Have all the issues been fixed in the new Tacomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Arctic388
"owned" a 2015 Taco for about 30 days. it was at dealer for 21 of those days. I never made a payment on it. finally after 4th time when i went to pick it up i drove right next door and planned to trade it for a Canyon but ended up getting 11,500 off sticker on Z71 Sierra. so glad i got the full size now.

the Taco leaked around back windshield. dealer thought it was rear brake light so they put a new gasket on it. leaked again. they put two gaskets on it. yes 2 gaskets. it was horrendous looking. leaked again. then they found back glass leaking so they had a company replace it. when i went to pick up truck the black tar/goo was all over the back seat and floor and interior. and someone chipped the paint on the side of the bed. dealer tried to blame me. I was beyond heated at this point. they kept truck that day to clean it. the next evening go to get truck and the seat bottom had been 1/2 way cleaned but side panels and floor and sides of seats still had black goo all over them. dealer guy was very shocked when i pointed out all the spots with me trying to not to beat him down right there. being beyond [censored] off at this point i told him i am taking it next door to trade right now and will never be back to Toyota. drove to GMC met a very nice guy and told him everything. told him i wanted a GMC Canyon All Terrain edition. them being new at the time he said he could get me in a Z71 cheaper. i said do it and i will buy right now. he did and i bought and will never look at Toyota again.

just typing this up has me hating all over again.

my 0.02 cents is get a full size GM or Ford. with the right rebates the pricing isn't really that far apart and mileage is so close also.

Wow I cant believe you went through all that. Thanks for Sharing

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by buster
I love Toyotas and while I think the Tacoma is well built, I am still shocked at how poorly it drives. The transmission/engine combination is awful.

I've got a 2005 Tacoma TRD XtraCab 4.0L V6 with the 5-speed auto. I think it has really good power (240 HP), shifts good 98% of the time and rides and handles very good for a 4x4 truck. This truck hauls butt when floored.

Also I see no frame rust, even though it has been driven in the rain a lot (Pacific Northwest). It's never been driven on salted roads, so seems like the Tacoma frame rusting problen is caused by lack of protection from corrosive salt.

He was talking about the wonky 3.5L - 6 speed combo that is in 2016+ Tacomas.

The 2005 rides harsh constant rolling up and down. Toyota fans will say it does not exist even when it feels like your Rollin in a 64 with 3 wheel motion.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by buster
I love Toyotas and while I think the Tacoma is well built, I am still shocked at how poorly it drives. The transmission/engine combination is awful.

I've got a 2005 Tacoma TRD XtraCab 4.0L V6 with the 5-speed auto. I think it has really good power (240 HP), shifts good 98% of the time and rides and handles very good for a 4x4 truck. This truck hauls butt when floored.

Also I see no frame rust, even though it has been driven in the rain a lot (Pacific Northwest). It's never been driven on salted roads, so seems like the Tacoma frame rusting problen is caused by lack of protection from corrosive salt.

He was talking about the wonky 3.5L - 6 speed combo that is in 2016+ Tacomas.

The 2005 rides harsh constant rolling up and down. Toyota fans will say it does not exist even when it feels like your Rollin in a 64 with 3 wheel motion.

Mine's a TRD with the Bilstein shocks and has the long wheelbase, Been driving it since 2005, and how it rides and handles is fine to me.

I am apparently late to this conversation.

I have owned every generation of the Tacoma (2001,2002,2006 )and I believe this is the best one once you figure out how to drive around it's design. The engine has a lot goi g on with The. Odiferous Atkinson to Otto cycles and the DS4 injection and the variable length intake. It took me a while to learn to get power and acceleration I need to use more weight on the throttle and get the rpms up to 3500 plus. Once up to speed it will want to upshift to 6 th and cruise in a lower rpm modified Atkinson cycle, if the load and speed is appropriate this is great. If you are experiencing excessive shifting due to load or high speed driving accept the lower mpg and select a lower top gear such as 5 or 4 and stay in the power-band. Like many vehicles the default programming is built to optimize outcomes on the cafe mileage circuit.

I have 22500 on my 2018 trd OR 4x4.

I have personally had extraordinary fuel mileage.
When going 80 + it drops to 16.5-17. Speed has a penalty. But on urban freeways and back roads where I average 60-65 I get 23+ .
Software was apparently addressed for the transmission before Mine was manufactured. But it will still want to go not efficiency mode as soon as it can, which can be circumvented with the throttle or the shift lever if power is needed. I never use etc power button and forget it is there.

I am a big proponent of the adaptive cruise control. It makes busy freeway and interstate driving much less stressful, although there is a learning curve to trusting it enough to let it help you.

This truck has been used on some rough caliche roads, beat up rutted and cavern holed paved roads and some well developed areas.
No complaints about the ride, no water leaks in the cab.

I prefer my 4 runner for seat position and comfort but have not had many problems with the Tacoma seats other than hey are not as comfortable for my frames. Regardless of that . I tend to use the Tacoma more because it has better mileage and drivability with the Toyota safety sense.
Also like the automatic high beams on those dark country roads. Takes a while to trust them too,
Lane departure can be irritating in curvy or construction zones..so I turn it off.
Blind spot monitor also works great.

I like it so much I Paid it off a couple of months ago and am holding on to it. It was much cheaper to get in 18 than comparable 19s. I got good packaging and content that met my needs and wants. I think the trifold Tonneau cover is great for security of cargo and mileage.

I think the Nissan is a great value too, proven design and platform that will last a long time.
Toyota has a lot of content and that ups the price.

All these issues with the third gen make me glad I still have a first gen! This is what made the Tacoma great, simple, basic, compact and easy on gas. 162k miles and never a problem! Second gens are great too, but 2015 is the last year before quality took a dump. Third gens look nice, but the engine and transmission are a joke, should have used the updated 4.0 that's in the 4Runner instead of a minivan engine! A truck engine shouldn't make more HP than TQ, awful for towing.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Third gens look nice, but the engine and transmission are a joke, should have used the updated 4.0 that's in the 4Runner instead of a minivan engine! A truck engine shouldn't make more HP than TQ, awful for towing.

Agreed. The tiny 2.7 liter V6 in my F150 makes 325hp @ 5000 rpm but 400 lb-ft @ only 2700.

Originally Posted by jongies3
All these issues with the third gen make me glad I still have a first gen! This is what made the Tacoma great, simple, basic, compact and easy on gas. 162k miles and never a problem! Second gens are great too, but 2015 is the last year before quality took a dump. Third gens look nice, but the engine and transmission are a joke, should have used the updated 4.0 that's in the 4Runner instead of a minivan engine! A truck engine shouldn't make more HP than TQ, awful for towing.

Can't argue with that. I feel the same. Disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back