98 Olds 88 V6 3800

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car has 155000 miles on it. Runs amazingly well. One question I do have about this engine is the clatter I hear from the engine when I accelerate. From past experience I dont think it is engine knock. Someone told me it is common on these GM engines. At highway speed its quiet. I only notice this sound when accelerating up to around 45 mph. Any of you have experience with this engine.??? A friend of mine said he had one that did the same thing and was running great at 200,000 miles but the body was rusting apart.

Could be the harmonic balancer rattle that's common on 3800's, but that normally occurs only at idle and goes away with any RPM's. It could be piston slap, but that affected the 3100/3400 more. A 3800 with low end noise while accelerating is usually cause by worn rod bearings, often due to lower intake manifold gasket failure at some point in the car's life.

At this point, just keep running it and see what happens.

Does it sound like pinging (marbles shaken in a can) or ticking like an exhaust leak?

I drove a 2000 Impala taxi 3800 once that pinged like crazy while accelerating but it also had lots of other issues, probably over 400k miles, lots of carbon etc

If it's a bearing knock you should hear it if you rev it up to say 2500rpm and hold it around that RPM. If it was pinging you won't hear it without load. Exhaust leak you will hear it more under load but maybe a bit while revving in park also.

Probably pinging. Run the gas tank down low and fill it up with 91 octane. My Sonata used to ping all the time, I now run 91 and it doesn't ping anymore.

She is the last time you put new spark plugs in it. My mom had an Impala 3800 that made weird noises accelerating. Turns out the spark plug gap was huge and the plugs were giving either a weak spark or out right misfiring. New plugs and the noise went away.

My Olds Trofeo would ping under acceleration if I didn't use super unleaded. I'm not sure if my 3800 was tuned differently than the Delta 88's. EXCELLENT engines that simply last forever!! I sold mine with 350,000 miles on it. My dad's had around 550,000 miles on it when he gave it to a family member. Both ran perfect. Not a drop of oil usage or leakage. Both were Series One 3800's. Probably my favorite engines of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back