Same DEXOS approval number for several brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I believe the Citgo made oils all end with 121. The re-packaged oil also ends with 121 and includes Blaine's Farm and Fuel, Harvest King, Master Mechanic, Motomaster ( Canadian Tire's house brand up in Canada), and Resolute.

Another interesting observation is the code for Napa products in the USA is 103, same as Valvoline.

Supertech, STP and Amazon Basics all end in 25, which is Warren Distribution.

Thanks for posting the updated list.
smile.gif

Harvest King is now WARREN OIL, not Citgo anymore

Originally Posted by RyanY
Apparently the only currently approved 0w30 is M1. I dont have access to the dexos gen 1 list (if one ever existed) so I can't tell whether others were approved at that time. Do any newer GM cars spec 0w30?

GM has, for the longest time, traditionally permitted 0w-30 in 5w-30 applications where useful for the weather conditions. They've had the wording in the manuals for many years.

Originally Posted by Garak
Apparently the only currently approved 0w30 is M1. I dont have access to the dexos gen 1 list (if one ever existed) so I can't tell whether others were approved at that time. Do any newer GM cars spec 0w30?

GM has, for the longest time, traditionally permitted 0w-30 in 5w-30 applications where useful for the weather conditions. They've had the wording in the manuals for many years.

I was not aware of that...thanks! I never checked this, as I probably wont need 0w30 in my region.

Just from a quick check, here's the wording for the 2019 GMC Terrain, which is the similar wording to what I've seen for years:

For the LTG 2.0L turbo engine, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil. Cold Temperature Operation: In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used. An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easier cold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
The GM DEXOS approval list (https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html)

(Is this the definitive dexos list as quickly looking through these oils I see one and only one 0W30 that has dexos1 Gen2 approval and that is an M1 offering).

Apparently the only currently approved 0w30 is M1.

And yet it it appears Castrol Edge 0W30 has dexos 2 certification (and not listed in the latest approval list)

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JimSilverado
I have an 2018 Silverado. Purchased new. Used up the 2 free oil changes at 5,000 miles each. Currently Running Rotella T6 15-40W. No issues

Why would you have issues? But 15W40 is not what I recommend using.

And yet it it appears Castrol Edge 0W30 has dexos 2 certification (and not listed in the latest approval list)

I wonder how that works. I'm not exactly sure how an A3/B4 can be dexos2 (or dexos1, for that matter).

The GM DEXOS approval list (https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html)

(Is this the definitive dexos list as quickly looking through these oils I see one and only one 0W30 that has dexos1 Gen2 approval and that is an M1 offering).

Apparently the only currently approved 0w30 is M1.

[Linked Image]

Look carefully everyone.

It says "Dexos Gen 2." What appears to be a "2" is actually just the Dexos logo color coded green for dexos1.

The dexos2 logo would be in blue, not green and has a smaller 2, easy to delineate, and in the lower right hand corner.

Wait.
What the heck is going on here ?
I knew there was something wrong with this picture.

So, this oil is purportedly...
a 0W30 motor oil
dexos1 gen2
A3/B4
SL

Huh ?

I just went to the Castrol website and looked.
Strange.
Impossible.

That is an officially approved oil to various German specifications, though, that are based on A3/B4. The dexos1 spec requires something with SA of 1 or less, if not lower than that. I thought it was reduced to 0.8 at Generation 2. By definition, this 0w-30 will have an SA of 1.0 or greater, and probably significantly greater, like most other A3/B4 lubes. The phosphorus content also won't fly under dexos1 rules.

If GM is going to be licensing 30 grades as dexos1 with an elevated HTHS like this, I'm all for it, but I'm not convinced this is what's happening here.

That's the dexos2 list, and I'm not surprised about Castrol actually having 0w-30 dexos2 options. I had heard about them before. They weren't the A3/B4 variant, though. Of course, there still is no 0w-30 on the dexos1 list except M1 AFE. I think we're playing in a time machine or in the Groundhog Day movie. The VW/Audi dealers in North America didn't know the difference between Castrol 0w-30 U.S. and Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4, much to the detriment of VW/Audi owners. Now I'm confused as to what Castrol is trying to pull here or what what wrong in their labeling.

Note that this is a dexos1 label. It would be interesting to check the dexos license number and see what the deal is. Of course, GM collects royalties for oil, so it's up to them to police it. If Castrol and GM aren't sure what Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 is really about and what it's intended for, I've got no incentive to help them.

If GM is allowing high SAPS, high viscosity lubes as dexos1 options, that's fine by me, but it completely defeats the dexos1 ideal and flies in the face of everything they've done for the past forty years. If GM is allowing high SAPS lubes as dexos2 options, then again, they're not making any sense.

Heck, the 5w-30 I'm running now is closer to dexos1 and dexos2 than is an A3/B4 lubricant. Maybe they should give Shell a double license for free because of ingenuity.

Last edited:
That's the dexos2 list, and I'm not surprised about Castrol actually having 0w-30 dexos2 options.

I was in CT and Part Source on Sunday and I unable to see any of this 0W30 with the dexos2 labelling.

(I saw the "European formula" in quart bottles but no mention of dexos. And I can't see any sign of Edge FTT 0W30 in the store)

Yes, that's the other problem we get in Canada, especially at CT and Partsource. You find dated stock, or two different label versions on the shelf.
wink.gif
I haven't checked the oil aisle in CT, Partsource, or my independent that carries a lot of Castrol lately, so I'm not even sure what to expect on the shelves.

or my independent that carries a lot of Castrol lately

Just curious Garak as to which "independent(s)" you frequent?

I have bought Pennzoil oils from BLUE Wave Energy. Where can one source Castrol oils similarly?

One is Albert North Auto and Agro which is on the Uni Select network and maybe Bumper to Bumper, if I remember correctly. They have a reasonable Castrol selection, and that's where I last saw a 20w-20. I get my Wix and Raybestos and SI-1 there. The other is Den-Paul, part of the Bestbuy network, and that's the one with all the Castrol on the shelves. I get my LMA and Fram there.

Wakefield is the Castrol distributor in Canada, but I'm not even sure where their closest warehouses are. I know the Shell, Imperial Oil, Husky (Chevron), and Petro-Canada warehouses, but not where the Wakefield stuff comes in here. It could be just trucked in as needed. I know they aggressively market to the independent shops, be they part stores or repair shops.

I don't give a [censored] about emissions so why would I use that 0w 20 junk? I still get the same gas mileage

That's the dexos2 list, and I'm not surprised about Castrol actually having 0w-30 dexos2 options. I had heard about them before. They weren't the A3/B4 variant, though. Of course, there still is no 0w-30 on the dexos1 list except M1 AFE. I think we're playing in a time machine or in the Groundhog Day movie. The VW/Audi dealers in North America didn't know the difference between Castrol 0w-30 U.S. and Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4, much to the detriment of VW/Audi owners. Now I'm confused as to what Castrol is trying to pull here or what what wrong in their labeling.
Note that this is a dexos1 label. It would be interesting to check the dexos license number and see what the deal is. Of course, GM collects royalties for oil, so it's up to them to police it. If Castrol and GM aren't sure what Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 is really about and what it's intended for, I've got no incentive to help them.
If GM is allowing high SAPS, high viscosity lubes as dexos1 options, that's fine by me, but it completely defeats the dexos1 ideal and flies in the face of everything they've done for the past forty years. If GM is allowing high SAPS lubes as dexos2 options, then again, they're not making any sense.
Heck, the 5w-30 I'm running now is closer to dexos1 and dexos2 than is an A3/B4 lubricant. Maybe they should give Shell a double license for free because of ingenuity.

Did a poster here actually take that pic of the A3/B4/dexos 1 Gen 2 Castrol 0W30 bottle?
If not, it is possible that pic was photoshopped for reasons that I couldn't possibly explain??
I am very confused....I just checked a few minutes ago and the only d1G2 0W30 on the GM list is still M1 AFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back