Recommended oil weight vs tier in brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know bottom line is that the engine won't blow up either way but I just wanted to know what BITOG thinks about this. I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 as the 2015 Juke calls for -20 (previous years recommended -30). Oil Change for winter will be here in a couple months and it looks like PUP 0w-20 is mad expensive. I had the choice of going to Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 or I can get PUP 5w-30. I know a Nissan tech from Boston runs 5w-30 all year round and they have similiar winters as us in Wisconsin (we may be more extreme still cuz is Wisco).

Would you guys stick with a similiar less tier PP 0w-20 or the same tier 5w-30 for winter? Like I said before, I know neither will blow up the engine and was just curious. Doesn't even matter if it's Pennzoil, could be a question for anyone using another brand but I was just curious of weight vs tier.

I live in eastern Wisconsin and my Subarus take 0w20, I like Rotella Gas Truck and Mobil 1 AFE. No problems in the winter using 0w20.

I also have a 2012 Hyundai Accent that uses 5w20 or 5w30, again no problem using either grade even when it got to 30 below with -50 wind chill last winter.

Don't overthink it, pick one of PP or PUP and use with confidence. Right now Walmart has 5 quart jugs of PUP 5W30 for $19.99 if you order online.

Id run the 20, save a few bucks on cheaper oil and enjoy the savings on what is a depreciating liability anyway.

PUP is near boutique expensive in many places.
If you were towing 8K with a half-ton I could see spending the extra money- but a juke?
Min rated spec is fine.

I've run that inexpensive idemitsu formula in two vehicles now my Ridgeline and my lexus Rx400.

Heres what the idemitsu looked like on the stick after 10K mile in the Lexus. Granted its a MPFI not DI.

UD

IMG_8542.jpg

PUP is a great oil, but the knock has always been distribution and price. PP 5w30 would be a pretty decent choice as it is a low viscosity 30 weight oil, really close to 20 weight. If you get under -15f in the winters, maybe I would go to m1 0w20, one of the better cold performance oils and decent price readily available. Truck and Gas another shell product, just more moly, I guess also decent choice.

I'll put in my two cents for Castrol Magnatec 0W20, it is usually cheap at WM, occasionally even cheaper at Amazon, seems as good or better than any other major brand synthetic.

Getting the viscosity correct for the application is more important than the brand tier. For the frozen tundra of WI, M1 0w20 AFE has the lowest cold pumping viscosity of commonly available oils.

Originally Posted by UncleDave

Id run the 20, save a few bucks on cheaper oil and enjoy the savings on what is a depreciating liability anyway.

PUP is near boutique expensive in many places.
If you were towing 8K with a half-ton I could see spending the extra money- but a juke?
Min rated spec is fine.

I've run that inexpensive idemitsu formula in two vehicles now my Ridgeline and my lexus Rx400.

Heres what the idemitsu looked like on the stick after 10K mile in the Lexus. Granted its a MPFI not DI.

UD

best 10K color I've ever seen ... Granted I've never gone that far!
Must have a real nice engine plus MPFI helps. Forget that color with DI. lol

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I went and got me some Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. Will be doing UPA on the Ultra once winter comes and will post it to BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back