Recommended Oil For 2019 Mazda CX-5 2.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm oil illiterate and the myriad of oils out there just exacerbates things.

The owner's manual for my CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve (2.5L Turbo) recommends 5W30.

Could you please suggest a very good, readily available full synthetic oil for this application? The vehicle will likely only be driven about 5,000-6,000 miles/year.

My thinking: Mobil 1 Extended Performance. Rationale: SN Plus and Honda HTO-06. https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance#0W-20

Thanks

Havoline Pro DS in 6qt. box at Walmart. Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Mobil 1 original.

Last edited:
MParr's recommendations are all good. Stick with a 5W-30 weight, please.

And given it's a turbo engine, plan on changing it more frequently. If it were my nice car, I'd be changing it every 3 to 5K miles, depending on the severity of the recent drive schedule.

Last edited:
can't miss with a 0/40...I'd go Mobil for non-turbo, Castrol Edge
for GTDI.

Last edited:
Buy Mazda oil and filter from the dealer and DIY. No Mazda value line filter. Get the right one. The ones I bought were made in Thailand but they are like OEM. If you go with M1 still go with the Mazda filter. Just my $0.02.

You can run any major brand of 5w30. Make sure it meets SN+ and d1G2 specs.

That is a great crossover and engine. Enjoy.

M1 5w30 is a great choice. Any synthetic 5w30 SN+ oil will do well. All the majors provide similar protection. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, QSUD are all good choices.

Use an OEM Filter.

Congrats on the new ride!

My non-turbo CX-5 only goes 5000-6000 a year like you but a lot of short trips so I change in spring and fall. I let the dealer do the first one and I did the next one. Idemitsu Zepro 0W-20 advanced moly and a genuine Mazda filter. I'll do one more like that and then I'll use the Schaeffer 0W-20 I got a deal on. I'd stay with what Mazda recommends 5W30 and change twice a year. Any brand you want.

Specs required by Mazda for your vehicle are 5w-30 with an API rating of SM or newer and/or an ILSAC rating (no particular rating specified).

Any of full synthetic oil readily available on the shelves will meet these requirements (in truth, so will conventional and blends), but your plan to look for a turbo spec is a good one. HTO-6 is certainly a stout specification designed for turbo engines, but with some of the newer specs available it may be outdated at this point.

I'd stick with the cheapest SN+ and D1G2 oil you can find.

Last edited:
I had 3 excellent UOAs from my MAZDA 7 (2.3L TURBO) using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and a 6,000 mile oil & OEM or Fram Ultra filter change interval. I think that would be a excellent combination for your turbo engine. The UOAs even suggested I could easily go out to 8,000 miles+ but, I do my own so cost was not a factor. Ed

Buy the Mazda filter or the correct WIX filter. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only two companies who make a filter with the correct bypass pressure. On that note, any synthetic 5w30 will be good for 5-6000 miles on that engine. I would use any name brand 5w30 synthetic oil with absolutely no qualms and set the oil change interval to variable rather than a set 5000. Funny thing, is my dealer keeps changing my OLM back to the set 5000 to try to get me in earlier.

Castrol Magnetec is what I opted for in my new Eco boost Explorer.

Or any SN+ rated oil will be fine. Just make sure it's the "updated" SN+ and not just SN.
SN+ being formulated to help protect the newer DI turbos better.

Last edited:
Mazda-branded oil is generally quite good, but probably more expensive than really needed.
Any SN+ d1G2 oil will be more than sufficient. I'd lean toward Pennzoil Platinum.

Vanilla M1 5W30
Castrol Magnatec 5W30
Pennzoil platinum 5W30

All API SN-Plus and Dexos1-Gen2 rated. The Mobil 1 and PP are also Euro A5/B5 rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back