Why isnt there more love for Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Treadstone
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
If you had to choose between PP and QSUD,and they were priced the exact same,which would you choose and why?

QSUD for higher 100*C viscosity...

Exactly!

What do you imagine that would do for you if the HTHS viscosity is the same?

Originally Posted by CR94
What do you imagine that would do for you if the HTHS viscosity is the same?

Well, seeing as HTHS isn't published for the QSUD or PP, I took a gamble.

I'm gonna give ultimate durability a try in my GM 5.3,
Been running mobil 1 5w 30 and valvoline maxlife full syn. In both my 5.3 for many years.

I decided to run QSUD in my truck and I noticed just as smooth operation as I did with Pennzoil. Which makes me thing that since they are distributed by Sopus, maybe they are nearly the same oil?

Eitherway, Im a bigtime fan especially based off many comments in this thread

I used QS back in the early 70's with no problems , no engine engine trouble at all. The engines were clean. I stopped using QS and started using Mobil 1 because i wanted to use the synthetic oil. I talked to a QS engineer some years later about what was being said about sludge issue of QS and he said that they checked in to the rumor & it was mostly from cars that were in the southern states & the car owners didn't keep the oil changed when it was time to service them. Was he telling the truth or just blowing smoke or just trying to defend QS.

im now running QSUD in my tuned F150 3.5EB and QSAD in my Subaru Crosstrek ... previously Mobil

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tdi jerry
I used QS back in the early 70's with no problems , no engine engine trouble at all. The engines were clean. I stopped using QS and started using Mobil 1 because i wanted to use the synthetic oil. I talked to a QS engineer some years later about what was being said about sludge issue of QS and he said that they checked in to the rumor & it was mostly from cars that were in the southern states & the car owners didn't keep the oil changed when it was time to service them. Was he telling the truth or just blowing smoke or just trying to defend QS.

He is not blowing smoke. It was just part of the times. In other parts of North America it was Castrol which caused sludge because it was the most popular oil in that market.

I'd always heard about Quaker state and Pennzoil being the sludge causers. Unfortunate as I worked as mechanic for years. Never paid any mind to it personally but I heard it from so many people and for so long. Gospel in the north woods.

I'd been doing UOAs for years on fleet vehicles we serviced with bulk Dino (reputable bulk that met legit specs...generally citgo and warren) so I knew better. Specs are specs. If Quaker state and pennzoil met the same specs I knew the UOAs would be fine and they always were.

Oddly the north woods always seemed to be Mobil and Valvoline country. Still is really though I'd guess super tech has cut in in a huge way.

I'd run QS w/out hesitation and have many times. I like their marketing, price and packaging.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I
I'd run QS w/out hesitation and have many times. I like their marketing, price and packaging.

This absoulutely seems to be the trend of this thread. I wonder how many people would benefit from even doing extended oil changes with QS. Should go to 10K with most vehicles no issue?

I'd always heard about Quaker state and Pennzoil being the sludge causers. Unfortunate as I worked as mechanic for years. Never paid any mind to it personally but I heard it from so many people and for so long. Gospel in the north woods.

I'd been doing UOAs for years on fleet vehicles we serviced with bulk Dino (reputable bulk that met legit specs...generally citgo and warren) so I knew better. Specs are specs. If Quaker state and pennzoil met the same specs I knew the UOAs would be fine and they always were.

Oddly the north woods always seemed to be Mobil and Valvoline country. Still is really though I'd guess super tech has cut in in a huge way.

I was thinking about this some more and it kind of seems like more and more people are jumping off the Mobil bandwagon and onto some of the other smaller oil brands (perhaps even Castrol?).

It is interesting to wonder why? better bargains?

In Walmart. Got Royal Purple for $40.98

QSUD (which I have in my car now... 1.5k out of 10k OCI) $19.97.

The QSUD is probably better oil than the Royal Purple (turning jug around... 0W-20 API Service SN, not special anymore.. QSUD probably has more too.) Discuss.

M1 $22.88 on rollback, $25.77 for EP and AP coming in at $39.84. Not one AP sold. Some EP sold. 0W-16 shelf full. 0W-20 sold out. 0W-30 one left. That's the AFE section. 0W-40, 5 quarts $22.88, 3 left....

Originally Posted by ad244

I was thinking about this some more and it kind of seems like more and more people are jumping off the Mobil bandwagon and onto some of the other smaller oil brands (perhaps even Castrol?).

It is interesting to wonder why? better bargains?

My absolute WAG about this, never fully embracing Mobil oil as my own personal brand of choice, largely of because of how it performed in my engines and how other choices were better and that was my choice, not a knock on those that choose M1, such a disclaimer is necessary for the loyalists on here and those reading the board... is that maybe Mobil is being perceived as an evil empire, if talking to the greenies, and other brands or not.. it would be much harder to argue that the chemical composition change is the reason, since it seems M1 is better than ever before. Some people, however, fear change.

That's all I got, and I do not know.

Shopping, looking for Dex6 trans fluid. I think one of us came in and bought it all. Two jugs left on the shelf. Carry on.

Me personally I don't like Pennzoil or Quakerstake oil. I ran Quakerstake in a Vue and it used a quart within a couple of thousands miles and valves got noisy so I went to Pennzoil oil didn't drop until 4k. I ran Maxlife and didn't lose a quart between changes of 5k or once a year. My Caravan had Pennzoil from the factory and dropped a quart at 4k so I changed it with Napa then Havoline ProDs which neither lost any between changes. My mother uses Pennzoil in her Impala and it just started using oil between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back