What's the worst time technology has let you down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning my phone's alarm clock didn't go off. Somehow it began to count down negatively. I woke up and my phone's notifications said something along the line of "alarm in -48 minutes". Long story short I was an hour late to work.

Last edited:
The fuse that ran a bunch of computers and stuff in my 05 prius also ran the electric inverter water pump. Said pump failed, taking the car down, and locking the transmission in park once it stopped.

Turns out it was a recall that I hadn't had done.

The idea that they put two circuits on one fuse... on a car that had no shortage of fuses... was an electrical/ technological design oversight.

While flying, I was working offline on a chapter in my latest novel and when back online, I sync'ed OneDrive, but the file did not update. Luckily, I have Word set to save every 5 minutes and create a copy in a separate folder so I did not lose that much. I now make a copy on my desktop when working offline and upload it afterwards. Had I not configured Word the way that I had, it could have been a large loss as I had been working on it for a few hours.

We went to Mesa,Az a couple weeks ago. The navagation on all 3 of our phones didnt work there. It just took us in circles about 5 miles around. I finally asked directions and we were 30 minutes from our destination.

Originally Posted by eljefino
The fuse that ran a bunch of computers and stuff in my 05 prius also ran the electric inverter water pump. Said pump failed, taking the car down, and locking the transmission in park once it stopped.

Turns out it was a recall that I hadn't had done.

The idea that they put two circuits on one fuse... on a car that had no shortage of fuses... was an electrical/ technological design oversight.

I don't know where I read it at or what car it was for but I remember Chevy once had a recall that was like "if the car drives over an object of x size then it could rupture the fuel tank" or something equally stupid.

Originally Posted by Chris142
We went to Mesa,Az a couple weeks ago. The navagation on all 3 of our phones didnt work there. It just took us in circles about 5 miles around. I finally asked directions and we were 30 minutes from our destination.

I live in Columbus Ohio and my phone often thinks I'm in Kentucky for some reason. Honestly between stuff like that and my OP in this thread I think I just need a new phone.

All 4 fly by wire computers failed due to lack of input power, leaving me with just the BFCU powered by half dead batteries. Glad it was only in the simulator. It flew just fine on the backup flight control unit.

I think my "real" technology failure was a failure of NY's DMV computers to interface with CT's computers. Leading to a 2 year suspended license after I was pick-pocketed and could not pay the NY toll. It took a high powered lawyer to fix that one.

After my wallet was stolen, I had no license and no money. Drove home from NYC to my CT home, and stopped at a NY toll. Unable to pay, I pulled to the side to fill out an IOU. I was then cited for driving without a license. The NY citation was dropped immediately when I replaced my license. At which point CT computers failed to update that the NY citation was satisfied and my CT license was suspended.

The printout I had from NY with dismissal of charges was also not accepted by CT.

2 years without a license is a royal pain. I became an avid bicyclist and a fan of quality lawyers.

Last edited:
Very early Android phone, Google took us to our destination of a Metro stop... in the middle of a farm field about 25 miles from actual station. We redid it and it insisted it was correct. Barely made it to a D.C. appointment on time, had to pay some crazy high parking fee.

Mapquest freely substituted a completely different address where the first letter of the street name started with the same letter, 2 zipcodes over. Missed a job interview.

"Cloud backed up" fuel economy Android app lost all my fillup data. No recourse, data missing from old phone, new phone said it synced but nothing there. Contacted app company, no response.

"Cloud service" "My Briggs & Stratton" gleefully accepted all my small engine data and then lost it all. When contacting their customer service, they said yeah they lost the data, I would have to re-enter all of it. I asked, why would I ever trust you again? ("You had ONE job")

I work with computers, too much to list there, so I am sticking to consumer level stuff. Really, I make a living because this stuff is not as easy as it should be.

One of only two critical electronic components in my '81 Mazda, the ignition "igniter," abruptly failed on a hot day, leaving me stranded ~350 miles from home. I had a spare igniter at home, but had failed to keep it in the car, a big mistake in hindsight. Got a tow to (luckily) nearby Advance Auto store, ordered complete rebuilt distributor (included igniter) there, slept in Advance parking lot, installed replacement distributor next morning, and was back on my way.

Not really technology, but my bizarre shift detent ball failure on my Ram in my sig, INSIDE the transmission valve body that jammed it in Park, stranded me 800+ miles from home in Texarkana, TX. Miraculously I found a local tranny guy to fix it for me the next day & got me back on the road, or I would have had a rough time getting it and the rental car trailer home!

back in...2011...I took my at the time 9 yr old Nephew to IMS for one of their behind the scenes tours. the only GPS i had was my OG Droid phone, where google maps Nav was still in beta.

it had me turn down a side street a mile or 2 away from the speedway, and told me "You have arrived at your Destination" in front of what I can only describe as a crack house.

kept going, found a very public, school parking lot, reentered my destination... this time it went right. took me right to the tunnel entrance..

Last edited:
OK back to automobiles, late 1980's bought the then-new non-asbestos brakes shoes for my old Mercury. Was driving through a parking lot and wheel locked up. Pulled down and found friction material broken up and wedged. Pulled down other side and friction material still mounted, but looked like a jigsaw puzzle. Called brother, purchased Asbestos shoes and completed brake job in parking lot.

My daughter's grade school had a little graduation ceremony from kindergarten and it was really cute...when it was time for our little girl to cross the stage and get her "diploma", both of our video cameras died within a few seconds of each other and we basically missed the moment because we were trying to turn them back on. We didn't even do a good job cheering for her because we were too busy fiddling with the electronics.
Guess I would really call this pilot error more than technology error and it also goes to show that sometimes we should actually experience the special moments in our lives rather than obsess about recording them.

Getting to airport at wee house of AM with family of five and the three kids exciting to go.

The let down was the airlines ENTIRE computer system went down so flight got really delayed by 6+hrs. The plane, crew, pilots rearing to go but ticketing process was dead.

Auto related.........

Back in the 70's when Chrysler products went to an electronic ignition. Had our 73 Plymouth towed MANY times to have it start up perfectly in the shop. Stranded more times than I can count.

Not personally.

This is 2019, we still haven't have a national DNA database that can match all the crime scene DNA to the right person.

In the military you can change your state of legal residence to any state you reside in, and maintain it there even if you move to another state or overseas. Thus most military members change their legal residence permanently to states with no income tax and maintain it there if they get the chance.
Also, military members driver's licences don't expire when stationed out of their home state as long as they are on active duty.

When assigned to Florida from California, my first stop off of the redeye was at the DMV to surrender my Cali driver's license, and pick up one from my new home state, thus establishing residence. Was reassigned a few times, then retired, with my Florida license good for another 60 days or so.

Applied for a new California license and was refused. Had 3 outstanding tickets in Oakland, all at a time I was overseas. No seat belt, driving without a license, and failure to appear. All attached to my Cali licence which had been surrendered to Florida 10 years prior. On the phone with the Alameda County Court was told it must be me because it was the same first, middle, and last name, and same birthdate. I remarked some rocket surgeon of a clerk must have made the link from a database. Was told I would have to travel there and straighten it out, didn't matter I had no Cali driver's licence, and was in the military overseas when the incident occurred.

Finally got them to send me a copy of the ticket. Turned out my doppelganger was black and I'm not. Was able to straighten it out by sending a copy of my military ID with my picture. Fortunately the chief clerk wasn't as stupid as those who worked for him.

Civil service clerks can be dangerous when using databases.

every time I look at social media I'm reminded of how much technology has failed us.

Or we're failing the technology, more accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back