Direct TV & channel 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct TV and channel 4 (CBS) are having issues.
No channel 4 available.
And I cant find out how long this will last.
I'm real close to dumping the Dinosaur satellite TV.
Thanks,rant over.

They play the same game with their streaming service.

We were paying $25 per month for DirecTV now for about a year, I was fine with that.

Then in typical DirecTV fashion, they doubled the price to 50 and gave us less channels.

I complained so they gave me two months at $35, so after that runs out we will do Spectrum Stream for $25 for 10 channels and all locals.

Wife and I barely watch anything but locals and I haven't messed with an antenna yet, too hot to mount one in the attic this summer.

This was inevitable the moment cable and satellite systems agreed to pay local TV stations a price other than zero to carry their stations. There's a precedent for them to demand more and more.

Satellite and cable ought to strictly tell local network TV they're not paying a dime, and see what their advertisers do when no one is watching other than over the air.

Originally Posted by JustinH
They play the same game with their streaming service.

We were paying $25 per month for DirecTV now for about a year, I was fine with that.

Then in typical DirecTV fashion, they doubled the price to 50 and gave us less channels.

I complained so they gave me two months at $35, so after that runs out we will do Spectrum Stream for $25 for 10 channels and all locals.

Wife and I barely watch anything but locals and I haven't messed with an antenna yet, too hot to mount one in the attic this summer.

Spectrum has their own issues. I've had it for over a year, and now they're taking channels away. The service crashes at least once a day.
I'm about ready to flush it, and just go with You Tube Red for $10 a month.

Everyone can cord cut all they want and then they'll have you by the balls for your internet service.

Last edited:
Same here with CBS. It seems it will never be coming back. Sad that corporate greed comes to play on such a thing. Only reason we keep DirecTv is because of the DVR and the ton of shows we have on it to watch. It will take a while to get through them all. We never watch live TV anymore. Record everything and watch at our leisure.

Dish has also dropped the Regional Fox Sports Networks in a pricing dispute. Here is my problem with that. I signed a contract with Dish. The contract is an enforceable agreement BOTH WAYS. It requires me to pay my monthly bill and requires Dish to provide the services agreed to in the contract. I have lived up to my part of the bargain. Dish has not. They are in breach of contract.

As much as I hate class action lawyers who get a mere pennies for the claimants and multi-millions for themselves, I am considering contacting a class action law firm to file suit against Dish. And it is not just Dish that needs to be sued for breach of contract. Directv and the cable networks do the same thing, offer a service with certain channels then refuse to provide them as contracted because they don't want to spend the money for the channels.

Originally Posted by marine65
Direct TV and channel 4 (CBS) are having issues.
No channel 4 available.
And I cant find out how long this will last.
I'm real close to dumping the Dinosaur satellite TV.
Thanks,rant over.

Put up an outside antenna ( or an indoor antenna if you are close enough to the transmitter ) .

Originally Posted by dbias
Everyone can cord cut all they want and then they'll have you by the balls for your internet service.

Yes, Spectrum has me by the balls for high-speed internet to the tune of $66 per month, and I'm paying $33 for their lousy TV service.
I'd love to dump Spectrum altogether, but there is no other service in my area. I have seen that ATT has lower cost for high-speed internet.
Maybe I can use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot, and stream into my TV?

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Maybe I can use my cell phone as a wifi hotspot, and stream into my TV?

I don't know if you were just kidding with that one, but my daughter did that one summer in undergraduate when she stayed at school. She had no wifi so I bought her a cable to connect her iPhone to her TV via HDMI, she clocked up around 60GB of data a month doing that. Most cell phone plans limit the amount of hotspotting/tethering, so even though you may have unlimited data (as we do) you have to stream the TV directly from the phone and not through wifi hotspotting. This means you can't use a Roku or other device, you have to have the app on the phone and stream it that way (unless you have an AppleTV then you can use AirPlay with an iPhone). I think Android phones can use Chromecast with an adapter.

In our contract Sprint has the right to "deprioritize" data usage after something like 36GB in congested areas, but she never saw any kind of throttling. She only did this for three months so maybe if it went on longer it may have been different.

This is the cable for an iPhone, there is probably something similar for Android. You plug your charger into the other port on the dongle. The phone can get quite warm after a while.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by PimTac
Get a OTA antenna. They are inexpensive.

I have a antenna and I am 3 miles from the transmitter tower that sits on the foothills about about 2000 foot high.
Reception is great.

Originally Posted by dbias

Which is why I enjoy ROKU streaming device. I laugh at people that pay for cable and Internet. My internet is like $50/month as I have a way faster router than Comcast has.

Local CBS here my friend is whining about his cable plan no longer has it. I just laughed at him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back