Replace all coils or just the bad one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by dishdude
I think I'd just replace the bad one, at that mileage this thing is one major repair away from the scrapyard. Plus if it was driven that long with a misfire, there's a good chance the cat was cooked and I'm not sure this vehicle is worth replacing it.

I was wondering about that. Wife drove it about 45 miles with the misfire.

Just replace the bad one. Cat may be hurt now too. Sadly Car is at end of service life.
I really liked out 2005 Rav. with a stick.
The new ones cost to much and aren't any "fun". like the older ones.

I'd just get her a "near new" 2015 Nissan Rogue Select for about $9K with 45 K on it.
There is value there, not in a new $27K / $450 a month Rav 4.

In the past I think the OP has mentioned that the RAV is AWD and the rear diff has been making noise for a long time. I think the last 100k miles or so on the original fluid. The trans has seen one drain and fill over the 370k miles. Given this scenario I'd prob just replace the one coil since the trans/rear diff is suspect.

Moral of the story is that you should buy another of the same vehicle with low mileage, well maintained and strip the old one for spare parts. Clearly those vehicles can go the distance.

This is how I keep my repair costs rock bottom on my 80s cars. I have a friend with a big property and a barn and I have one a couple parts cars there, so I can always grab spare parts.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
In the past I think the OP has mentioned that the RAV is AWD and the rear diff has been making noise for a long time. I think the last 100k miles or so on the original fluid. The trans has seen one drain and fill over the 370k miles. Given this scenario I'd prob just replace the one coil since the trans/rear diff is suspect.

The front transaxle leaks. I fill it up every oil change.

The ATF has had 2 qts exchanged and then 1 more qt exchanged. It's had whine for the past 200k miles.

The original rear diff fluid was replaced about 30k miles ago.

It's the trans that is suspect. And it burns about a qt of oil every 700 miles.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully it can make it to 400k esp since the wife likes it so much. Oil is cheap and just keep her topped off. I have an 05 Matrix and a '12 Camry so I like reading your reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back