Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start off I have been out of business for years because of my body says so. Any way here is problem. Mother has 2012 Impala with what she said was ABS noise and violate shaking. Been diagnosed with bad wire, bearings, rotors etc. Now she is told it is now other side ...¡ but will have to wait until they're not busy so just drive it. I need an ABS diagnosis so looking at scanners seem to be leaning towards the OTC 3210 for around 200. I could use it for airbag light on Altima that no one seems to remove as well as hopefully it will update to use on my 2018 Grand Caravan if I have problem down the road. Any other ideas around 200?

Last edited:
Is the ABS light on? This could simply be brake pads worn down to the metal or some other obvious mechanical problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
Is the ABS light on? This could simply be brake pads worn down to the metal or some other obvious mechanical problem.

Exactly. Noise and violent shaking may be a case of brake shudder, maybe amplified by a loose bushing, end or joint.

ABS and Trac light come on only when it does it. From what I am told most mornings going from reverse to drive will cause it as well as lots of stop and go will cause it. All lights remain off until these events happen then clear with in seconds. I glanced at it Saturday and from what I have seen drivers rotor is blue but free. This is why I need scanner that can initialize ABS module. Brakes just got replaced as part of problem. My gut is telling me a bad hose or bad electrical repair on ABS wire so if hose then a flush will be needed so ABS bleed is a good possibility. This is reason I was thinking OTC as most techs I know have the 3k OTC scanner.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Have seen a rotor turn blue and cause shaking by a bad flex hose. Internal part of hose acts a a one way valve, that is it collapses.

And that is my thinking. On that vehicle the bleed procedure can turn into nightmare if slightest air gets in system. I talked to her this evening and I informed her I won't do it without scanner handy. Still have leads to a scanner since I can't afford one right now (disability) so hopefully it come through.

I went with OBD dongle. I got one on eBay for less than 3.00. I hooked up to 2011 Kia Forte and used Car Scanner app which showed Air Bag had low voltage and since I just replaced battery I hit clear codes. Air Bag light is off now. I hooked my 18 Caravan and it only read engine data but I found a program to download if I need transmission information for 49.00 which I will eventually purchase if I can't find a free one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back