[CUT OPEN] Microgard MGL51516 5k mi 04 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter sat for 3 weeks before being cut. It filtered a mix of VWB 5W-20 SM, VWB 5W-30 SM, Smitty SuperS 5W-30 SN, Smitty SuperS 10W-40 SN and a 16 floz bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment concentrate for about 5000 miles. Drive pattern was mostly 11 mile one way commutes in SoCal traffic, with about 1200 miles of long drives.
The ADBV is past it's prime, and there seems to be a minor imperfection at the pleat seam. The pleats were hard to tear despite the apparently thin filtering media.

model.jpg

date.jpg

adbv.jpg

construction.jpg

bypass.jpg

deposits.jpg

plug.jpg

Looks like you shook some crud loose.

Was the mag drain plug aftermarket or factory?

Thanks

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Looks like you shook some crud loose.

Was the mag drain plug aftermarket or factory?

Thanks

UD

I've seen those debris in every filter I've cut from the Corolla, it must be the short trips.
I drilled the factory plug and epoxied a magnet in there.

Originally Posted by Corollaman

In that last pick is that hole/tear from you?

Yes, I tore it to take a better look at what the pleats hold.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by Corollaman

In that last pick is that hole/tear from you?

Yes, I tore it to take a better look at what the pleats hold.

That's kind of what I thought, for a minute I was like that's a big issue. I've got like 5 microgards in my garage I was worried for a second.

The 51516 filter cross references to a Fram 3600 or Puro 195....that's a major oversize from the OE filter.
I have a 2008 Corolla and have always ran the OE sized 4476 or slightly oversized 4477 (not necessarily Purolators)...and I have thought of
running oversized 3614 size but never did....I now see that even longer 3600 size would be no problem....good to know...

OP: Have you ran these bigger filters often?

Originally Posted by pbm
The 51516 filter cross references to a Fram 3600 or Puro 195....that's a major oversize from the OE filter.
I have a 2008 Corolla and have always ran the OE sized 4476 or slightly oversized 4477 (not necessarily Purolators)...and I have thought of
running oversized 3614 size but never did....I now see that even longer 3600 size would be no problem....good to know...

I have run plenty of filters this size in the Corolla without issue, plenty of clearance on the bottom for an even longer filter. One of these days I'm going to buy a Wix 51515/XG8a to try, though it seems it might not clear the oil pan, being too wide. Due to the base up orientation of the filter, oversize filters are not an issue.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by pbm

I have run plenty of filters this size in the Corolla without issue, plenty of clearance on the bottom for an even longer filter. One of these days I'm going to buy a Wix 51515/XG8a to try, though it seems it might not clear the oil pan, being too wide. Due to the base up orientation of the filter, oversize filters are not an issue.

Thanks Zorobabel.....One of these days I'll run one of the Bosch DP D3422's (Fram 3600 size) that I got on CLEARANCE at WM for my Ford Escape...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back