Meg’s D140?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a moderately agressive wheel clean to use with daily driver, factory painted wheels. I've had good results with meguiars consumer line products- would D140 wheel brightened be a good option? Is there anything else that might work better without being too harsh? I use a wheel brush and occasionally a speed master wheel brush, but I don't hand scrub or clay the wheels.

It works great, but...

- Only use it on OEM factory finishes.
- Make absolutely sure that the wheel is cool before using, or cool it down
- Do not allow it to dry on the surface
- Use appropriate PPE - it is nasty stuff

Critic, you make it sound like this stuff may be over kill. I don't neglect my vehicles and they are all using ceramic pads these days. I just want something more effective than car shampoo and available in bulk compared to the little consumer grade spray bottles.

Originally Posted by buck91
Critic, you make it sound like this stuff may be over kill. I don't neglect my vehicles and they are all using ceramic pads these days. I just want something more effective than car shampoo and available in bulk compared to the little consumer grade spray bottles.

For routine wheel cleaning, it is.

For your needs, try Meguiar's D143.

I like Eagle One wheel cleaners. They seem to work better than most off the shelf products. Proper cleaning will likely require a bit of agitation.

Originally Posted by The Critic
It works great, but...

- Only use it on OEM factory finishes.
- Make absolutely sure that the wheel is cool before using, or cool it down
- Do not allow it to dry on the surface
- Use appropriate PPE - it is nasty stuff

I'll add that if the wheel has any curbing, it will will start to corrode the exposed aluminum.

Off the shelf, I like Griot's Heavy-Duty Wheel Cleaner.

D140 is some serious stuff. I use it on occasion when I don't feel like scrubbing; spray it on and let it sit for only a minute (and minute only!) and pressure wash it off. It does work wonders on heavy build up, but I have destroyed a set of wheels as unbeknownst to us the road salt destroyed the clear coat and it went downhill from there. You will also go through spray bottles like mad, even the chemical resistant ones. I typically use ZEP Industrial Purple Degreaser mixed 50/50 and it pretty much suits my needs without being so damaging.

I like the Griot's products I've used but sure do hate to pay as much for 22oz as for a full gallon of concentrate. Does D143 work well? They list it as non-acidic.

I like the Griot's products I've used but sure do hate to pay as much for 22oz as for a full gallon of concentrate. Does D143 work well? They list it as non-acidic.

It's good stuff as well, not as strong. It's more for daily use, but still cannot be used on bare aluminum or uncoated wheels. Cleans rubber pretty well. The mist will still make you cough your head off though, so be careful.

D143 works fine "normal" cleaning. For neglected wheels, D140 has a serious advantage.

But D140 pales in comparison to products such as Malco Brake Off:
https://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/41917-malco-brake.html
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/82082-good-bad-ugly-malco-brake-off-review.html

Originally Posted by Delta
You will also go through spray bottles like mad, even the chemical resistant ones. I typically use ZEP Industrial Purple Degreaser mixed 50/50 and it pretty much suits my needs without being so damaging.

The solution is to rinse water (or car wash soap) thru the sprayer after each use.

Last edited:
Finally got around to washing my truck today. I don't wash it on a religious schedule but historically its usually about 1-2wks in between, rarely more than 2. Well this year thats out the window! I'm lucky if I can was it every other month! Wheels were getting pretty dirty this time, though not as bad back in the days before ceramic pads
wink.gif
Anyways just wanted to say the Meguiars D143 non-acid cleaner worked extremely well. Sprayed on the wheel, then the tire. Just leaving it on for long enough to scrub the tire and the wheel face and barrel before rinsing. Excellent cleansing, wheels are the brightest I've seen them in a long while!

Finally got around to washing my truck today. I don't wash it on a religious schedule but historically its usually about 1-2wks in between, rarely more than 2. Well this year thats out the window! I'm lucky if I can was it every other month! Wheels were getting pretty dirty this time, though not as bad back in the days before ceramic pads
wink.gif
Anyways just wanted to say the Meguiars D143 non-acid cleaner worked extremely well. Sprayed on the wheel, then the tire. Just leaving it on for long enough to scrub the tire and the wheel face and barrel before rinsing. Excellent cleansing, wheels are the brightest I've seen them in a long while!

awesome, I am glad to hear that it worked out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back