2 stroke oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
Can I use 50:1 oil gas mix in a chainsaw that uses 40:1 mix. I keep 50:1 on hand all the time because my line trimmer, and leaf blower use that mix, but my seldomly used chainsaw calls for a 40:1 mix. I don't want to blow up the chainsaw, but I also don't to buy and keep a 40:1 mix as I'd never use it all.
Thanks for your input.

You be much better off mixing 40:1 and just using that in everything. A little extra oil in the 50:1 is much better than not enough in the 40:1 machine, and likely the motor won't even notice. Plenty of people run their 2-Stroke machines on much richer mixtures than what the factory recommends. They'll run cooler and likely last longer as the higher ratio mixtures are generally recommended to appease the EPA.

Last edited:
Same here 40:1 in everything is what I run in everything and most equipment specs 50:1 44:1 technically 3oz per gallon simple easy,

I'd stick with the 40:1 mix, or even 32:1. I'd rather be a little over with a 2 cycle mix than under. I run 32:1 to one in all my OPE now, which is 4 ounces/gallon. If I have a small project at the end of the season and need gas I can mix up a quart and use one ounce of oil, which is nice and easy.

Do the 40:1 for all equipment. The difference between 40:1 and 50:1 is a mere .64 ounces. This small amount of oil diluted in 128 ounces of fuel (gallon) is quite simply NOT going to cause or prevent any form of engine damage.

Don't forget that you're lubricating the wrist pin and bottom end bearing with this oil. Mixing leaner simply doesn't make economical sense. Chainsaws tend to be run at full throttle and this means the lubricant is passing through the engine much faster than for something that gets idle time like the string trimmer.

I personally use 32:1 in every two-cycle engine I own. I specify JASO FD/FC or ISO-L-EGD be printed on the bottle. I like to see an oil film on the bottom end of my equipment when I disassemble them. All seem to burn cleanly but not all leave a film on the crank. My favorite is Motul 710 FWIW.

32:1 allows me to use ANY mix oil I choose. Current fav is Valvoline universal. $5.99 qt @ Auto Zone. Mixing a qt at a time allows me to use 87 E 10. Costs under a buck a qt. I keep the mix in an empty pre-mix can. I tried a 40:1 and sure, the Stihl saw loved it. But the stuff that gives that performance burns fast.and cost 5-6$ a qt. I'm more into thrift and lubrication than max performance
grin2.gif

I think that the ratio does not seem to matter much( within reason). The rest of the saw or Wacker usually wears out before the engine does. Back in my 2 stroke atv days I ran 40:1 if trail riding and 32:1 if blasting sand dunes just because I felt better about it.

Perhaps. It doesn't affect the performance of tool to a noticeable degree though, so it can't be too far off stoich-a- whatzis 14.2 :1 A/F ratio. Some oil does burn especially when you use TC-W3 which is ashless. Not a race tune going on here
grin2.gif

Do what ever lets you sleep at night. As long as you are usuing good oil and gas and maintain the equipment it will never care for normal use.

Thanks everyone for the great info, good facts here not just opinions which is appreciated. @bobdoo I'm fortunate to have a gas station a just down the road that sells Pure ethanol free gasoline 90 octane. Needless to say Ive been running this gas in all of my equipment since this gas station opened last year.

speaking of oils-I discovered a good quality tcw3 oil at autozone . its only 4$ for a quart! stp 2cycle . its fairly new. I have run it the past 3 months in all my 2 cycles in my lawn biz. burns clean for tcw3 -works as well as any low priced oil I have used. have run it at 40.1 and 50.1 lower smoke than some. a bargin at 4$ per qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back