DOT disallows Delta ban on Pitbulls as service animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the loyalest dogs I've seen are Pitbulls.

some of the nicest dogs I've seen are Pitbulls.

I think the meanest dogs I've seen are probably Rottweilers or Dobermans, and even some St. Bernards

Have I made the assumption that all Rottweilers, Dobermans and St. Bernards are mean killer dogs?

of course not, I'm not close-minded.

if you simply condemn that Pitbulls are mean killer dogs on limited experience or hearsay then you might as well say all dogs.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I love dogs, and all animals. But pitbulls have a reputation for a reason. Every owner thinks they will never snap and never bite anyone, until it happens. Dog owners are 100% responsible for their pets. Any court of law will give the win to the person that got bit due to the lack of total control of a dog by it's owner.

Yep. I agree 10000000 %

My brother has a Pit Bull, she is one of the nicest, most well behaved, and smartest dogs I have ever encountered. She wouldn't hurt a fly. IMO the problem isn't the breed it is the person training the dog. A Poodle can easily be a viscous biter, and a German Shepard, or Lab a killer. It is all in how the animal is raised and trained.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I love dogs, and all animals. But pitbulls have a reputation for a reason. Every owner thinks they will never snap and never bite anyone, until it happens. Dog owners are 100% responsible for their pets. Any court of law will give the win to the person that got bit due to the lack of total control of a dog by it's owner.

Yep. I agree 10000000 %

+1 (more)

Human breeding messing with the dog traits = massive uncertainty. No compelling reason to risk it given the documented history. Drive your car, leave it at home with family? Sorry, not a compelling and over-riding need. No bigger dog lover than I, but the genetic facts be facts.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The same DOT just changed the rules to allow miniature horses to fly in the cabin too.

If the government is going to allow this then the pet owner should carry the full responsibility in case something happens. The airlines are between a Rock and a hard spot.

I've been told by a lawyer dogs and horse are the only two animals which qualify as service animals.

OP she is a sweet heart and from experience pitbulls are the most loving and easy to train dogs. Too bad certain people discovered this also.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I've been told by a lawyer dogs and horse are the only two animals which qualify as service animals.

Either only in Arizona, or a very bad lawyer...

Originally Posted by 14Accent
my dog is no more likely to bite anyone than my neighbors. However, in the event something does happen, I want to be protected.

Man, if I had to be worried about my neighbors biting me I'd be looking for new neighbors. Doesn't anyone practice good etiquette anymore?

Anyways, I know what you mean. I've got a pitbull too, about 32lbs with a nice brindle coat. She plays with all the grandkids, and lets the kids lay on her or do whatever all without complaint or growling, and then sleeps in bed with us at night.

Pitbulls are the black rifles of the animal kingdom.

My Pitt is now 9 years old. She's about 65-70 lbs. She loves people and wants to greet everyone she sees and is extremely well behaved. She's not good around other dogs because she was bitten by a great dane that was trained to be mean by a teenage delinquent.

One night several years ago, I woke-up at 2AM to the sound of a strange voice in my house. I came downstairs and my dog is sitting on the couch with her head on the lap of some lady I don't know. The elderly lady had Alzheimer's and walked into the house because she was cold. The dog didn't bark or "sound the alarm" because she didn't sense danger and also didn't sense the lady was in apparent distress. (Happy ending, we cared for the lady until police arrived. They had been looking for her for hours. She lived 1/4 mile away).

I've had Pitts and other breed dogs all my life. They are no different than any other dog. They are the responsibility of their owner. There are a lot of people out there that have no business owning dogs.

P1000047.JPG

Originally Posted by Dave9
I want anyone with a pit bull put in prison.

There is no excuse for the pretend "open mind" that allows vicious killer animals to exist in society. They might as well be lions or crocodiles, and when someone tries to claim "service animal" my thoughts are "mentally incompetent person who can't be allowed to make decisions".

If you live in the desert and are being attacked by lions too often then you need that. If you are not, you are a criminal, immoral, reckless, idiot for owning a pit bull.

When someone asks for money as payment for your debt, do you whip out a razor blade and slash them? As ridiculous as the analogy seems, that is about what it is to have a pit bull if you aren't some shut in antisocial hick living in the woods where you never contact other human beings.

Remember something. There are many great breeds of dog out there. You choose pit bull, you choose to be someone who wants to harm other people. Don't feed me the lies and nonsense about how they are great pets, because there are many other breeds that are better pets. An intelligent person does not choose a pit bull. A person who has ego but is stupid, needs to go in prison for choosing one.

It's no different than if I had an alligator or rabid wolf, I could make excuses about how ideally it's great, when the truth is, it's nothing but a way to attack people. Hence, why owners belong in prison.

Do you need to see pictures of mauled children for my point to seem valid? I don't want to put that out there, I don't want to see those pics again either!

I want anyone who thinks this way put in prison. Ignorance at its finest, and just another reason America is going down the tubes, IGNORANCE. Im guessing you wont care enough to look into the fact these dogs were considered the "nanny dogs" for decades, they would watch the kids while the parents were working. There is no excuse for not having an open mind and seeing both sides of the argument with open eyes and ears. An intelligent person does not spew hatred and false accusations. Your analogies make no sense what so ever, and I would reconsider any type of argument you are trying to instigate here. How would having a dog equate to killing someone over a debt? My pits, actually all 8 in our extended family, get along well with the other dogs and children, and especially my 18 month old son. They are a product of their environment, much like you and me, and based off your statement, I can make a few assumptions as well.

https://i.redd.it/9xf0qek5u0p11.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
I want anyone with a pit bull put in prison.

There is no excuse for the pretend "open mind" that allows vicious killer animals to exist in society. They might as well be lions or crocodiles, and when someone tries to claim "service animal" my thoughts are "mentally incompetent person who can't be allowed to make decisions".

If you live in the desert and are being attacked by lions too often then you need that. If you are not, you are a criminal, immoral, reckless, idiot for owning a pit bull.

When someone asks for money as payment for your debt, do you whip out a razor blade and slash them? As ridiculous as the analogy seems, that is about what it is to have a pit bull if you aren't some shut in antisocial hick living in the woods where you never contact other human beings.

Remember something. There are many great breeds of dog out there. You choose pit bull, you choose to be someone who wants to harm other people. Don't feed me the lies and nonsense about how they are great pets, because there are many other breeds that are better pets. An intelligent person does not choose a pit bull. A person who has ego but is stupid, needs to go in prison for choosing one.

It's no different than if I had an alligator or rabid wolf, I could make excuses about how ideally it's great, when the truth is, it's nothing but a way to attack people. Hence, why owners belong in prison.

Do you need to see pictures of mauled children for my point to seem valid? I don't want to put that out there, I don't want to see those pics again either!

They aren't mean natured dogs.. they're also known as nanny dogs. Look it up.

Ever meet a chihuahua or Pekingese? These are known "mean" one family dogs. (I'm being generous; it's more like one person dogs.)

Yes a bitbull is larger; we know. Makes zero difference on an animal that was raised right.

https://time.com/2891180/kfc-and-the-pit-bull-attack-of-a-little-girl/

"Pit bulls make up only 6% of the dog population, but they're responsible for 68% of dog attacks and 52% of dog-related deaths since 1982, according to research compiled by Merritt Clifton, editor of Animals 24-7, an animal-news organization that focuses on humane work and animal-cruelty prevention."

"Another report published in the April 2011 issue of Annals of Surgery found that one person is killed by a pit bull every 14 days, two people are injured by a pit bull every day, and young children are especially at risk. The report concludes that "these breeds should be regulated in the same way in which other dangerous species, such as leopards, are regulated." That report was shared with TIME by PETA, the world's largest animal-rights organization."

Last edited:
Statistics don't lie. From 1982 - 2014 bully breed dogs caused more serious injury and deaths than all other breeds combined, according to the editors of Animals 24-7 who collected and compiled data on 5460 dog attacks that resulted in serious injury or death and in which the breed was identified.

In nearly every case when a "bully" breed has mauled or killed a child, the owners of the dog claim that was always sweet and gentle, right up to the point that it turned.

Dogbite.org has compiled statistics from 2018 on fatal dog attacks. Once again the bully breeds were responsible for more fatalities than other breeds by far. They also have an eye opening psychological study of the owners and the way the employ strategies to disguise and deflect the real nature of their dogs by engaging in distortions, denial and deflecting/projecting blame after an attack.

2018-dog-bite-fatality-chart.jpg

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Dave9 said:
Ever meet a chihuahua or Pekingese? These are known "mean" one family dogs. (I'm being generous; it's more like one person dogs.)

Ever see a chihuahua kill a child?
Ever hear of Pekingese running in packs killing other animals?

Your argument isn't valid and is an attempt to deflect on the real nature of the subject, which is the bully breeds.

I believe part of the 'dog just snapped' is just ignorance and denial of owners. I work with a dog trainer and also have owned several dogs that were over 200 lbs. If they are not socialized and we'll trained with consistency, you are making a problem. It's no different than the responsibility you have driving or doing anything that could impact others if done badly. I am regularly alarmed by the behavior people tolerate and believe is normal in their dog. They are fooling themselves and creating a hazard by allowing what is aggression and fear in their dog to persist. The number of times I've heard 'he's just like that' or ' it's just play' make me wonder about the owner's sanity. There are dogs that should not ever have pups because of genetic poor behavior, and owners that shouldn't have dogs because they can make a good dog bad.

Never seen it. However, I have seen people put up with aggression and poor behavior just because their dog is small. It's baloney, and the owners should be called out for it. Dogs need to fit into their families and neighborhoods no matter their size.

Since some of you are seeing through oddly colored glasses and are intent on getting this thread locked, let's go:

Do we need to ban all cars because of the 1 drunk driver?
Do we need to ban all scissors because of the 1 kid that ran with them and got hurt?
Do we need to ban all candy and bubblegum because of the kid that choked to death on it?

Emphatically, NO! This is not political in the least. This country was founded on one great underlying foundation: FREEDOM, with individual responsibility to the community. This is not the world of "Minority Report" yet, thank goodness, where you are guilty and convicted for a thought. If you want to drink and drive, you can. If you want to do something retarded that endangers others, you can. But when you do and cause harm to another person or property, there will be consequences all the way up to and including death by a jury of your peers. Every choice has a consequence, and you can never protect against every possible mode of someone else injuring you. YOU therefore, have the freedom (and responsibility) to take precautions to protect yourself and your family to whatever length you deem fit.

Back to the OP's point, you cannot discriminate or stereotype against a specific individual, as there have been many good (and some not so good) reinforcements of this tenet over the past 150 years.

Whatever you do don't lie to your insurance company when they send out their dog questionnaire. Having them drop your insurance or raising your rates 200% or more because of your pit bull is perfectly within their rights. Same as a teenager driving a Corvette, rates are going to be high. Why? Claims. Pay out more claims for pitbulls than Golden Retrievers so the cost is higher. Nothing personal. Your dog kills and injures more people than other breeds. Our actuary has deemed you not insurable or has raised the premium to reflect the risk. Lying to your insurance company won't end well for you if there is ever an issue with your dog causing harm to a human and you did not disclose it. Everything you own and every thing you worked for......

Go by municipal laws and insurance statistics. Many cities have a ban in place on Pit Bulls and other aggressive breeds. They name them "aggressive breeds" for a reason. Many homeowners insurance policies will not give you liability coverage if you own one of these breeds. German Shepard's, Rottweiler's, Pit Bull's, Doberman's, Bull Mastiff's, along with several other breeds are lumped into this category.

The reason is because they attack with the most frequency, and cause the most damage when they do. We just bought a new home, and when I purchased a homeowners insurance policy, they asked me if I had a dog. I told them yes, and the next question was what breed is it. When I said a 16 pound toy Poodle mix, it was not a problem. If it had been one of the breeds I just mentioned, they would not write a liability policy. There is a reason for that.

Insurance is a game of statistics. The odds of it attacking or biting someone are against you if you own a large, aggressive breed. Or what they determine as such. It's much the same if you insure a 700+ horsepower Dodge Demon, as opposed to a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry.

And while a sleeping Pit Bull certainly comes off as docile, all animals sleep. Even 20 foot Nile Crocodile's. They just don't do it on the family couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back