Amsoil CVT Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by vssjim
When a trans or cvt fails normally the fluid is all the same black HA!

Not when mine failed. Clear as day and no burnt smell. My cvt didn't actually fail, it just started whining during a hot trip home from stlouis.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by IndyIan
I wonder how different the CVT fluid is compared to tractor fluild? Seems to have all the same basic requirements, with friction modifiers to prevent wet brake and clutch chatter.

Necro post but see:

Nissan CVT Fluid 1

and

Nissan CVT Fluid 2

These CVT fluids are very, very different from Step-Shift transmission fluids and tractor fluids.

Each application has a completely different set of requirements and additive chemstries.

None of these fluids are interchangeable across applications.

E.g, do not put a Step-Shift ATF fluid in a CVT or a tractor fluid in ANY AT transmission, or a CVT fluid in a Step-Shift transmission.

BTW, the Amsoil CVT fluid has been upgraded to cover Nissan's NS-3 CVT spec.

I've always been told the same thing - and believe you are right... but have you seen this?

Originally Posted by Afton Chemical
Traditionally, the only way to formulate both step-type and continuously variable transmission fluids required separate additives to achieve specification level performance. Not anymore. Afton's new technology, the HiTEC® 3488 allows for premium-tier formulations for both CVT and ATF fluids.

Hitec 3488
More Info.

Originally Posted by Solarent

...I've always been told the same thing - and believe you are right... but have you seen this?

Originally Posted by Afton Chemical
Traditionally, the only way to formulate both step-type and continuously variable transmission fluids required separate additives to achieve specification level performance. Not anymore. Afton's new technology, the HiTEC® 3488 allows for premium-tier formulations for both CVT and ATF fluids.

Hitec 3488
More Info.

Yes, as Afton sent me a brochure and a letter.

I have requested data showing CVT traction coefficients and Step-Shift Mu(v) tests in example base oils.

Still waiting.

Last edited:
I would consider using Amsoil CVT in my Subaru except some Subaru CVTS have an possible issue and Subaru extended the warranty to 100K miles. My plan is to leave alone until 100K.

Originally Posted by Donald
I would consider using Amsoil CVT in my Subaru except some Subaru CVTS have an possible issue and Subaru extended the warranty to 100K miles. My plan is to leave alone until 100K.

I think the Subaru CVT fluid situation is getting nuts.
My FXT requires a special high torque CVT fluid (orange) and I learned after the fact that a Subaru dealer put the standard (green) fluid into it at 60kmiles. Tranny then failed at 80kmiles and was repaired under the extended 100kmile warranty...they put the wrong fluid into it again and that it when I learned about the original mistake (they told me the new fluid they put in after the repair was as green as the stuff that came out). My tranny never really stopped working, but it was throwing codes repeatedly and was kind of weird in reverse.
My daughter's Impreza specs the standard fluid, which probably means they will get that one right if it gets worked on at a dealer.
My wife's new Legacy XT uses a new CVT fluid that I know nothing about at this point...other than it is new.
Not scary at all!!

"....high torque CVT fluid (orange)..."

Good to hear. I'm going to stroll casually into my nearby Subaru dealership's Parts Dept. and ask if they have it and what it costs.

Given the FZ (pale blue) transmission fluid for the Mazdas in the family listed at ~$22 per qt. (discounted due to my charm) it'll be interesting to see what this orange stuff costs.

I bought Amalie CVT fluid from the Amaliestore (website still under construction A/O 23/1/2020) and it worked GREAT in a Mitsubishi Outlander w/110K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back