2010 F-150 5.4 3V- Issues imminent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an update from the service advisor, he said it went well with the adjuster who came out today. He's thinking they'll cover it with OEM parts but we'll have a final answer by tomorrow afternoon

Originally Posted by panthermike
Just got an update from the service advisor, he said it went well with the adjuster who came out today. He's thinking they'll cover it with OEM parts but we'll have a final answer by tomorrow afternoon

That's good to hear. However, I'd love to know what went wrong.

Typically the 5.4's lose oil pressure to the cylinder heads, causing phaser problems. This is caused by internal leaks on the timing chain adjusters and the oil pump itself.

Is the dealer going to rebuild your engine? Unless metal particles circulated, I doubt the lower end is shot, as they are very tough.

I've got about 130K on my 5.4 and I probably should install the known good parts before mine suffers the same fate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by andyd
Put some thicker oil in it at least 5 w 30, 10 w 30 would be better.
grin2.gif

10w-40 is Fords recommendation for noisy cam phasers [what ever Ford calls them}

Nope it was a Tech's recommendation nothing from Ford said anything about using 10W40.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by andyd
Put some thicker oil in it at least 5 w 30, 10 w 30 would be better.
grin2.gif

10w-40 is Fords recommendation for noisy cam phasers [what ever Ford calls them}

Nope it was a Tech's recommendation nothing from Ford said anything about using 10W40.

Correct, I have never found anything official in the TSB lists. That being said running 5W30 would not be a bad thing. The same engines in Australia called for a 5/10W40.

When I was married, the wife had a 91 Geo Prizm. She got drunk one night and ran over one of those parking blocks you pull up to in a parking lot. Some how, it put a hole in the oil pan. She was too drunk to realize it had no oil when it it suddenly stopped running after she started driving it. It had a drivetrain warranty. But, it was worded to install an engine from a salvage yard with the same mileage or lower (62K). We found one with 44K miles and after a $100 deductible all was well.
21.gif

Cujet- so far as to what went wrong; all i've heard so far is the tech suspected the cam bearings. I will ask when i talk to him again tonight.

Dave- It's a burgundy Lariat with 4wd

Originally Posted by panthermike
Cujet- so far as to what went wrong; all i've heard so far is the tech suspected the cam bearings. I will ask when i talk to him again tonight.

Dave- It's a burgundy Lariat with 4wd

OK, if that's so, what might be required is to repair/replace the heads, cam chains, tensioners and guides, oil pump (with melling) .

Fun fact about the Ford modular engines, they don't have cam bearings. The cams ride directly on the head. I have read there is a company who will machine the heads for a replaceable bearing.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Fun fact about the Ford modular engines, they don't have cam bearings. The cams ride directly on the head. I have read there is a company who will machine the heads for a replaceable bearing.

Oh that's interesting....

Only thing that I can offer is if the warranty company wants to use an reman engine, fight tooth and nail to use anything other than ATK engines. Be wary as they come under a number of names, for instance O'Reilly sells them as Power torque or similar name. I've seen and used enough of their junk to NEVER EVER AGAIN use them.

The cam rides in the head directly, like many modern engines. Many heads made this way can be remachined by cutting the caps and line boring. The cam will sit a few thousandths lower in the head.

I don't know if the 5.4 heads can be repaired this way.

I haven't seen many 2009 & up 5.4L 3V's wipe out the cam journals.....While they still blow the tensioner seals & the roller followers fail.
Did the tech actually pull some caps & inspect the rest of the valvetrian?

I fix a lot of these engines as they are expensive to buy used & anything other than a Ford reman seem to be junk.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I haven't seen many 2009 & up 5.4L 3V's wipe out the cam journals.....While they still blow the tensioner seals & the roller followers fail.
Did the tech actually pull some caps & inspect the rest of the valvetrian?

I fix a lot of these engines as they are expensive to buy used & anything other than a Ford reman seem to be junk.

That's a good question! and I don't know for sure. I am having a really hard time getting ahold of my service advisor. Haven't talked to him since Wednesday evening, pretty frustrating to be honest.

Interesting. I have a 2008 f350 with a 5.4. Mine has 175k and still runs quietly. It was a former NY dot truck, so sure it had lots of idling. On the upside, it does seem to have been pretty well maintained.
Im running Amsoil signature 5w30 in it.
Fyi, the 2008 model year was when the 5.4 got the improved heads with the normal spark plugs.
I have seen a few online posts about the roller cam followers failing in these motors.
Keep us posted, im curious what the failure was.

Originally Posted by cronk
Interesting. I have a 2008 f350 with a 5.4. Mine has 175k and still runs quietly. It was a former NY dot truck, so sure it had lots of idling. On the upside, it does seem to have been pretty well maintained.

You should have an hour meter function in your cluster menu. Good chance since it being a fleet maintained vehicle, it probably got a heavier weight oil like 15W-40 for most of it's life and probably what has saved it from the usual cam phaser and valve train issues associated with these engines.

Update:

The warranty company approved the OEM Ford long block, so good news! The advisor wasn't 100 percent sure of the cause but sounds like the followers, or at least cam related. I'll have to check the receipt when I get it but I'm sure they'll have it a while.

They gave me a loaner as well, so that's cool

Sounds more likely......I have seen Follower failures "somehow" release the keepers on it's corresponding valve & drop the valve enough to get bent, The Spring, Keepers, Retainer, & Lifter are found intact under the valve cover.

If you don't have a bent valve & the Cam Bore's are OK.....I'm surprised they greenlit a long block! Lucky you regardless!!

Though I hope they lift the cab to do the engine swap! Much easier to get the wiring harness & clips back in correctly. As your generation truck doesn't call for aligning/marking the cab after removal....It's almost foolproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back