Maxima CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about Nissan vehicles. Are the CVT trannys in the new Maxima's reliable? I am looking at the new Camrys but concerned about many reports of jerky shifts in their 8 speed automatic. Toyota improved the 4 cylinder with a firmware update but no fix so far on the V6. Thx.

The V6 applications in the Nissan lineup have been much, much more reliable than their 4 cylinder siblings. There's different reasons why, but nothing conclusive. Now, I'd still trust a Toyota CVT more, but as far as Nissans go, the V6 is the way to go.

Originally Posted by JustN89
The V6 applications in the Nissan lineup have been much, much more reliable than their 4 cylinder siblings. There's different reasons why, but nothing conclusive. Now, I'd still trust a Toyota CVT more, but as far as Nissans go, the V6 is the way to go.

Thx. Yes I would only consider V6. Toyota does not have a CVT in their V6. It is an 8 speed which many claim has annoying hesitation and jerky shifts under certain conditions. I was thinking the Maxima CVT would be smooth but I am leery of a CVT.

Right. Comparing apples to apples, if you're set on a V6 and the Maxima feels more comfortable, then go with that.
thumbsup2.gif

A Car nut friend traded a V6 Maxima for a used BMW 5 series AWD turbo 4. A year later he is still enamoured with the car and has had no issues. I think it was well under 20K. with low miles.
The Maxima used to be a premium Japanese made vehicle and now is a Altima variant Built in Tn.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
The Altima and Maxima may share some components, but they are two vastly different automobiles.

What are the major differences?

Nissan CVTs tend to be more problematic than ones from other manufacturers.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
The Altima and Maxima may share some components, but they are two vastly different automobiles.

Here

Here

You were just waiting for the right time to use that link, weren't you?

I've put roughly 140K on two CVT Maximas (2010 and 2016) with zero problems. I have several friends approaching 200K with their 7 - 9 year old Muranos.

The 3.5L and CVT is a really nice, well matched powertrain. You rarely hear of CVT issues when mated to the V6. There's various theories why this is. I believe it's because the V6 CVT is built to take more torque. On thing being the CVT "belt" has more steel bands stacked together than those built for 4cyl engines.

We've got ~85K miles on this combo in our 2016 Nissan Quest and engine/trans wise, it's been flawless. It's the least of my worries in this van, but I have done 4-5 CVT fluid drain/fills on it since I've owned it. Rust, suspension and other components are more of a worry to me with Nissan.

I think you'll find if you sit in and drive a maxima or altima, you'll love the seating comfort and driving dynamics.

Here

Basically the search results in the conclusion that "The similarities don't quite end there, but they are two very different cars. Maxima is the more muscular and luxurious sedan of the pair, with a focus on performance and a premium interior." Source for this quote was from https://www.nissanusa.com/experience-nissan/news-and-events/altima-vs-maxima.html

IMO it is kind of like saying that a lower optioned Ford F-150 has major differences with the higher optioned Ford F-150. Marketing at its best. Similar to what GM did back in the day with chevy vs Pontiac vs Olds vs Buick vs Caddy vs GMC. Marketing, If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with gobbley-gook.

The cvt used in the v6 Nissan models seem to hold up well.
When I worked the nissan parts counter, trouble with a quest, murano or maxima cvt was very rare.
We have an 11 Quest my wife drives mostly, has 96k miles and the cvt has been flawless.
I drain and fill the cvt fluid every 30k.
If you havent driven a Maxima, you are missing out! The 3.5 v6 and the cvt make for a fun car to drive, smooth acceleration, and when you really get on the throttle the acceleration is impressive! Very comfortable seating and nice interior.

Originally Posted by cronk
The cvt used in the v6 Nissan models seem to hold up well.
When I worked the nissan parts counter, trouble with a quest, murano or maxima cvt was very rare.
We have an 11 Quest my wife drives mostly, has 96k miles and the cvt has been flawless.
I drain and fill the cvt fluid every 30k.
If you havent driven a Maxima, you are missing out! The 3.5 v6 and the cvt make for a fun car to drive, smooth acceleration, and when you really get on the throttle the acceleration is impressive! Very comfortable seating and nice interior.

I just test drove a 2019 Maxima SL Platinum. Very smooth and powerful but I thought the suspension and steering were stiff compared to a Camry. A little too sporty for an old geezer like me. Very sharp looking car but many complaints on the Nissan forums about rattles and self-destructing interior/exterior trim as plastic clips loosen and/or break.

Like anyone needs a V6 in a midsized car in the age of 185-200HP 4 bangers.

You guys all drive slow.

I'm a old hot rodder and rarely used the full power of my 4 cylinder engines.
35 grand "do-nothing" midsized sedans are dinosaurs.

I'd need a Challenger SRT392 with a stick to even get me to look in that direction.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Like anyone needs a V6 in a midsized car in the age of 185-200HP 4 bangers.

You guys all drive slow.

I'm a old hot rodder and rarely used the full power of my 4 cylinder engines.
35 grand "do-nothing" midsized sedans are dinosaurs.

I'd need a Challenger SRT392 with a stick to even get me to look in that direction.

The last thing I want to drive is a screaming turbo 4 cylinder. To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back