Honda Genuine Oils.... what if i used it in all my engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Thugzy
Originally Posted by Garak
It certainly would work fine. However, for those who worry about seeing a Motorcraft spec on the bottle for the newer Ford, I would gather the Honda oil doesn't carry it. It certainly would meet it and be suitable for use.

i forgot about the Ford spec..... maybe just for my Subaru then. ...

If Honda Canada oil is blended by Phillips 66 is likely the same as Motorcraft Synthetic in the states.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Garak
It certainly would work fine. However, for those who worry about seeing a Motorcraft spec on the bottle for the newer Ford, I would gather the Honda oil doesn't carry it. It certainly would meet it and be suitable for use.

i forgot about the Ford spec..... maybe just for my Subaru then. ...

If Honda Canada oil is blended by Phillips 66 is likely the same as Motorcraft Synthetic in the states.

good probability its either Petro Canada or idemitsu oil

If it's SN/SN+ I would not worry about using it in a Ford engine. The Ecoboost and Modulars get bulk 5W30/20 and lubercant related failure is not a thing in the fleet.

Honda dealer oil is now Motorcraft/Kendall, and I think ACDelco is now, too, so you can use it with no problem
smile.gif

Id use it with confidence - probably not the trans stuff as its formulated for honda transmissions but everything else is good stuff.

UD

The real question is:
Is oil oil or not?
If it is, then problem solved.

If not, then the question would be what happens if in the future Honda oil is supplied from current Toyota oil supplier and vice versa? Then without us knowing, we will be using Toyota oil in Honda and vice versa. Or maybe we are already using Honda oil in Toyota if decades ago the suppliers were switched ...
shocked2.gif

Having said that, I think Japanese oil (Toyota, Honda, Idemitsu oil) may have more in common. Don't they all have more moly?

If you get a great price on the oil, then buy it and use it with confidence
It is a great oil as there are millions of Honda vehicles running around on it and they do great
I would not venture if it is better or worse but a great price makes it a good deal on the oil

Originally Posted by kschachn
What if I ran Toyota oil in my Honda? Would it fail?

It might get a case of indigestion, possibly nausea.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
The real question is:
Is oil oil or not?

If not, then the question would be what happens if in the future Honda oil is supplied from current Toyota oil supplier and vice versa? Then without us knowing, we will be using Toyota oil in Honda and vice versa. Or maybe we are already using Honda oil in Toyota if decades ago the suppliers were switched ...
shocked2.gif

Having said that, I think Japanese oil (Toyota, Honda, Idemitsu oil) may have more in common. Don't they all have more moly?

Not Honda in America because it's Phillips Shield.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
The real question is:
Is oil oil or not?

shocked2.gif

Hondas factory fill oil in Japan made autos is idemitsu.

There is no added moly in the factory fill, but the assembly lube is moly based so the factory fill is by default moly rich.

Last I checked Phillips was the supplier to American Honda for engine oil and idemitsu formulates the trans fluid, but it is not identical to the aftermarket idemitsu trans formulations.

UD

Does Honda have a spec beyond

International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee

GF-5?

Did they ask for a formulation change beyond CP broad market product?

HONDA on the label is meaningless expect for marketing purposes.

easy answer is:

If you can get it at a competitive cost and it works well in your vehicle after a trial

buy more of it.

Beware, "Specs, they are a Changin"

sparked my curiosity... through a family member who works at Honda, i can purchase any type of Honda Branded oil at very good prices.

what if i ran Honda synthetic oils (correct vis) in my Fords, Infiniti and Subaru? would it be better than what i have in them now? see my sig

'Twould be totally fine. Can't see your sig on phone
mad.gif
, but with a couple UOAs you would get some data on which oil is performing best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back