How much of a difference is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think there is a significant difference between high end boutique detailing products compared to retail products? I've used a local detailer in the past that used Blackfire Sealant. He did a great job but honestly, I didn't notice any significant advantage over some of the retail products like Meguiars etc. I have a feeling that most important is how often and how well of a job you do to the car that makes the real difference.

My 2015 Mazda looks great after 5 years and I attribute that to never taking it through the car wash. The car has only been hand washed. If your paint needs correction that's another story. Like oil there are diminishing returns with boutique detailing products with one company tripping over the next to sell....

Just curious if anyone got away from using boutique products and moved back to retail?

Yes.
The difference can be found with the durability.
The amount of product used per application.
Intangibles (off gassing of some interior dash products causes a film to quickly develop on the interior windows)

There are some GREAT products available OTC, but your chances of getting a clinker are higher.

Probably the best balance in quality and price are Duragloss.

I would say the standard consumer would never notice a difference (I myself am in that group). But there are experts out there that have 30+ years experience that use " boutique" products for a reason. Not just because they are more expensive.

For the average consumer the end result will depend on the application and how the total job is done. Putting a LSP on a badly swirled paint job will just bring out the swirls.

In some cases like the SiO2 based products, the more expensive ones will have more of the active ingredient.

There are certainly differences depending on the product so the answer is: it depends.

With LSPs there are differences in gloss, longevity, UV protection, ability to repel dirt, beading v. sheeting; however, it's like squeezing a balloon and the other end pops out, you can't have the best of all attributes in any one product. Seeking out a product that's a few bucks more can definitely boost a couple of those attributes at a time.

Wheel cleaners, getting a better one makes a difference.

Tire shine, getting a better one makes a difference.

Car wash soap is something I've found it makes virtually no difference whether you get a boutique brand or a basic one.

My wheel brush came from the cleaning aisle at Lowe's and it works perfectly.

Originally Posted by PimTac
For the average consumer the end result will depend on the application and how the total job is done. Putting a LSP on a badly swirled paint job will just bring out the swirls.

In some cases like the SiO2 based products, the more expensive ones will have more of the active ingredient.

Most waxes and some sealants have temporary filling ability which hide swirls for a short period.

I recently got the Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax and Seal and Shine. The Spray Wax did a nicer job on a light colored car than Collinite 845. Looks glossier, feels slicker and bugs and stuff come off very easily.

It is supposed to last 2 months. The seal and shine is supposed to last 6 months and is apparently very very resistant to chemicals. It will be interesting to see if it looks as good as the Spray Wax.

Ive used pretty much anything OTC. Depends how often you do it and how thorough. I did an iron x and clay and an OTC sealant and it looks great. Will just wash and wax going forth. Ideally you want to just keep the paint protected when its not being worked on to remove swirls and scratches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back