Easiest car to get into and out of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions! The AMC Pacer is apparently the correct answer.
smile.gif

Honda Element, initially marketed for the youth and activity crowd but gravitated to senior citizens finding it met their egress needs

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eugenem
I hate to say this, but my family looked into a similar vehicle for elderly parents who have arthritis, as well as hip and knee issues. Toyota Venza worked for us.

Id 2nd this. I picked one up 2 months ago with the V6. Im 6ft6, and its fairly easy in and out, gives you a higher seating position and drives like a car. Interior plastic is cheap looking/feeling (doesnt bother me) and while most may think its an, "appliance" it can move quite fast in manual mode. Best bet, create a shortlist and go drive them to see what she likes. A crossover will give ground clearance and easy entry without being to tall to get into.

My wife and I both love our Outback for how easy it is to get in and out of. Slide right in. Slide right out. Just the right height. My brother-in-law just picked up a '17 Outback and he said the same thing. he was amazed at how easy it was to get out of when he got home. This is important to him because of his copd.

We needed something a couple years ago that was easy for my grandma to get in and out of.

We ended up getting a 2011 CRV. It was the perfect car for her. Easy to drive, simple controls, easy to get in and out of, super reliable, holds value well, etc.

However it was a miserable car to drive other than grocery getting or going to the doctor.

+1 on the minivans.
However, most SUVs and other vehicles where the doors open almost to 90* is also an huge benefit especially in the rear.

We have a Mazda 5, and it is very easy to get in and out of and has an amazing 2.5 motor. I had a broken left hip after falling on ice and it was definitely easy to get in and out of. The door sill is lower than most and the seats are very comfy. My 1990 Ford Ranger XLT is also easy to get in and out of. It doesn't have the power of the Mazda though. I bought the Mazda for my wife and she immediately named it "Zippy"

Off topic. But this is a subject I have never really thought about until recently. I got in a friend's porche 944 recently i hit my knee on the A pillar. I was amazed. Never had that problem before.

Last edited:
PT cruiser is BY FAR the easiest entry exit modern car ever made. Without question. It's just not a great car though.

Kia Soul or Mazda 5 are both great choices, both for ease of access and overall reliability. Not really a wrong answer between the two.

My Wife and I are on the heavy side . I also have knee problems . So does my wife . Yes , I know we both need to slim down . Then there is the stiffness and reduced range of motion brought on by age .

All this makes it more difficult getting in and out of our vehicles .

A large problem that has not been raised is how far the doors can be opened . This includes the arc of motion of the door , itself . But another factor is , when parked between 2 vehicles , in a parking lot . How far can you actually open a door w/o hitting the vehicle next to you . I do not know of a good solution to that problem ?

I think some one else brought up , the height off the ground , of the car and the seat . To high or too low and it makes it difficult to get in and out .

Presence or location of hand hold may make a difference too .

Best of luck and speedy recovery , :)

This will sound insane, but when I broke my ankle / heel about seven years ago and had a boot on, the easiest car for me to get in / out of, and drive, from the below fleet, was the Solstice.

All the other cars required a knee bend and maneuvering the boot, and it was awkward. With the Sol, I just stuck my leg straight out toward the well, and followed it in to the car ... A knee injury / immobile knee might be different

It's really about the only time I've driven the car. I think it has pretty much sat in the garage ever since.

In my experience, I have chronic lower back pain, I like Subaru Crosstrek. Forester, and Mazda5 for their ease of ingress/egress.

Venza is easy in and out in both the front and rear seats. It's a Toyota so just regular maintenance and you are good to go. Last new year model was 2015. Still a few deals out there well under 20k nicely equipped.

Subaru Forester, any MY from 2009 to now.
Hope that your wife recovers quickly and without surgery.
We all think we're unbreakable until we discover that we aren't.

I second the vote to run down to CarMax and try out some CUV and minivan type vehicles. I can also reinforce what others have said about the Venza and PT Cruiser - but don't buy a PT cruiser. With a foot injury, I don't know what motion needs to be avoided. I am picturing being needing to be able to back into the chair and then rotate into the car, so seat height and leg room throughout the door opening area seem to be key. If she has crutches or other gear, the ability to swing that into the car from her position should be considered as well. To me, these point towards a minivan with an open layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back