RTG 5w-30 4.8k mi, ‘18 3.5EB F150 with 12k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy enough but don't necessarily see a reason to stay with it based on base.
I'll be changing at OCI of 5k regardless going forward.
Pondering going M1, on the fence about 5w-30 AP or maybe even 0w-30 AFE
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Despite fuel dilution and breaking-in , this robust oil could go easily 8k if not more IMHO.

Looks good to me, I'm using RTG 0w20 at a 6000 mile OCI and I think Shell made this oil with the intention of following OEM recommended intervals.

I have used Mobil 1 AFE as well and have been happy with it but maxed out on Mobil rebates so I went with Shell and the difference in cost for a 5 quart jug of either after rebate is a few cents.

OP, you should probably read the article below before writing off this oil, or being a fairweather fan. It's quite possible Shell is using similar ashless detergents in RGT. The only thing I'd worry about is your fuel dilution, but even at 3% it's nothing compared to most EBs. Thanks to board member dustyroads for originally finding this article:

Understanding TBN in Modern Oils

Looks like a good oil package to me as well and especially for the price at Wally World with the Shell rebate your looking at $11.50 a jug
Thanks for the post it's good info for me since I just changed my truck to RTG

Comparing this UOA to Subie's VOA (see link below) leaves me impressed with this UOA. What's not to like? The TBN is going to decrease at a similar rate with any oil you use. I look at the specs of the VOA and then I look at the UOA and it leads me to believe that this is an excellent oil for the price especially if you get the rebate!

VOA: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...e-it-is-first-rotella-gas-truck-5w30-voa

Last edited:
At what level does Oil Analyzers call fuel dilution "abnormal" They seem to allow for slightly higher fuel dilution, than the labs I have been sending to.

Originally Posted by cdlamb
At what level does Oil Analyzers call fuel dilution "abnormal" They seem to allow for slightly higher fuel dilution, than the labs I have been sending to.

Funny you mention that. They measured my Yamaha outboards fuel to be ">5%" and categorized it as "severe", yet the 3% here was just called "minor". 🤷ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸
Wonder what 4% would be? Almost severe?...‚...„

The lube did a good job, and has plenty of life left in it. The wear metal rates are typical for this engine and well in control. Contamination, other than fuel, is low. As we all know, fuel is higher in the DI applications, but there's no proof that it hurts the engine, even up to 5%. Follow the IOLM; you don't need to stop at 5k miles - it's a waste of oil.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Regarding the base number- it went from 6.78 per the VOA Subie provides us, to 4 points lower as of my sampling, which was at an IOLM reading of 50%.

Question- so will the IOLM "know" when my base is depleted to an insufficient level?
Question two- is bass depletion logarithmic with hours / miles or some curve? If a "straight line", it would in theory be -1 (joke) by 10k miles.....

Fwiw, I didn't change the oil at this sampling, I just sucked some out via dipstick hole.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by noclutch
Regarding the base number- it went from 6.78 per the VOA Subie provides us, to 4 points lower as of my sampling, which was at an IOLM reading of 50%.

Question- so will the IOLM "know" when my base is depleted to an insufficient level?
Question two- is bass depletion logarithmic with hours / miles or some curve? If a "straight line", it would in theory be -1 (joke) by 10k miles.....

Fwiw, I didn't change the oil at this sampling, I just sucked some out via dipstick hole.

-The iOLM does not know what brand of oil, API rating, or weight of oil you put in your engine. Nor what the TBN is at any given time. It's simply based off of mileage and driving habits (towing, stop and go, hwy miles, etc.).
-TBN is not a linear thing, it does not deplete a certain amount per mile.

Originally Posted by noclutch

One of the interesting tidbits I picked up on in another RGT thread is that the TBN for this oil may be underrated by a point or two on a VOA. Anecdotal perhaps but if your truck's IOLM is rating a 4 point drop after 4800 miles it would stand to reason that the TBN may be closer to being in the 8-9 range and you may be able to drive closer to a maximum of 9500 miles in your application under similar conditions. Pure guesswork on my part.

Thanks some more! I'm a sorta old newb, but learning!

So for no good reason other than to see the difference in the next interval, I decided to go with Edge this go around, which is -B1 and SN+ as well as I'm still under warranty. And use the Motorcraft filter for the same reason.
The Edge (not of U2) starts out with more TBN @10 fwiw. But a lower cSt @10.7- so the diluted and sheared viscosity will be interesting to see at the same interval. If it drops 2 points like the RGT did, it'll be sub- 30w by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back