Filters Available At WM

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my fusion and f150 I usually pick up a Motorcraft for less than 4 bucks at WM. Just wondering if a ST or Fram has better filtering ability (microns,NOT extended OCI's.) than a FL910S & FL500.

When readily available and affordable, I use Motorcraft on Fords, Delco on GM, and Mopar on Dodge/Chrysler. Stick with the Motorcraft, they work fine. You cant go wrong using the OEM filter.

If you want to change your filter every other oil change, then try a tough guard or xtra guard.

Avoid the FL-820S at all costs.
These have a terrible reputation for tearing media (search)

The FL500S has a MUCH better reputation.

Years ago, Motorcraft filters were outstanding!

It seems not so much anymore (Purloator tearing issues)

I emailed the motorcraft support, and they told me that the FL-810A & FL-910S were both 80% at 20 microns. The Fram EG (Orange Can of Delight) has 95% at 20 microns; the Tough Guard and Ultra have 99.x% at 20 microns. Going on memory here, but IIRC, the SuperTech filters are below Fram, but above Motorcraft, in terms of efficiency, but I forget their exact numbers.

Last edited:
I was just basically wondering if the ST or Fram offerings at WM have better filtering ability than the MC. All three are about the same price.

Originally Posted by paulri
I emailed the motorcraft support, and they told me that the FL-810A & FL-910S were both 80% at 20 microns.

Was that recently? Motorcraft has claimed that a long time ago, but they also have said that all Motorcraft filters meet the minimum efficiency of 95% @ 30μ per USCAR-36 since Jan 2017. 80% @ 20μ could very well align with 95% @ 30μ.

Motorcraft oil filter USCAR-36 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8x6RlI8bQ

A 910 is like $4 ($3.97 actually) while the FU is $9. I haven't looked at the ST filters but I'm sure they're closer to the Motorcraft price.

Their reply was dated 26 June 2018.

I have pics of a couple of filter efficiency graph curves. 95% @ 30 could very well equal 80% @ 20 microns, although in both pics I just looked at, I'm not sure what the data points were behind the curves--were those lines extrapolations? Who knows?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I emailed the motorcraft support, and they told me that the FL-810A & FL-910S were both 80% at 20 microns.

Was that recently? Motorcraft has claimed that a long time ago, but they also have said that all Motorcraft filters meet the minimum efficiency of 95% @ 30μ per USCAR-36 since Jan 2017. 80% @ 20μ could very well align with 95% @ 30μ.

Motorcraft oil filter USCAR-36 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g8x6RlI8bQ

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
For my fusion and f150 I usually pick up a Motorcraft for less than 4 bucks at WM. Just wondering if a ST or Fram has better filtering ability (microns,NOT extended OCI's.) than a FL910S & FL500.

I use the fl910s on my Fusion, I do 5,000 mile changes and was actually considering changing to the Fram extra guard since it has a silicone ADBV now and a higher filtering efficiency rating, and it's a little cheaper than the motocraft.

I have pics of a couple of filter efficiency graph curves. 95% @ 30 could very well equal 80% @ 20 microns, although in both pics I just looked at, I'm not sure what the data points were behind the curves--were those lines extrapolations? Who knows?

Can you post up the efficiency curves? Would be interesting to see - thanks.

The PH orange cans are at least as good as Motorcraft. The TG is better, and thew Ultra better still. ST probably about the same, M1 and K&N probably smaller microns, too

I would take a Supertech any day over a Purolator made Motorcraft. Even a combo valve filters (that I can't stand).

That said, the FL910 and FL500 have not had any major issues like the FL820.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Can you post up the efficiency curves? Would be interesting to see - thanks.

I'd like to see that data as well. I would agree with you both that 95% at 30um is very probable to be around 80% at 20um.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I was just basically wondering if the ST or Fram offerings at WM have better filtering ability than the MC. All three are about the same price.

Fram Ultra is not only better, it is pretty much the best you can buy at this time. Fram Ultra has 99.2% efficiency at 20 microns, Motorcraft is nowhere near close.

OK here goes. One (the one with filters labeled "A" through "H") is from that infamous study that David has criticized as not being relevant to real driving conditions--but the efficiency curve is still there. I don't recall where the other two came from. I might have downloaded one after seeing Z06 post it, I have no idea.

After looking at teh second graph (at least in the preview editor)--the one with filters labeled A through D, and data points noted as a triangle, square, circle, & diamond), it looked like it might be four of the A through H filters. There are blue and brown lines in the A through H pic that look like they correspond to filters A & C in the second pic, but I don't think there is anything in the A through H pic that corresponds to filters B and D in the second pic. All of which is to say, it appears that this second pic is NOT simply repeating the data of four filters from the A through H study. I have no idea where the third pic came from, for all I know it was giving as an example of the efficiency curves of various types of filters. But it is there.

EDIT: Sorry, the second graph (with four filters) is from the so-called "bus filter study," probably from the 90s, which has the number 902238 (an SAE publication number?) at the top of the first page. So the first two are two different studies.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
^^^ Yep, those efficiency vs particle size curves have been posted in this forum before. The blue (cellulous) curve in the last graph is close to hitting both 95% @ 30μ and 80% @ 20μ. So not a stretch to say the Motorcraft has a similar shaped curve.

Also, curve A in the 2nd graph - if the top end was extrapolated out to 30 microns then that curve would also be close to meeting both the 95% @ 30μ and 80% @ 20μ data points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back