Speaker upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a speaker upgrade for my 13 Elantra. I have a Android head unit with 2 12 inch MTX subs but the stock system is lacking to say the least. The front has 6.5 components and the rear doors are coaxial. I was looking at some JBL GTO series 6.5 components for the front and coaxial 6.5s for the rear. But I noticed There's some Infinity components about $20 cheaper and the coaxials are about $40 cheaper. I'm aware that Harman owns both companies. Would the Infinitys be a less of a speaker? I plan on hooking up an amp to the door speakers soon.

Infinity REF6520CX 2-Way Component System ( With Edge-Driven Textile Tweeters - Pair,6.5" 540W Reference Series ), 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E62D7BQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Q5GsDb16RYT2E

JBL GTO609C Premium 6.5-Inch Component Speaker System - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANI3LAK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_M9GsDbMRZH7R2

The JBL GTO line is the equivalent of the Infinity Kappa line so yes, the Infinity Reference is a lower tier than the JBL GTO.

That said, the Infinity Reference series has a really warm sound and I have always been a fan. I have eight of the JBL equivalent (GX) in my Carrera.

Years ago I ran JBL GTO 5x7s in my Crown Vic. They were good, cant remember if they were great. Just installed some new-to-me JBL "Power Series" 6x8s in my F150 and they are VERY good.

They are both made in China. They will be closer in sound than not. I don't think you'd go wrong with either, but rooflessVW is accurate about the warm sound of the reference series. Just keep in mind break-in of the cones takes a little time.

So either way they'd be a good investment. Might as well save some change. Focal speakers? Are they ne

Originally Posted by Donald
I hope you are not planning on blasting the speakers as you drive around upstate NY. Trying to keep it peaceful.

I failed to see him indicate anything like that. Sounds like he just wants nice sounding speakers.

Originally Posted by Donald
I hope you are not planning on blasting the speakers as you drive around upstate NY. Trying to keep it peaceful.

Nah maybe when I first got into car audio when I was a teen. But I enjoy a balanced full range sound now. Don't get me wrong I do like some bass music but meh. I live well north of Watertown. There's no one here anyways ...‚

Originally Posted by Propflux01
What's wrong with that?

Because with Focal you can quickly get yourself into a value/performance situation, and several thousand dollars of speakers into a '13 Elantra isn't what I would consider an intelligent decision.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
What's wrong with that?

Because with Focal you can quickly get yourself into a value/performance situation, and several thousand dollars of speakers into a '13 Elantra isn't what I would consider an intelligent decision.

I would have to disagree. If I'm in pursuit of hi end audio, what I drive becomes irrelevant, as my vehicle is not an investment in itself. So since I'm going to be in it every day driving to work, etc.....And you can always remove it when disposing of the vehicle.

What's wrong with that?

I would have to disagree. If I'm in pursuit of hi end audio, what I drive becomes irrelevant, as my vehicle is not an investment in itself. So since I'm going to be in it every day driving to work, etc.....And you can always remove it when disposing of the vehicle.

Sorry, but even if we put cost aside, the nuance gained from a high-end speaker will be lost in the noise generated by the car itself.

Just popping some Focals in a Hyundai door would be ridiculous. It's an overkill and pointless recommendation by itself. Do you expect him to drive these speakers with the headunit? The factory amp? With factory sound deadening? With two MTX woofers in the trunk?

Let's get real. Before "Focal speakers for the win" is a valid recommendation here, there are several steps to be taken first - non of which the OP has indicated he has any interest in.

What's wrong with that?

Sorry, but even if we put cost aside, the nuance gained from a high-end speaker will be lost in the noise generated by the car itself.

Just popping some Focals in a Hyundai door would be ridiculous. It's an overkill and pointless recommendation by itself. Do you expect him to drive these speakers with the headunit? The factory amp? With factory sound deadening? With two MTX woofers in the trunk?

Let's get real. Before "Focal speakers for the win" is a valid recommendation here, there are several steps to be taken first - non of which the OP has indicated he has any interest in.

My point being that no matter what you drive, if you are going to put in hi end audio, in any car, you will already have addressed any noise and amp issue. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend. The OP mentioned infinity and JBL, and may be perfectly happy with that and no other changes. It is noted, however, that he had already changed the head unit out. the focal was just a suggestion from another posters point of view.

Focal makes some very expensive speakers ( especially in home audio ) but they have a few car component speaker offerings that are in the same price range as mid to upper Infinity, JBL, etc. ...so you'd have to know the model before any talk about how much "disproportionate" cost is involved. Those particular "value" Focals are more replacement speakers ( like their competitors ) than they are the centerpiece of a $10,000 car system where you're worrying about overkill.

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
Focal makes some very expensive speakers ( especially in home audio ) but they have a few car component speaker offerings that are in the same price range as mid to upper Infinity, JBL, etc. ...

True. Looking on Crutchfield, prices of 6.5" Focal car speakers go from under $100 all the way up to $2,300.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
Focal makes some very expensive speakers ( especially in home audio ) but they have a few car component speaker offerings that are in the same price range as mid to upper Infinity, JBL, etc. ...

True. Looking on Crutchfield, prices of 6.5" Focal car speakers go from under $100 all the way up to $2,300.

Apparently I am behind the times.

Are entry-level Focal speakers any better than their similarly-priced competition?

I look at JBL as the practical, quality sound and really enjoy it as I recently purchase their higher end speakers 9 months ago for our home entertainment system and adutioning a few different brands in our home.

All these companies now are all owned by conglomerates and no longer stand alone companies.
Also try JBL website, sometimes good sales.

Last edited:
Well I ended up getting some GX series JBL speakers and the GX series amp to power them. I am blown away by the sound. Such warmth and clarity. They can actually blend in with the woofers in the trunk. Finally a nice balanced system! Haha I'm getting old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back