New from NGK, Ruthenium HX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I wish more people had this mentality. I was told I'd "burn holes" in my pistons, cause other engine damage, and destroy my coil packs if I put anything but copper plugs into a 5.7 HEMI or a 2.0 in a caliber.

Next time ask them to explain what a copper plug is.

Love this thread...

"Lifetime fill" for sparkplugs involves exotic metals...kschachn offering market forces (plus advertising) is compelling.

For engines that are easy to get to, and don't want to blow threads out, then they are a bit un-necessary.

And there's a vicious cycle...leave them in for 160,000km and there's more reasons that they don't want to come out.

I've got to admit that I've been a plug modifier forever, indexing, wide gaps, filing my own "V" into the centre electrode, cutting back the side electrode...splitfire was a poor design, heaps of heated metal that needed to be cooled but the only mechanism available, conduction back to the shell.

Originally Posted by marine65
Plugs that fire do the job.
Precious metals just extend the life.
I ran a set of Bosch Platinums in the Sentra for 100K miles.
Changed them to Champion Double Platinums and the car runs just like when it had the 100K miles old plugs.
A spark is a spark is a spark.
Of course it's just an old Sentra.

I said the same thing awhile back, I think my quote was "either the air/fuel charge is ignited, or it is not." I was promptly schooled by other members about strong vs weak spark, flame fronts, complete combustion, etc. This issue matters much more in racing applications where 1/2 HP and a thousandth of a second could mean everything. But one could say it also affects street applications, because it was said.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Guess this is a fine time to tell everyone that I intentionally faux pas my plugs by cranking them open until the point that they'll misfire at max torque. Got 6 re-used nickel plugs in the GM 3500 right now... old, cleaned, re-filed, re-big-gapped from the Ford. Probably running 85 thou lol They run excellent!
A spark is a spark, sure, but a kernel is not just a kernel.

This is the gist of my comment above.

Last edited:
I suspect these are useful in a production scale to reduce emission, extend life, reduce fuel consumption etc over a large scale. Manufacturers test and provide data to justify the decision, I'm sure with the data they can see a 0.12mpg improvement, or a 11.74325k miles of expected life in their emission life, sometimes it is a make or break in passing or failing some government regulations (worldwide). As a DIY consumer, you probably won't see any difference if you lead foot no matter what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back