Jeep KJ charging system

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 06 Liberty 3.7 is not charging the battery. Connections are tight and clean, and the belt is in good condition and tight. I know that it's almost certainly the alternator, but that it could possibly be the PCM (which contains the VR). Can someone tell me the test procedure to pinpoint whether it's the alternator or PCM/VR? Thanks!

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
My wife's 06 Liberty 3.7 is not charging the battery. Connections are tight and clean, and the belt is in good condition and tight. I know that it's almost certainly the alternator, but that it could possibly be the PCM (which contains the VR). Can someone tell me the test procedure to pinpoint whether it's the alternator or PCM/VR? Thanks!

Pull the alternator and have it tested at the parts store.

That is a good idea , but before that , test the battery ( at the battery terminal ) with a volt meter , before you start it , right after you start it and 20 - 30 minutes alter you start it ( idling all the time ) .

Along side these tests , check voltage at the alternator .

Make sure the control wiring connector is OK and plugged securely into the alternator . Same for the hard wired " power + " wire from the alternator to the battery .

You do not have a battery disconnect , do you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back