ATF Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to do a line off fluid exchange on the 05 Toyota Matrix and wondering which line to disconnect. There's two of them that feed into the radiator. Is it the left or right line that feeds into the radiator? I'm hoping to disconnect the rubber hose with my hands instead of a special if possible. Probably pump out 3 qts/refill then repeat. So exchange about 6 qts. If there are any other tips I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance.

I would imagine you could pull 1 and start the engine.
If it squirts out, you know it is the radiator inlet side.
Some people use compressed air to flush the radiator portion.

I would probably just do a spill and fill.
Please post your results.
Good luck.

If it's possible to install a small auxiliary cooler in front it would make it that much easier plus the benefits of the cooler. I take one clamp off my hose going to my cooler to do my fluid exchange.

Edit: just realized you said it's rubber hoses. I'm used to most of them being steel lines going into the rad.

I was only taking the pan off every 2nd or 3rd exchange because it's so much more of a mess and hassle to do a pan drop.

Now in going to do it every time to clean the magnet since the mileage is up to 270k on this transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Edit: just realized you said it's rubber hoses. I'm used to most of them being steel lines going into the rad.

There's two steel lines that come from the trans but the last foot or so before it gets to the radiator are rubber hoses. I guess I have a 50/50 shot of pulling the correct one. The fluid is supposed to come out slow. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the pan for a drain/fill also. But thought this would be a better way to get more of the old fluid out.

In this diagram it is part 32922A. I highly recommend draining the unit and changing the filter first then refill and then do the line off.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Glad I asked as that clears some things up for me on how to proceed with this.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I would use drain plug and do 2 drain / refills.

No way I'd want to mess with those lines.....

No problem, normal squeeze hose clamps the hose comes right off. Line off is the best and easiest thing to do on these cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back