dies off and on take it in for an easy replacement.

do you need the cig lighter plug or the battery clips?

I have a viair 87p, and I've been quite happy with it.. even used it to pump up a well pressure tank a couple times.

Viair is the best budget choice, but even those that use battery clamps because they draw too much current for a lighter outlet, are terribly slow compared to an air compressor. If you're a homeowner with a driveway I highly recommend a 110VAC compressor with a long hose instead.

The 12V inflators just aren't built to last. I once had a Q-Industries Masterflow MV-50 MF-1050 etc model. It was very popular in the off-road crowd for a while and I did get 10 years of use out of it but not that many uses during that time because I kept worrying it would break so I reserved it for when I really needed it portable. It lasted that long only because I repaired it at least 4 times, and I'd estimate the total running hours on it to be only 4 hours at most... probably not even that. Air compressor on the other hand, you'll get hundreds to thousands of hours and not have to shut it off every 5 minutes to let it cool down.

Literally, you don't really even want to run a 12V inflator for 5 minutes at a time because the heat buildup is very stressful on them. Many will spec a longer time than 5 minutes but feel the head to see how hot it gets then you tell me if rubber, plastic, potmetal, etc is going to do as well getting that hot. Again I had to repair one about once for every hour of runtime.

If you need something to stow in your vehicle for whatever reason, that you never use except in an emergency, then I would just pick any cheap thing made by a major brand, and still use a proper 110VAC air compressor for routine inflation needs. The smaller ones are not that expensive, you can get a compressor and 50' hose and couplings all for under $150 and have it last multiple times longer than any 12V inflator... and have it to use as an air compressor for tools too, if you spend a bit more so it isn't too low a CFM, or get one used if the budget is tight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Viair is the best budget choice, but even those that use battery clamps because they draw too much current for a lighter outlet, are terribly slow compared to an air compressor. If you're a homeowner with a driveway I highly recommend a 110VAC compressor with a long hose instead.

The 12V inflators just aren't built to last. I once had a Q-Industries Masterflow MV-50 MF-1050 etc model. It was very popular in the off-road crowd for a while and I did get 10 years of use out of it but not that many uses during that time because I kept worrying it would break so I reserved it for when I really needed it portable. It lasted that long only because I repaired it at least 4 times, and I'd estimate the total running hours on it to be only 4 hours at most... probably not even that. Air compressor on the other hand, you'll get hundreds to thousands of hours and not have to shut it off every 5 minutes to let it cool down.

Literally, you don't really even want to run a 12V inflator for 5 minutes at a time because the heat buildup is very stressful on them. Many will spec a longer time than 5 minutes but feel the head to see how hot it gets then you tell me if rubber, plastic, potmetal, etc is going to do as well getting that hot. Again I had to repair one about once for every hour of runtime.

If you need something to stow in your vehicle for whatever reason, that you never use except in an emergency, then I would just pick any cheap thing made by a major brand, and still use a proper 110VAC air compressor for routine inflation needs. The smaller ones are not that expensive, you can get a compressor and 50' hose and couplings all for under $150 and have it last multiple times longer than any 12V inflator... and have it to use as an air compressor for tools too, if you spend a bit more so it isn't too low a CFM, or get one used if the budget is tight.

Thanks.

I actually liked the Mf-1040 air compressor. I got it from Pep Boys for $20 when it was on sale, but it was a few years ago
smile.gif

For 12v use, Viair hands down. They are built better than most of the chain store offerings. I have had good use out of a low rpm direct drive model from advanced a few years ago.... it's a motor and a lump in naked metal, no case. It's reasonably quiet and has been used a lot, but I'll say this.... it's right up against the lighter fuse, so if you run it with the engine off and it stall, the fuse will blow. I see them still here and there for $60.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Not 12v but I like my Ryobi 18v inflator. It works awesome. But buy the $12 warranty from Home Depot. When it dies off and on take it in for an easy replacement.

I have a big set of Ryobi tools so the 18v inflator is awesome. Been using it for a couple of years. Has a decent tire gauge on it and doesn't take that long to fill up. Hasn't died on me yet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Nick1994

I have a big set of Ryobi tools so the 18v inflator is awesome. Been using it for a couple of years. Has a decent tire gauge on it and doesn't take that long to fill up. Hasn't died on me yet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256

I have the big one. To be honest I've replaced it like 5 times in almost 3 years, but that $12 warranty extends the 3 year warranty to 5. Real easy to replace.

What goes out usually is the display either doesn't display much of anything, or the pressure is way off. Like saying a car tire is 12 psi. The mechanics of it are fine.

I'm a fan of the little Black & Decker Air Station, I've had this little thing for well over 10 years. It works off 12v and 120v, just today I used it to help a friend with a flat on his Smart. Inflated the tire and followed him to Discount Tire, it saved the day again. This little guy has paid for itself time and time again.

[Linked Image]

I switched to using a bike floor pump for topping off my cars. Newer pumps made for Plus and Fat mountain bike tires fills car tires pretty well. Much quicker than getting my compressor out.

I use a Lezyne Classic Over Drive. All metal and wood with a screw-on chuck - very high quality.

I have 3 of them. One was a Campbell-Hausfield from Walmart had it 20+ years now and use it regularly. Accidentally cut cord spliced it together and still running several years later.

Bought an el cheapo from Big Lots for like $8 and it is cheap but works ok.

Bought a newer slime with digital readout around $25. You set it to pressure you want and it shuts off. This is now my go to when not close to garage for air. Only thing I don't like is the twist on valve stem seal. Other are all traditional lever style easier and quicker on/off.

I have 4 vehicles and want one in each car - Montero doesn't go out much except when 4wd is needed on or off road

Last edited:
I suppose how often it'll be used is a consideration. Since we don't know.....shoot for higher quality.

After borrowing a neighbor's ancient cheappie I decided I finally needed one. I wish this thread had existed then.

I settled on a Harbor Freight (forgive me) #69284. It's 12v and metal.

The built in analog gauge jibes perfectly with my gauges which I believe to be accurate.

edit: I prefer the thread-on hose connector as it is positive and I've had nothing but bad luck with the lever style.
The neoprene collar inside them wears or stiffens and the lever-or it's hinge pin-is often cheap and bends/breaks.

Also, I gotta add that the offerings at Sears, while sporting pretty red paint jobs, displayed lower apparent quality.

I admit to having a resentment toward Sears' infuriating "Good, Better and Sear's Best" compounding of needless features.

I also have a Viair 88p and it has been very good. I bought that model because it moved a tad bit more air, had a longer hose and connections, and a thread on chuck for just about he same amount as the HF and others. I actually found the cheapest place to get it, for me at least, was tirerack.com. The only thing about it I didn't like is that it didn't come with a carry bag, but I bought the $8 12inch tool bag at HF and it worked perfectly.

Viair 88p

120 PSI pressure gauge
L.E.D. light
Dual battery clamps
Solid brass twist-on tire chuck
Weight: 4.75 lbs.
10-foot power cord
16-foot air hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back