New 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5 EB engine recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why, maybe it's advertising that I keep hearing but I'm curious about this oil.

I'll probably pick up my supplies this weekend in anticipation for the first oil change.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I'm just looking for a smooth, quiet running engine with no consumption.

I'm not beating on the car and being mindful of the CVT trans. That's my biggest concern.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I like Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 and Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters in my two 2018 Outbacks.

I have a 2017 & a 2018 Forester. I use Mobil 1 Advanced that I buy from Sam's Club when on sale. Change is every 5,000 miles in the 2018 & every 4,000 in the 2017 (wife drives very short trips only). All changes are 0 W 20 as recommended by Subaru. An important note - careful with the oil filter. I use Fram XG7317 which has the proper relief valve setting. Subaru requires very high relief valve that many other filters don't have. Many crossover charts that I have looked at recommend a filter that has a much lower bypass valve setting but will fit on the engine - I recommend avoiding these filters and stick with ones that have Subaru's recommended bypass valve specification. Also, the Subaru OEM filter (blue not black) is made by Fram but is the variety that has the cardboard ends - the more expensive Fram XG7317 has metal ends and is recommended to be used with Synthetic oil. You can get the XG7317 at W-M, Amazon, etc.

Last edited:
I used to be concerned about the Suby's CVT but Subaru has upped their warranty to 100,000 miles or 10 years. Many vids on youtube talking about Suby CVT's that have upwards of 200,000 miles on'em with no trouble. Also, don't have CVT serviced before 100,000 miles or the warranty might be voided. After 100,000 miles, I intend to have the dealership do the flush and change. I fully expect to get over 200,000 miles on my Foresters.

Last edited:
Better check the relief valve specs on your oil filters. Suby requires very high relief valve settings. I recommend FRAM XG7317 that is their top of the line to be used with synthetic oil, has metal end caps, and is rated for long change intervals.

Last edited:
I had a dealership change my CVT fluid at 55k. It definitely operates more quietly now. I'm a believer in getting the breakin fluid and the shavings out and fresh fluid in for longevity. However its best to have a dealership do it for warranty considerations.

0w-20 oils that served me well with no startup clatter in the 2.0 FB are Castrol Magnatec, Mobil 1 EP, Valvoline.

Originally Posted by T-Stick
I had a dealership change my CVT fluid at 55k. It definitely operates more quietly now. I'm a believer in getting the breakin fluid and the shavings out and fresh fluid in for longevity. However its best to have a dealership do it for warranty considerations.

0w-20 oils that served me well with no startup clatter in the 2.0 FB are Castrol Magnatec, Mobil 1 EP, Valvoline.

Yes, I did the same and if I ever have any issue, I hope it will play in my favor that I did maintained the CVT.

On the Subaru.ca site, it mentions that the fluid needs to be changed evey 100k kms.

As far as oil filters go I would not worry as much about the 23 psi bypass as much as I would getting a filter that has a high flow output. Subaru's OEM blue filter is spec'ed to have a max flow of 16 gallons per minute, based on my research the Fram XG7317 has a max flow of 18 gallons per minute so the bypass spec is irrelevant. Frankly it is rare event that a Subaru engine would force an oil filter to go into bypass.

Another filter I have used with good results is the K&N HP-1010.

As long as you use an oil that will maintain lubricity for the timing chain you will be fine. I do not recommend extended OCIs just because oil is cheaper than a new timing chain or engine and I don't like doing the guesswork kust so I can feel good about "getting the most" out of whatever relatively inexpensive oil I put in the engine.

I have an '18 Crosstrek, Dont tell Subbie but Im running 5w30 PUP and a wix filter. I just got my winter jug on sale of Valvoline Modern Engine, 5w20. I probably wont run 0w20, we'll see. napa or wix filter.

2014 Forester FB25 - Currently at 136,000 miles - 5w30 M1 HM or Regular with Subaru Blue or Napa Gold 7055 filters every 5k miles. I use some oil between changes, typically around a quart. I check the level every fuel fill as I drive mostly highway. Car has been pretty solid. I have the CVT drained and refilled every 60k.

Last edited:
I ordered a couple of the Fram XG7317 filters. I'll pick up oil at Walmart this weekend. I ordered a Stahlbus oil drain valve as a replacement to make future changes easier. I already have an oil evacuator so that should keep me somewhat clean
smile.gif

I absolutely appreciate everyone's input. Thank you so much.

Please keep any more maintenance tips and tricks coming. I love to read them.

Originally Posted by IBelieveinlube
I have a 2017 & a 2018 Forester. I use Mobil 1 Advanced that I buy from Sam's Club when on sale. Change is every 5,000 miles in the 2018 & every 4,000 in the 2017 (wife drives very short trips only). All changes are 0 W 20 as recommended by Subaru. An important note - careful with the oil filter. I use Fram XG7317 which has the proper relief valve setting. Subaru requires very high relief valve that many other filters don't have. Many crossover charts that I have looked at recommend a filter that has a much lower bypass valve setting but will fit on the engine - I recommend avoiding these filters and stick with ones that have Subaru's recommended bypass valve specification. Also, the Subaru OEM filter (blue not black) is made by Fram but is the variety that has the cardboard ends - the more expensive Fram XG7317 has metal ends and is recommended to be used with Synthetic oil. You can get the XG7317 at W-M, Amazon, etc.

Be careful, this one is By-Pass Valve Setting 13 , from Fram website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back