Honda Blue Coolants

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Would both of these coolants be of the same quality as Genuine Honda Blue 50/50 coolant? Or one better than the other? They are locally available at my PepBoys, might be able to stack/add coupon codes and get them cheaper is why I ask.

Looking to do radiator drain then fill on the Accord next spring.

Originally Posted by atikovi
The genuine Honda coolant is cheaper than that so why bother?

I have no idea on Honda blue pricing these days just asking a question.

Originally Posted by redhat
Would both of these coolants be of the same quality as Genuine Honda Blue 50/50 coolant? Or one better than the other? They are locally available at my PepBoys, might be able to stack/add coupon codes and get them cheaper is why I ask.

No one knows the answer to that one. However, both are at least somewhat reputable brand names so one could assume they would be suitable as labeled.

But as has been noted, at least here in the Milwaukee area the actual Honda Type II is cheaper than that shelf price. My Accord is spotless inside after many years of using Type II. But if you can get the others at a significant discount it should be suitable.

You can email Old World/Peak to confirm, however all indications are Peak OET( and Beck Arnley) are Asian P-HOAT AFs. Honda Type2 also Phoat. I'd be confident using either for Type 2. However as noted for $20/gal I'm certain I could get Type 2 from the dealer for the same or less so no advantage there.

As mentioned WM now carries Valvoline Asian Vehicle in red/pink or blue tint, ~$13gal. ZAF blue can be found for a tad more but still less than Type 2. I'd look at those first. I'll note the blue tint VAV seems to be getting more difficult to find at WM here.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
You can email Old World/Peak to confirm, however all indications are Peak OET( and Beck Arnley) are Asian P-HOAT AFs. Honda Type2 also Phoat. I'd be confident using either for Type 2. However as noted for $20/gal I'm certain I could get Type 2 from the dealer for the same or less so no advantage there.

As mentioned WM now carries Valvoline Asian Vehicle in red/pink or blue tint, ~$13gal. ZAF blue can be found for a tad more but still less than Type 2. I'd look at those first. I'll note the blue tint VAV seems to be getting more difficult to find at WM here.

Thank you very much for the info, will probably look at Walmart the next time I'm there. Need some Fram Ultras as well, or might source out some of the FPS7317s.

Hello, I'm not adding much but I MUST tell you that I was blown away by the willingness of my nearest Honda dealership parts dept. to provide a discount.
The result is always a good price....and believe me, I'm "sensitive to price".
If any product is chemically identical (think generic drugs as well as car stuff) I'll go with it but when I'm working on someone else's vehicle I buy the car company's brand products.
It halts an entire branch of time wasting conversation.

I found and bought a jug of Beck & Arnley G-48 (European dark blue) on sale and asked about it here.
I got the same sound advice about going to the dealer.
However my car company changed color. My Volvo came with pale green. Was it a new color or just G-48 mixed with G-05?
I couldn't get a definitive answer on what Volvo's current color is here or at the dealer. That sure knocked the dealer down a peg or two.

I'm always happy to hear any thoughtful response.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
I've heard good things about this concentrate from the forum. I bought a gallon a while back for my motorcycles, but haven't used any of it yet. Not that I'm concerned with only -25F lows (tomorrow), but I like the ability to mess with the coolant/water ratio a little bit with a concentrate.

https://www.pepboys.com/oem-antifre...-subaru-with-blue-coolant/product/879925
I'd use it in any of the recommended applications. Long service interval Asian Phoat AF. As mentioned, comes as a concentrate, a rarity in Asian AFs, most come as a premix. Seems to be getting harder to find at b&m PB stores for pick up. For the price listed in link, if a PB store close has it in stock, well worth it imo.

Looking at PB Asian AF selection online, seems as though Beck/Arnley getting greater presence. More expensive though, blue and pink premixes.

The Peak is overpriced and has 2-EHA which is the horror behind Dexcool/Deathcool
mad.gif

The only Peak I'd use in your Honda is Peak Global Lifetime. In older cars that use the old green coolant, the Peak Green is fine.

Beck/Arnley is more trustworthy than Peak. I agree that the Blue Zerex Asian at Walmart is a good choice and a fair price.

Another good choice is the Pentofrost A3. The parts stores have it at a good price. It is also labeled Made in Japan and is most likely rebottled OEM Honda coolant. Pentofrost A3 is what I use in Hondas requiring Type 2 Blue

The best price is Recochem OEM brand Blue at Pep Boys. It's about $20 regular price, much less when on sale. Unlike the others, the Recochem OEM is a full-strength concentrate, making it by far the lowest price of any coolant worth using in a modern Honda.

The Peak is overpriced and has 2-EHA.....
Source or link please? Afaik, topic Peak OET Asian AF is an aftermarket Asian PHOAT, matching OEM 'type' AF, ie, phosphated OAT no 2eha. And though I'm aware MSDS not always 100% for content, also no indication of 2eha in the topic AF. I would agree that compared to other equivalent after market Asian PHoats like WM Valvoline Asian Vehicle and ZAF, it is currently overpriced.

Otoh, Prestone AF labeled for Honda (blue) and Toyota(red) sold at WM does use 2eha as inhibitor. Personally, I wouldn't use it an Asian vehicle application, or anything for that matter.

Contacted Peak/Old World about topic Peak OET Asian Vehicles AF using their contact page. Specifically asked if it contained 2EHA as inhibitor. This was their reply.

Thank you for inquiring about PEAK products

PEAK OET for Asian vehicles does not contain 2EHA.

Regards,

Peak Tech Services

So what is the consensus on the Peak Asian Blue? I just bought 2 gallons for $17 each on sale at Advanced. Coolant is the only fluid in my 05 Odyssey that hasn't been completely changed in the past 2 years. Maybe a gallon was replaced with the water pump in 2017.

BTW, my dealer cost was $22 per OEM gallon.

Last edited:
Use the Peak Blue. It's essentially the same as Honda's coolant(and CCI's GC series sold through Worldpac) and Old World Industries has a long-time relationship with CCI Illinois Manufacturing. CCI is the manufacturer of most OEM coolants. Zerex Asian formulae is made by CCI, the G-xx series are BASF products.

Last edited:
I like PentoFrost from Pentosin... I dunno why but I really like Pentosin products and there coolant always works perfect for my honda and I get a great deal at my work.
8$ a Gallon...

[Linked Image]

Product details
Pentofrost A3 is a phosphated organic acid technology (phosphated OAT); which is categorized as HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) in the US market. Pentofrost A3 is suitable for all Asian vehicles using "blue" Antifreeze/Coolant. Pentofrost A3 does not Asian vehicle applications in water-cooled engines.contain any silicate, borate, nitrite or amine containing additives since these may harm your Asian vehicle. Do not mix with other coolants (especially silicated coolants), as this may cause gel formation and clog your radiator. Pentofrost A3 is a PRE-DILUTED antifreeze for It contains phosphates and organic salts to protect all materials used in cooling systems for Asian vehicles. Pentofrost A3 is mixable with all phosphated OATs. Meets ASTM D-3306.

Originally Posted by TurboLuver
This is what I used a couple weekends ago, bought it at walmart for $12.9x a gallon.

[Linked Image]

Is that something new or old?? I don't see that one on their website.

^^^That is just the older label and still on WM shelves. Same AF as the newer label Zerex now shown on the WM website. It appears Zerex is now going to one label for the WM Valvoline/Zerex and the ZAF sold in AP stores.

Get Pentofrost A3
Its BLUE.. It even says for Honda on the bottle.. Its at most Advance Auto Parts and if its not there they can have it transfered from another store.

[Linked Image from photos.offerup.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back