Help me pick one AWD slightly pre owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bobdoo
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Do you care to share your experience?

Two blown engines. Bought new, 3k mile Mobil 1 & new filter oil changes.

"Blown." Ok. What year? What engine? Blown how?

Was your Mobil 1 oil change using the specified oil?

No-of course not! I added water and sand to it...

lol.gif

I like your sense of humor!

Do you care to share your experience?

Two blown engines. Bought new, 3k mile Mobil 1 & new filter oil changes.

My friend had blown engine in Audi, did 5k changes with Mobil1 synthetic, except he used wrong Mobil1 synthetic. It sludged to the point of completely loosing pressure, and then rest is pretty obvious.
I on other hand had same engine in perfect condition for some 120k before I got itch for another car.
I would say, it is not Audi, so maybe it is not for you.

Last edited:
Glad someone thinks he's funny.

It drives me insane when people come by and sprinkle worthless nuggets of "knowledge" without actually saying anything of value.

Now, if he had some something like: "I had a '15 A4. I bought it new had had the engine replaced twice for ___ issue," then his post would have merit and be relevant advice.

Looking through his post history I see that he once owned an '06 A4 so, while he may have had issues, they're not really relevant to the OP's consideration of a '15 - '16.

Honestly, if he had posted anything more than "Audi bad," it would have been helpful information.

Originally Posted by edyvw
My friend had blown engine in Audi, did 5k changes with Mobil1 synthetic, except he used wrong Mobil1 synthetic. It sludged to the point of completely loosing pressure, and then rest is pretty obvious.

What Mobil 1 synthetic oil turns to sludge in 5K miles?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

In 1.8T, M1 5W30, which is not oil it should be used in these vehicles. These engines were notorious for sludge. It did not help that he used filter provided by fast oil change places, which means small capacity as they used normally large capacity filters.
But yeah, at 80K engine was blown.

In 1.8T, M1 5W30, which is not oil it should be used in these vehicles. These engines were notorious for sludge. It did not help that he used filter provided by fast oil change places, which means small capacity as they used normally large capacity filters.

Sounds like a terribly [censored] design if it died using mobil 1 and having frequent enough changes.

Sounds like a terribly [censored] design if it died using mobil 1 and having frequent enough changes.

Design? 1.8T was excellent engine. You just had to use appropriate oil and filter. Not much to ask.
I have seen them with 350k and more on the clock.

Last edited:

Design? 1.8T was excellent engine. You just had to use appropriate oil and filter. Not much to ask.

What sort of Gucci oil did it demand? How does that jive with the Magnussen?

Originally Posted by Ws6

What sort of Gucci oil did it demand? How does that jive with the Magnussen?

VW502.00. Magnussen states that you still have to use what manufacturer says you should use. And M1 5W30 is not VW502.00.

Last edited:
Glad someone thinks he's funny.

It drives me insane when people come by and sprinkle worthless nuggets of "knowledge" without actually saying anything of value.

Honestly, if he had posted anything more than "Audi bad," it would have been helpful information.

Yeah, because the actual FACT that my pos a4 blew two properly-maintained engines is completely useless info (if you are a VAG apologist).

You didn't answer his question. What Mobil 1 synthetic oil turns to sludge in 5K miles? I will answer it for you... no Mobil 1 will turn to sludge in 5k miles unless there is some kind of engine design problem. The brand of oil filter used has nothing to do with whether or not the oil itself turns to sludge. I have personally seen these engines sludged-up even when the car has been meticulously maintained BY THE DEALER. The 2.0T also has had major problems, cam timing chain tensioners fail and then they like to eat timing chains which can/will cause major EXPENSIVE engine damage, I have personally seen failures on cars with under 55k miles (there are several class action lawsuits on this). This necessitates changing the tensioner and chains at regular intervals (PRICEY!) as part of the maintenance routine if you don't want this to happen. And then there are the ignition coils that overheat and fail, A/C problems, plastic trim and wire insulation that crumbles, etc, etc, etc...

Looking through his post history I see that he once owned an '06 A4 so, while he may have had issues, they're not really relevant to the OP's consideration of a '15 - '16.
Actually, it does. It points to the fact that VW/Audi has a LONG history of design problems and reliability/durability issues going back as far as I can remember, including the air cooled engines of the pre-emission control era. Most of you are not old enough to remember how bad the VW Rabbits and Audi Foxs were in the 70s. I do. I worked on them.

Last edited:
OP I'm going to recommend an lightly used Jeep Cherokee Latitude or latitude plus 4x4 with either the 2.4L or 3.2L.

Non DI Engines
Fantastic 4x4 capability
ZF 9 speed (not the best shifter, but durable)
At or below your budget and basically brand new. Redesigned front looks sharp IMO.

I see these with 5k miles for under 20k. Might be able to buy one new with current rebates if you're okay with a Latitude 4x4 with cloth interior. New 2019 Cherokee latitude 4x4

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
OP I'm going to recommend an lightly used Jeep Cherokee Latitude or latitude plus 4x4 with either the 2.4L or 3.2L.

Non DI Engines
Fantastic 4x4 capability
At or below your budget and basically brand new. Redesigned front looks sharp IMO.

I see these with 5k miles for under 20k. Might be able to buy one new with current rebates if you're okay with a Latitude 4x4 with cloth interior. New 2019 Cherokee latitude 4x4

The problem is the materials Jeep/FCA uses. The vehicle will rot around the engine and ZF.

Originally Posted by donnyj08

Non DI Engines
Fantastic 4x4 capability

DO NOT GET THE 2.4! They're known to burn oil. The 3.2 is just all around a significantly better engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back