DOT disallows Delta ban on Pitbulls as service animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOT says Delta's ban on pitbulls is not allowed

*Full disclosure: I do own a pitbull. I do not claim that she is a service animal/ESA under any circumstances, nor am I disabled in any way.*

I know this will be a sensitive topic, so hopefully this doesn't get locked. I'm not here to proclaim that my dog is somehow the one pitbull in the world that's not dangerous (she's not), nor am I here to say that there isn't a single problem pitbull in the world (there are many).

I'm quite sure this "issue" will get swept under the rug quickly, however I'm proud of the DOT for stepping up and telling Delta that if they want rules, they have to be applied equally. It's either dogs, or no dogs. I'm 100% sure that Delta banned bully breeds to save face, because the media LOVES any story involving a bully breed and an "attack". Bad publicity I understand, discrimination I do not.

If this gets out of hand Mods, feel free to lock. It just hurts, as the owner of a sweet and loving pitbull, to be told that my dog should be "bred out of existence" or "eradicated". My dog was starved, left as a stray, hit by a car, and survived pneumonia all before she was a year old. She's never so much as growled at human being, and currently sleeps with my new roommates daughter every night like she's running security.

I like to think that one day the public opinion will change, but unfortunately I doubt it. I would love see any other member's Pitts, or dogs in general, all in good spirits!

Shameless Pittie Portrait time:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Cute dog.

I haven't read the links or anything. Why can't a private company make their own rules? My daughter has a pit mix type dog. It's scary. You're either part of its pack or you're not to that dog. It loves to sit on my feet. I assume that mean it thinks I'm part of the its pack. I hope so.

Too many people have taken advantage of the service pet rules just to bring their ill mannered dogs on board the plane for free.

With the ADA laws, I didn't think they would be able to ban any type of official service animals.

Comfort animals are a different story.

Well, if that dog never even growled after having that ugly Christmas sweater put on her, you have a good one!

Seriously, she looks like a sweetheart and hope she continues to be a loving family member for years to come.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Well, if that dog never even growled after having that ugly Christmas sweater put on her, you have a good one!

Seriously, she looks like a sweetheart and hope she continues to be a loving family member for years to come.

LOL! That poor dog looks so embarrassed in that picture.

"Any" animal will be mean if they are taught that. "NO" animal is born mean. Sadly pitbull dogs are labeled mean, no matter what.

The same DOT just changed the rules to allow miniature horses to fly in the cabin too.

If the government is going to allow this then the pet owner should carry the full responsibility in case something happens. The airlines are between a Rock and a hard spot.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The same DOT just changed the rules to allow miniature horses to fly in the cabin too.

If the government is going to allow this then the pet owner should carry the full responsibility in case something happens. The airlines are between a Rock and a hard spot.

The absolutely are. I don't want the airlines to have to pick up the tab for liability insurance related to certain dog breeds. They have umbrella coverage, I assume. If you have a dog that is assumed to be "more dangerous", you should assume the liability. I do this as a homeowner: I carry an additional "exotic animal" policy that SPECIFICALLY covers bully breed dogs. Do I think it's fair? No, my dog is no more likely to bite anyone than my neighbors. However, in the event something does happen, I want to be protected.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

The absolutely are. I don't want the airlines to have to pick up the tab for liability insurance related to certain dog breeds. They have umbrella coverage, I assume. If you have a dog that is assumed to be "more dangerous", you should assume the liability. I do this as a homeowner: I carry an additional "exotic animal" policy that SPECIFICALLY covers bully breed dogs. Do I think it's fair? No, my dog is no more likely to bite anyone than my neighbors. However, in the event something does happen, I want to be protected.

We are in agreement on that point. Great looking dogs by the way. I used to own a bully mix. He died a little over a year ago.

Another part of the issue is damage or cleaning from the pets. I've heard some stories already of flight delays because of pet accidents. There are a lot of things to consider.

It's not just how likely the dog is to bite but the severity of the bite. My old dog bit everyone in my family at least once. Good thing she was only 8 lbs and couldn't do any damage. But her crazy in an 80 lbs dog with a strong bite and it's a nightmare. Seems to be one of those your rights stop where my rights begin situation. Does the passenger traveling with a potentially dangerous animal have more rights than the crew and other passengers who just want to get to their destination without fear of being bit.

Last edited:
Nothing like a best friend. Enjoy her kindness. She is a cutie!

I had one for five years and she turned onto 10 pound dog. It shocked me. Mine was rescued! Vet told me to re-home her. The ex- moved out instead. K-9 and I were at the house longer. Lol!
smile.gif

Smart! Never contemplated liability in that context.

I want anyone with a pit bull put in prison.

There is no excuse for the pretend "open mind" that allows vicious killer animals to exist in society. They might as well be lions or crocodiles, and when someone tries to claim "service animal" my thoughts are "mentally incompetent person who can't be allowed to make decisions".

If you live in the desert and are being attacked by lions too often then you need that. If you are not, you are a criminal, immoral, reckless, idiot for owning a pit bull.

When someone asks for money as payment for your debt, do you whip out a razor blade and slash them? As ridiculous as the analogy seems, that is about what it is to have a pit bull if you aren't some shut in antisocial hick living in the woods where you never contact other human beings.

Remember something. There are many great breeds of dog out there. You choose pit bull, you choose to be someone who wants to harm other people. Don't feed me the lies and nonsense about how they are great pets, because there are many other breeds that are better pets. An intelligent person does not choose a pit bull. A person who has ego but is stupid, needs to go in prison for choosing one.

It's no different than if I had an alligator or rabid wolf, I could make excuses about how ideally it's great, when the truth is, it's nothing but a way to attack people. Hence, why owners belong in prison.

Do you need to see pictures of mauled children for my point to seem valid? I don't want to put that out there, I don't want to see those pics again either!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
"Any" animal will be mean if they are taught that. "NO" animal is born mean. Sadly pitbull dogs are labeled mean, no matter what.

==================================================================================================================

Well, to some extent. But if Pitbulls could have police records - I'm pretty sure they'd have a longer rap sheet than my daughters dust mop …

My sister/BiL's Yellow Lab was attacked by one. Owner apparently did not get a good snap on his leash and the dog charged. BiL was able to pull him off using the harness similar to the picture - and get as rough as he could with the crazed dog - luckily, it never turned on him - it remained focused on trying to attack the Lab. The owner then gained control of the dog and after a few choice words it was over with. My BiL is a steel nerved, V-shaped scrapper from way back - not everyone out there would attempt to break up a vicious fight like that - and the outcome might be different

Originally Posted by Dave9
I want anyone with a pit bull put in prison.

There is no excuse for the pretend "open mind" that allows vicious killer animals to exist in society. They might as well be lions or crocodiles, and when someone tries to claim "service animal" my thoughts are "mentally incompetent person who can't be allowed to make decisions".

If you live in the desert and are being attacked by lions too often then you need that. If you are not, you are a criminal, immoral, reckless, idiot for owning a pit bull.

When someone asks for money as payment for your debt, do you whip out a razor blade and slash them? As ridiculous as the analogy seems, that is about what it is to have a pit bull if you aren't some shut in antisocial hick living in the woods where you never contact other human beings.

Remember something. There are many great breeds of dog out there. You choose pit bull, you choose to be someone who wants to harm other people. Don't feed me the lies and nonsense about how they are great pets, because there are many other breeds that are better pets. An intelligent person does not choose a pit bull. A person who has ego but is stupid, needs to go in prison for choosing one.

It's no different than if I had an alligator or rabid wolf, I could make excuses about how ideally it's great, when the truth is, it's nothing but a way to attack people. Hence, why owners belong in prison.

Do you need to see pictures of mauled children for my point to seem valid? I don't want to put that out there, I don't want to see those pics again either!

As sad as your post makes me, I appreciate the input. The whole point was to hear both sides of the spectrum, regardless of viewpoint.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by oldhp

==================================================================================================================

Well, to some extent. But if Pitbulls could have police records - I'm pretty sure they'd have a longer rap sheet than my daughters dust mop …

My sister/BiL's Yellow Lab was attacked by one. Owner apparently did not get a good snap on his leash and the dog charged. BiL was able to pull him off using the harness similar to the picture - and get as rough as he could with the crazed dog - luckily, it never turned on him - it remained focused on trying to attack the Lab. The owner then gained control of the dog and after a few choice words it was over with. My BiL is a steel nerved, V-shaped scrapper from way back - not everyone out there would attempt to break up a vicious fight like that - and the outcome might be different

Valid point, as I addressed in my OP. Animals are just that, animals. They have triggers, just as humans do. My dog doesn't like every dog she meets right away, and I'm aware of that. Then again, I took her to the cabin last weekend with 3 dogs she'd never met and she was an angel. That being said, I never took my eyes off her because that's MY responsibility as a pet owner. This is breed-independent, you're responsible for your pet regardless of breed or temperament.

Yeah, owner was a young cocky guy - he was mouthing off as they all departed
Doubt he raised the dog right

As someone who has been around dog my whole 40+ years of life, I would have to disagree with the above comments. I've seen. Pits from all over like dog shows (a few in my fam show dogs) to the shelters (good friend runs one) Like any dog, you can train them to be whatever you want. I've been around Pits for many, many years-and never been bit by one. The only flaw the PIts do have is they tend to be protective. But if you're a good, stern pet parent- you can make them pretty loving.....

Wife and I have three Lhasa Apsos, which are known for being very stubborn, like kids So you have to be stern! But they are good dogs though. I have have a Pit about 5 houses down from me. Sully loves to come by and visit with our dogs...and they get along great...

I had an issue with a Pit (lived a few blocks away) and came up and snapped at my dogs. I yelled pretty loud "NO" to his dog. Dog stopped and looked at his mom and backed down. After I praised the dog for listening , then our dogs could meet.

Dogs are like anything else- you have to know how to handle them....

I love dogs, and all animals. But pitbulls have a reputation for a reason. Every owner thinks they will never snap and never bite anyone, until it happens. Dog owners are 100% responsible for their pets. Any court of law will give the win to the person that got bit due to the lack of total control of a dog by it's owner.

"Dog owners are 100% responsible for their pets"
=====================================
Agree it should work that way if things went wrong.
But wonder when they call 800-HAMMER! - will the lawyers leave Delta or United alone ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
"Dog owners are 100% responsible for their pets"
=====================================
Agree it should work that way if things went wrong.
But wonder when they call 800-HAMMER! - will the lawyers leave Delta or United alone ?

Good question. If the airlines are forced to allow it, then they should make anyone bringing an animal on-board sign paperwork that says the owner is 100% resonsible for any damages or lawsuits because of their animal's actions. Maybe the airlines already do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back