Troy-Bilt zero turn blade nuts are impossible to remove

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried my 1/2" impact and it couldn't budge 'em. Tried a breaker bar with an extension pipe and nothing. Machine is 2 years old and never seen water. No rust anywhere. Could they have red loctited the nuts on? they are 15/16" nut on the blade spindle.

Stupid question, is it reverse threaded? Did you try heat to break the red Loctite if they used it.

Just don't let that shaft get so hot it fries your bearing or melts that aluminum spindle housing...–. Keep putting the ATF or penetrating oil to it. Have you tried tightening then loosening, might work. Banging away with the air gun helps the penetrating oil soak down in 🤞ðŸ»ðŸ¤žðŸ»ðŸ¤žðŸ»ðŸ¤žðŸ»ðŸ¤žðŸ».

Is it a good impact gun? Heat and more impact, penetrant, and more impact.

When you get them off, anti-seize.

Last edited:
I think the spindles are rh thread, right? you tighten the shaft by the bolt at the top and the nut under the blade, works like a regular bolt and nut.

I have Bobcat and they use a 15/16" wrench and are right hand threaded. Careful using heat as there are bearings with grease and the heat will melt the grease. The bearings would need to be pressed out. Use a pipe on the breaker bar with a 6 point socket.

OP,

Look in your Owners Manual to determine if it's Left or Right handed thread and
proper torque for tightening.

Also, REMOVE THE SPARK PLUG WIRE(S) BEFORE TURNING ANY MOWER BLADE

Originally Posted by dwcopple
i tried the gun in both directions and notta...

Is your model similar to the video???
Video above shows right hand.

Torch , but it might not hurt to wrap a wet rag around the shaft to try to help slow down heat transfer / migration to places that it might damage .

Heat , oil , impact . Repeat as necessary .

May have to put a cheater pile on the break-over bar AND the blade ? DO NOT break anything .

Can you move it into a truck bed? If so take it to some place that does heavy equipment. I'll bet a 3/4" drive will belt it off. Those home air wrenches aren't usually cranking out to near their advertised capacity. I've got an Aircat rated for 1300+ and ain't no way it's getting close to that. Something that regularly knocks loose wheel nuts on semis and payloaders will surely get it. That might just save you destroying your aluminum spindle trying to cherry that big steel nut.

manual says normal lefty-loosey. Also says to hold the nut (another 15/16") on the top of the spindle. Torque value is 70-90ft-lb. I don't get it.

I have a harbor freight earthquake impact wrench that I used commercially in a small engine shop for 5 years straight. Its old, one of the first ones available, probably has 700 or 800 ft lbs of torque. And it will absolutely, positively bust off every nut I have ever tried it on in seconds. If the nut doesn't come off, then the bolt is getting shattered. But that bolt is coming off, guaranteed.

I dont know what impact you are running, but might be time to upgrade. Even the cheap earthquakes are incredible, for the money.

Hopefully some idiot didn't put red loctite on it.

No idea if they did. I bought it direct from Troy Bilt drop shipped to my front door. New in crate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back