10w30 four stroke oil

Have a Honda 135 600hrs looking for a easy to find 10w30. Manual says Honda oil or API-SG,SH,SJ oil.
I used Quicksilver this year but read on this site that it's not as good now because it's now approved for catalytic converter motors, less shear additives..........to much info on this site.
Something with a least 3.3 hths which I read you need for shear on 4 strokes......guess where I seen that?
Only thing I could find with SJ rating is Castrol 10w30 at Walmart, could not find hths on it but I read 5w30 had 3.1 and they guessed 10w30 was a least 3.3.
Or 10w30 rotella but I winter fish with water temps sometime middle 30's didn't know if to thick?
Not much conventional oil rated SJ that I could find......Thanks

Cheap and easy to find. Delo synthetic blend 10W30. Its dual rated for diesel and gas engines.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by minnowhooker

a) , could not find hths on it but I read 5w30 had 3.1 and they guessed 10w30 was a least 3.3.

b) Or 10w30 rotella but I winter fish with water temps sometime middle 30's didn't know if to thick?

a) I would not bet on that. Lots of places that do give specs, the 5w30/10w30 are often not different in HTHS.

b) a lower winter rating won't flow any better at that temperature. Differences show up much lower at colder temps. 10w-30 is a better choice if you are operating an engine over 15/20F mostly. Go with 10w-30. It will be the same viscosity at middle-30s temperature on starting.

I don't know why an SN oil wouldn't work? I imagine the manual says that (SJ) as that was the spec when it was made (presuming this is an older 135 and not brand new). I use Mobil 1 10w-30 HM (in cars) as I know the HTHS is 3.5; maximum for a 10w30. If you really want 3.3 HTHS minimum, don't just assume a major label 10w-30 will do it. For example, the non-HM Mobil 1 10w-30 is 3.0 HTHS (and the 5w-30 is 3.1). Usually only hot-rodders care about SJ vs SN.

I think the M1 bi-annual rebate is on right now, so it's also cheap as well as everywhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave123
Amsoil ASE 4stroke small engine oil checks every box you're looking for.

Except for the part about being API SG, SH, or SJ, at least not per the API EOLCS directory.

All good recommendations, I'm curious about Mobile 1 HM the hths sounds great but I read something about KV's being low don't flame me if I get abbreviations wrong but if that is so would it be compatible with 135hp it is a 2009 model............. I read that here researching oil......Thanks
Don't know if that even matters

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Amsoil ASE 4stroke small engine oil checks every box you're looking for.

Except for the part about being API SG, SH, or SJ, at least not per the API EOLCS directory.
. Spec sheet meets SL SJ SG JASO MA

Spec sheet meets SL SJ SG JASO MA

It does? You and I must be looking at different spec sheets then because what I see is that it says "Use the appropriate viscosity of Synthetic Small-Engine Oil in applications that require any of the following specifications:" That's a bit different than saying it meets the licensing requirements.

I don't consider that to be ambiguous at all, it may be a great choice for the OP but it is not API SL, SJ, or SG or else it would appear on the API EOLCS listing. They also have not filed the MA listing with the JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel, although they are not necessarily required to do so.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Spec sheet meets SL SJ SG JASO MA

It does? You and I must be looking at different spec sheets then because what I see is that it says "Use the appropriate viscosity of Synthetic Small-Engine Oil in applications that require any of the following specifications:" That's a bit different than saying it meets the licensing requirements.

I don't consider that to be ambiguous at all. I wouldn't even have brought it up had you not said it "checks every box you're looking for" when in fact it did not. May be a great choice for the OP but it is not API SL, SJ, or SG. They also have not filed the MA listing with the JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel, although they are not necessarily required to do so.

For crying out loud we're going that path that oil is about as tough as it gets you run what you like ASE is as stout of a oil as it gets. AND CHECKS EVERY BOX!,

Except for the part about being API SG, SH, or SJ. Why is this so difficult when it comes to this brand of oil? Why does everyone want to make it out to be something that it is not? If it's a great oil then sell it on the other attributes it does have rather than always trying to say it carries approvals and certifications it does not have.

If certifications and approvals don't matter then tell us what does matter and what substitutes for them.

you guys make me laugh...hard

all oil is four stroke oil unless it says 2stroke oil (ie mixes with the gas) or diesel only.
ALL other oils are 4stroke oils and have been since...well...gas valve engines were invented.

if non-motorcycle oils are put in motorcycles, cannot motorcycle oils be but in non-motorcycles?
OMG its gonna blow up!!!

I'll accept that oil companies, formulators, and OEM's know what they are going … and make specific categories of lubricants and/or specifications … granted people use them all kinds of ways, especially when the metric is "did not blow up" … so laugh away if it makes you FEEL smart.

Last edited:
Back