Adding an external light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange question here, folks. I just bought a 2016 Buick LaCrosse, the 3.6L version, and it has more whistles than you can count. Including a *bright* backup camera. The street where I park nowadays is pretty dark when I get there in the morning, and it'll be dark until next spring. When I put the car in R, the backup camera comes on, of course, and that's helpful. But it's so bright that, with the tinted front passenger window, I really can't see anything in the outside mirror. There are no settings to reduce the brightness of the camera screen -- the camera probably overrides a setting to turn the display off, and even if that worked, I wouldn't want to fool with that every time I park.

So: Is there any way I could have little LEDs installed under the car near the lower edges of the rear fenders, behind the tires, that would come on when I go into R? They would cast a little light on the ground and let me see where the stern of the car is. The BMW X3s I had recently as a loaner had lights that threw light on the ground when you unlocked the car. And I know you can buy expensive ground lighting systems that throw light under your car as you drive, making it look like a video game on wheels. I would just want a light that I could see in the mirrors that would come on only if I'm in R. Any ideas? Would one of the big tint shops be a good place to ask?

Wire the LED to the backup lite .

The cheap back up camera I used to have had a circle of LED IR lites around the lens . At nite , it gave a decent ( not great ) image .

Congrats!
I'm sure it'll do you well
Looking forward to some pics!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Congrats!
I'm sure it'll do you well
Looking forward to some pics!
thumbsup2.gif

At the moment I have only one, from the dealer's website. The others were in the wrong format, apparently:

[Linked Image]

I brought some stuff out to my car just now, and it occurs to me as I look at it that the front windows might be tinted too dark for good visibility. Legal in Florida, no doubt, where this car was last registered, but the near-limo tint is not legal here on front windows. I may have to have them peeled and re-tinted before I get my safety inspection sticker ("brake tag," as the state calls it). Some inspection locations, which are pretty much gas stations licensed by the city to do these inspections, are lenient about it and never check; but others do.

Very nice color! That deep red really classes it up a few notches.
Kudos to you for purchasing the top rated sedan in it's class for 2016 (2017 too maybe).

What makes it "Top Rated"? Not specifically....is it quality of build (hard to believe from GM) or number of toys (which isn't my preference).

I want to look at a TourX today and see if it's anything.

Again, Lovolguy, why no turbos?

Originally Posted by red7404
WOW iam happy for you. Buicks are known to be good cars.

This'll be my third: first a non-supercharged '03 Park Avenue, then a non-turbo 2011 Regal, and now this one.

The problem is almost certainly that the windows are too darkly tinted. If I roll down the passenger front window while parking, I can see the taillight glow at the stern of the car without trouble even on a dark morning. Once the windows are peeled and tinted again, the external light shouldn't be necessary. (But it would be a cool thing to have.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back