Street Triple oil mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My bike is due for an oil change but it seems good oil is hard to find at a decent price around here. I have been running Motul 300V for over a year now, about 2000-3000km.

I have about 1.3L of Motul 300V 10w40 left from last time, along with an older 1L Mobil 1 mx4t 10w40. The 300V is out of stock, I could get a 4L from Amazon but would have to wait before doing the change. I found some Castrol power 1 racing 4t 10w50 for 20$/L.

I think I need about 3L for the change. How's 1L of mobil1 mx4t + 1L of Motul 300V + 1L of castrol power 1 racing 4t (10w50, while others are 10w40, there was no 10w40 at the store).

(Also, I hear the 300v isn't the best for street use, not sure how true that is)

Last edited:
You'll be fine with that mix. I have a Tiger 800 which is essentially the same motor and you'd be shocked at the oils I run in it and get fine protection/performance.

That's 1800 miles at most in USA speak. Have the rides been short commuter trips or longer day rides spaced-out over the year?

One year and 1800 miles on a quality oil such as 300v I would leave it in there without hesitation. Take it for a 100 to 200 km to ride to burn anything off and it'll be good to go for another year.

Originally Posted by Bonz
One year and 1800 miles on a quality oil such as 300v I would leave it in there without hesitation. Take it for a 100 to 200 km to ride to burn anything off and it'll be good to go for another year.

Agree 100%. My motorcycle use has dropped off over the last few years due to having company vehicles, and I've moved the oil change interval out to 2 years or 5000km, whichever comes first.

I use it for commuting every day, a lot of stop and go. The oil has darkened and it seems like the level has dropped (more than it has ever dropped before). I tend to change it on about a yearly basis and I don't do more than 2000km/yr really.

Also, isn't the 300v made to be changed more often?

Last edited:
300v is not made to be changed more often. This is the world's premier oil analysis website, where did that info come from? Look at the link below... You can find many folks that have tested that oil.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3481549/Motul_300V_10W40_double_ester,

300V is a top-tier oil and you are changing it too soon.

Why not go with a less expensive conventional oil then? The oil change interval mileage or time, honestly, simply doesn't warrant a synthetic of that high of caliber. It is extended oil change intervals the synthetic gives and it's getting drained well before any advantage would show up.

Here's a quote from that link you shared: "But I don't want to use it if there's some reason I shouldn't be. Some of the things I've seen posted by people (who knows if they know anything or not)

-Race use only, needs to be changed quickly because it breaks down
-It's a 'high pressure oil' and doesn't circulate well at idle"

For comparison, M1 10w40 4T is labeled a racing oil (13.4 cSt new oil). My knowledge says that simply means it is made at the lower end of the 40 weight viscosity spectrum for the least amount of pumping loss but still maintains a 40 weight designation. I provided a link that shows the Motul (even lower cSt 13.1 new) does not break down. It had a 7.4 TBN remaining (or close to that, it's a blurry image) with a flashpoint of 400.

And I would pay heed to the part about "who knows if they know anything or not". Because motul 300v is a fine Street oil. Analysis proves that, nothing on the Ducati forum is going to change that, which by the way I did not see any analysis other than the armchair variety.
smile.gif

And there is no basis for Motul saying to run a 3000 mile interval. That is a top-notch ester oil and seems like they just want you to change it more often because it's their most expensive. They give no reason as to why the oil would not be suitable past 3000 miles and I would not put stock in shorter change intervals because of that. The only reason would be it starts so low in the 40 wt category that it may sheer to the high 30 weight category within 3000 Miles, which is no reason to change your oil if all else is equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back