Same DEXOS approval number for several brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been discussed before but I did not see any concrete statements. The GM DEXOS approval list (https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html) includes several store brand oils and branded oils made by the company, with the same approval number. For example, Amalie Elixir 5w30, some of the Carquest syn 5w30, and some of the STP syn 5w30 have the same approval number (D10397HG049). Does this mean they are the same oil in a different package, or does this just reflect the fact that they were all packaged by Amalie?

Originally Posted by RyanY
For example, Amalie Elixir 5w30, some of the Carquest syn 5w30, and some of the STP syn 5w30 have the same approval number (D10397HG049). Does this mean they are the same oil in a different package?

That is my understanding.

I'm not sure of the answer. I know when WPP/Warren Dist oils have like Super Tech been discussed, approval # used to identify them as manufacturer. If I had to speculate, same oil.

On a related note, good to see the Dexos1 Gen2 listing restored. For awhile it disappeared.

It makes sense that the oil manufacturer would get Dexos certification for their product, which allows them to put the Dexos logo on all of that product, regardless of the retail brand selling the product. Walmart's Supertech synthetic oil has Dexos approval and I don't think Walmart paid for the testing and certification, it was done by the oil manufacturer (Warren or ?).

To throw a wrench here, which I think might be why there's confusion. Some known distributors do not share a license number with the house brand. For instance, Citgo packages for Blain's Farm & Fleet. Yet none of their Dexos oils have matching license number. They're close, and you can definitely see some kind of pattern at work, but they're not exactly the same.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RamFan
To throw a wrench here, which I think might be why there's confusion. Some known distributors do not share a license number with the house brand. For instance, Citgo packages for Blain's Farm & Fleet. Yet none of their Dexos oils have matching license number. They're close, and you can definitely see some kind of pattern at work, but they're not exactly the same.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It appears in this example Blain's footed the bill for testing and certification.

Originally Posted by dave1251

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It appears in this example Blain's footed the bill for testing and certification.

How did you determine that by looking at this list?
Thanks!

I'm assuming it takes a while for companies to update their products to comply? I say this because there are a couple omissions which previously had DX1 - Liqui Moly Special Tec DX1 and (one of my local favourites) Penrite GF5 enviro+, and that's just at first glance.

Also, can someone tell me how/why Fram Ultra XG filters have a Dexos rating?

Edit - don't mind me, I found the two oils on the list. But still confused by the filters..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OZHSV

Ha, that's not for the filters. Believe it or not but Fram actually sells oil too. Only place I've ever found it is on Amazon but it is a thing.

Originally Posted by OZHSV

Ha, that's not for the filters. Believe it or not but Fram actually sells oil too. Only place I've ever found it is on Amazon but it is a thing.

Considering it's not even on their website, I'm not sure what to think now..!

From Dexos website.. fwiw

"Licensed Blenders manufacture engine oil meeting the dexos® specification using previously approved additives and formulations obtained from additive suppliers. An initial production and yearly sample (1-gallon) will be required for the life of the license.

Licensed Branders purchase fully formulated dexos® oil from a Licensed Blender and repackage the oil under their own brand name(s)."

A "brander" (XYX Farm & Ranch for example) doesn't/didn't necessarily "pay" for the oil license, they are using the license from the blender for the oil and have their own "branders"???... this is how I interpret it.

Last edited:
There is a new category DexosD
crazy2.gif

Right now, there are only 2 licensed dexosD oils,one of them being ACDelco of course, and both are 0w20

I have an 2018 Silverado. Purchased new. Used up the 2 free oil changes at 5,000 miles each. Currently Running Rotella T6 15-40W. No issues

Originally Posted by JimSilverado
I have an 2018 Silverado. Purchased new. Used up the 2 free oil changes at 5,000 miles each. Currently Running Rotella T6 15-40W. No issues

You're using 15w-40 in a truck that specs 0w-20? Why?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Originally Posted by RyanY
The GM DEXOS approval list (https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html)

(Is this the definitive dexos list as quickly looking through these oils I see one and only one 0W30 that has dexos1 Gen2 approval and that is an M1 offering).

Apparently the only currently approved 0w30 is M1. I dont have access to the dexos gen 1 list (if one ever existed) so I can't tell whether others were approved at that time. Do any newer GM cars spec 0w30?

I believe the Citgo made oils all end with 121. The re-packaged oil also ends with 121 and includes Blaine's Farm and Fuel, Harvest King, Master Mechanic, Motomaster ( Canadian Tire's house brand up in Canada), and Resolute.

Another interesting observation is the code for Napa products in the USA is 103, same as Valvoline.

Supertech, STP and Amazon Basics all end in 25, which is Warren Distribution.

Thanks for posting the updated list.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Does GM "spec" any grades or are they recommendations?

Good question! I may be mistaken and/or reading too much into this, but my understanding is that a specification indicates a "must use" oil whereas a recommendation indicates a "should use" oil.

Based on this interpretation, my 2007 Cad owner's manual appears to be somewhere between a recommendation and a specification. Under the heading "Recommended SAE Viscosity..." it indicates 5w30 but then directly states "Do not use...any other viscosity grade oil not recommended." Is this a recommendation or a specification?

Regardless, given that GM4718M is outdated, my interpretation is that I should use 5w30 dexos approved oil even though other viscosities also have dexos approval.

20190808_133550.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back