Brother Laser All in one Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to buy a all in one printer for home use. Looking at a brother laser because inkjet just sucks and don't last. I have never owned a laser printer before, can the toner be refilled at places like costco?

I am looking at one of these:

MFC-L3710CW

or

MFC-9130CW

Last edited:
Neither of those models can print duplex (automatically print the front and back of a page). You probably want that feature, it is easy to find in that price range. As for toner, I don't think anyone refills it any more they just buy third party toner cartridges which are not very expensive per page.

Last edited:
I don't have either of those models but I do have a Brother laser model that only prints black, no color, and not wireless. But it meets my home use needs and has been economical to operate and purchase. The cartridge lasts forever and cheap after replacements are available that work well. It has been trouble free for the several years I've owned it.

I have a Brother MFC-9340CDW at work and it suits our needs quite well. Not sure what the difference is between it and the 9130. After the warranty expired, give or take a few months, we switched to using non-Brother toner. I looked at ratings on Amazon for 4-5 star rated toners and they work great. We also can far exceed the page count ratings (~2200 pages) - you just 'reset' the counter so it stops bugging you to change them. We've gotten 4000 pages out toners more than once. 90% of what we print is internal use with lots of B&W prints so real high quality isn't necessary. Did have to replace the (4) drums after 20k pages. Brother rates them for 15k pages.

Originally Posted by jhs914
I don't have either of those models but I do have a Brother laser model that only prints black, no color, and not wireless. But it meets my home use needs and has been economical to operate and purchase. The cartridge lasts forever and cheap after replacements are available that work well. It has been trouble free for the several years I've owned it.

I did the same but spent a little more for wireless and duplex. I figure if I need color I can always do it at work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFG57ZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't print very much, couple times a month and got tired of ink jet cartridges not working when they were almost full.

Do you need color?
Did you want wireless?
Duplex printing? (front and back)

You don't want toner refills like ink. Toner gets everywhere and cleaning any little powder is worse than cleaning up roomba-smeared dog poop. I suggest looking at oem and 3rd party toner cartridges and see how much it costs to print-per-page if you're planning on doing a lot of printing.

+ 1 i got tired of clogged injets and constantly fiddling with refill kits. Best decision ever ...got the brother with scanner feeder, wifi and duplex and 2 additional XL toners for a song on AmAZoN. No clogs no fiddling ...just print and it comes out perfect every time. And it has a low power sleep mode when not in use.

I have a Brother DCPL2540DW
All in one: Printer / Scans images into computer / Photo Copier

Before I bought it, I was always going to Kinkos to use their photo-copier.
I never in my life thought some day I'd own my own photo-copier, and IT IS GREAT.

Laser is the way to go.
Weather you get color or B&W, WiFi or not, is up to you.

Brother HLL-2320D owner here. Also have a Dell rebranded version. Both awesome. Cheap, reliable. Highly recommend.

I have a Brother MFC-L2705DW and I love it. It is pretty noisy when it's printing but otherwise it works great. I use the wi-fi feature to print from my notebook computer and the cartridges last me several years. I got it at Sam's club a few years ago and have only needed to change the toner cartridge once. They cartridges cost about $45 and this makes it much cheaper than the old ink-jet thing I was using.

You can't go wrong with either of the two.

I went a little less expensive a few months ago and mail ordered a Canon Image class MF232w. Absolutely love it. After using nothing but ink jets since about 1992, I had enough ink and tried my first toner unit.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by Trav
I have these 2, both are awesome, good on toner, fast reliable as it gets and wireless. I wouldn't own anything else but a Brother laser.

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfc9130cw#specifications

https://www.brother-usa.com/support/hl2270dw

Thought that was a good price on the color laser but it's not duplex.

No it isn't but I never needed it and never used it if I had it. To me its a useless as a suitcase with no handle feature and not worth 2C extra. If you really need that feature this isn't the printer for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Wondered about these. Do they have decent Linux drivers?

Every printer seems to have decent Linux drivers. Installing them is another thing. My MFC-L2700DW installed in terminal only. My HL-2315DW was plug and play for basic printing function with Ubuntu installed. It does give message that additional drivers are required. Both are excellent Brother printers. But the fact the HL-2315DW was so easy to install printing driver in Ubuntu makes it priceless to me, or $62.52 for a refurb unit from Wal-Mart free shipped.

HL-L2315DW

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I've owned 2 brother lasers. The first one was a low-end, and it was a gem. I gave it to an immigrant family who had a kid getting straight As. The second one which I have now, is a duplexing color laser. It has been flawless and gets a lot of use. Doesn't answer your question directly, but I highly recommend the brand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGZSS6U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a solid unit. How is it on the toner? Toners expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back