2019 L5P Duramax Rotella T5 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not yet decided on OCI for this truck. My age and how much I still want to crawl underneath one is certainly a factor. If I go a longer interval the Rotella would be a better candidate than the Delvac. While the L5P only shares a name and displacement with predecessors it looks to be as easy on oil. Current fill is Schaeffer's and after that I'll do a run with ST.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 117
Being so young, there's break-in residual still left, but it is clearly coming down. Don't worry about the Cu; it's from the oil cooler and will settle once fully oxidized - it will chelate until it's fully seasoned.

I can tell you that, at a very minimum, you should follow the IOLM. If you are intent on continuing UOAs, then let them be your OCI guide. It is typical for a Dmax to have low wear rates, and actually continue the downward trend of wear out to 15k mile OFCIs. I have seen no distinguishable differences in wear rates from any of the 5 gens of Dmax; from LB7 to the L5P, they all wear about the same (which is to say excellent).

The very few poor Dmax UOAs I've ever seen have been from massively abused or altered engines; not unlike the guy recently whom put a improper CAT filter on (having no BP feature) and then thickening his oil to a 50 grade with Lucas; that didn't end well in the wear category ...

Just run a 10w-30 or 15w-40 HDEO conventional oil and follow the IOLM (or further); it'll be fine. Nearly 600 UOAs cannot be wrong; that's how many I have for the Dmax series of engines. Data don't lie.

I've always been in agreement with your opinions on this engine. In my first post with this truck I noted that there was only a single prior UOA on the L5P so I intended to cycle through several oils just to add to the database since the engine is different internally from all the other DMaxes. Regardless of the differences it looks like the L5P is falling in line.

I posted a UOA on the free dealer fill which was Delvac. This fill was T5 on a Walmart rollback with rebate. Current fill is Schaeffer at retail to sample a 'pricey' oil and I'll sample that one out beyond 5K. After that probably ST to cover all the price points.

Not only does the Dmax turn in great UOAs, but it also exhibits absolutely zero preference for lubes. Buy the least expensive qualified HDEO you can find and rest well at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back