Have all the issues been fixed in the new Tacomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by glock19
I can't speak to the 2019 Tacoma, but I had a 2016 for right around a year and 11k miles and I traded it because I couldn't stand the transmission. Luckily, because they hold their value so well, I didn't lose too much money in the deal.

In hindsight, I should've taken it on a longer test drive, but I bought it based on the Tacoma's reputation and the fact that I loved my 4Runner. Even the slightest incline would cause the Tacoma to drop 2 gears and go screaming to 4k rpm just to maintain speed. If you don't mind a high revving, and very loud engine (or you live somewhere completely flat) then the Taco might be for you.

It's pretty hard to determine that sort of stuff on a short test ride. My Tundra isn't quite as bad but on cruise it will do exactly that too. I deal with it by using the manual shift mode, but I can see why some people would refuse to do that--really, the OEM should just program it better. 'tis a reason why I don't see myself ever getting a Ridgeline as Honda won't let you pick what the maximum gear it will shift up into--on their six speed, you can select I think drive, D4 and D3, and that's it.

Originally Posted by buster
The resale value speaks for itself they are very dependable trucks.
Toyota resale is derived from how good their vehicles were last century. They can't touch the American full sized market and the Americans are starting to catch up to them in the mid sized market. You won't see a diesel Toyota pickup in NA for another decade, minimum. They don't bother to be competitive here but people still buy their trucks because of the Hilux.

Test drive the '19 Ram, load it up with goodies and still save money over the Toyota and the perceived quality it brings. Take some of that savings and buy a 150k mile bumper to bumper warranty with included maintenance and never look back. Hemi or V6 will both return in the 20's mileage wise and smooth and comfortable compared to any other new model. If you hate FCA then use the same advice for the GM pickups for slightly less savings. I know 4 different ecoboost owners that love(d) their trucks until recently. They all have had large repair bills at about 120k-140k miles for differing reasons. Timing chains on a couple, a turbo and a transmission. They also only get mid to upper teens max, as far as fuel mileage.

I'm a Toyota fanboi but if I had to buy a truck today it'd probably be a Pentastar Tradesman with the tow package and 4WD. A mid size is tempting in terms of garage space but for anything else I do a full size seems better. Not that I've driven any of them but just going off reviews that seems like a good all-around setup.

The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon seem to be among the best in the mid-size segment.

Really?

"Chevrolet Colorado sales were the only ones to decrease in the midsize mainstream pickup truck segment during the second quarter of 2019."

"The Tacoma sold more than twice as many units than the Colorado. In fact, the Tacoma's 63,683 deliveries were higher than combined Colorado and Canyon sales, which netted 43,578 combined units, for a 30 percent segment share."...

Jul 29, 2019 - Chevrolet Colorado Sales Down 23 Percent In Q2 2019 - https://bit.ly/3318ufZ

Ed

I went through OP's same decision process recently. Set out with mind made up to get a mid size truck by that I include the Tacoma and Frontier because they're pretty much not the small trucks they were once upon a time. Heck, if consumer reports wants to call the new Honda Ridgeline, a "full size" truck and include it in full size truck comparos, then the Tacoma and Frontier are certainly mid size.

I focused first on the new Ford Ranger but too expensive mainly due to low/no incentives or discounts off a sticker price I considered too high already for what it is, plus it's also unproven (1st yr of new redesign). I looked at and drove Colorado/Canyon 3.6 V6 4x4. 4x4 only because no 2WD's in dealer stock. Low end torque wasn't there, common observation on that motor you just have to get up into the rpm's a little to motivate it. I'm sure taking farther up into the rpm's would've unleashed some respectable pull but didn't do it with the sales associate next to me, guess I was too polite. But already had decided it needed more grunt in the lower rpm range. Also, having located a 2WD V6 setup like I wanted, as a dealer-to-dealer swap (other dealer had it) they just would not come down below $29,900 on it and this was for an extended cab not a crew. Not having that truck in their possession they came at me with the 4x4 crew cab Canyon I'd driven but could not get it below $33K + TTL as absolute final selling price and it didn't seem like a real good value so no go.

Ended up looking at full size. Tundra was out due to knowing guy with newer one, nice truck but real world 12 mpg around town wasn't my cup of tea plus too expensive no incentives/discounts again. Titan was out because I don't like them. Ram Classic was out because I don't like the snout and in general the soft styling of the redesign wasn't my cup of tea either-- just personal pref not a negative to the truck. Silverado/Sierra not bad, not a huge fan of the styling but could live with it (personal pref again) but discounts/incentives still weren't wowing me. I did like the way they did the fender wells on the Chevy/GMC redesign 2019-- not round not square but a nice compromise that really just looks "right."

That left Ford. When first looking it appeared they were going to be too up there in price too, until I discovered the STX package. It's pkg only for the base model XL and brings a ton of upgrades and value to the game for low bucks. Ended up with a 2019 F-150 XL STX 4x4 ext cab, 20" rims, 275/55 AT tires, 3.55 locking rear differential, class 4 hitch, 2.7 liter twin turbo, cgi-iron block V6 (325 hp, 400 lb-ft @ 2700rpm), 10-speed trans, XL sport appearance pkg (mesh grill, fogs, body color bumpers, sport bucket seats), and running boards. $32,364. Less money than the smaller GMC Canyon.

Several guys on here told me to look into full size when I was posting about the mid size, GLAD I DID. More truck for less money. Canyon 4x4 EPA mpg rating 17/24 F-150 rating 19/24. If either of those are to be believed ...

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I went through OP's same decision process recently. Set out with mind made up to get a mid size truck by that I include the Tacoma and Frontier because they're pretty much not the small trucks they were once upon a time. Heck, if consumer reports wants to call the new Honda Ridgeline, a "full size" truck and include it in full size truck comparos, then the Tacoma and Frontier are certainly mid size.

I focused first on the new Ford Ranger but too expensive mainly due to low/no incentives or discounts off a sticker price I considered too high already for what it is, plus it's also unproven (1st yr of new redesign). I looked at and drove Colorado/Canyon 3.6 V6 4x4. 4x4 only because no 2WD's in dealer stock. Low end torque wasn't there, common observation on that motor you just have to get up into the rpm's a little to motivate it. I'm sure taking farther up into the rpm's would've unleashed some respectable pull but didn't do it with the sales associate next to me, guess I was too polite. But already had decided it needed more grunt in the lower rpm range. Also, having located a 2WD V6 setup like I wanted, as a dealer-to-dealer swap (other dealer had it) they just would not come down below $29,900 on it and this was for an extended cab not a crew. Not having that truck in their possession they came at me with the 4x4 crew cab Canyon I'd driven but could not get it below $33K + TTL as absolute final selling price and it didn't seem like a real good value so no go.

Ended up looking at full size. Tundra was out due to knowing guy with newer one, nice truck but real world 12 mpg around town wasn't my cup of tea plus too expensive no incentives/discounts again. Titan was out because I don't like them. Ram Classic was out because I don't like the snout and in general the soft styling of the redesign wasn't my cup of tea either-- just personal pref not a negative to the truck. Silverado/Sierra not bad, not a huge fan of the styling but could live with it (personal pref again) but discounts/incentives still weren't wowing me. I did like the way they did the fender wells on the Chevy/GMC redesign 2019-- not round not square but a nice compromise that really just looks "right."

That left Ford. When first looking it appeared they were going to be too up there in price too, until I discovered the STX package. It's pkg only for the base model XL and brings a ton of upgrades and value to the game for low bucks. Ended up with a 2019 F-150 XL STX 4x4 ext cab, 20" rims, 275/55 AT tires, 3.55 locking rear differential, class 4 hitch, 2.7 liter twin turbo, cgi-iron block V6 (325 hp, 400 lb-ft @ 2700rpm), 10-speed trans, XL sport appearance pkg (mesh grill, fogs, body color bumpers, sport bucket seats), and running boards. $32,364. Less money than the smaller GMC Canyon.

Several guys on here told me to look into full size when I was posting about the mid size, GLAD I DID. More truck for less money.

Nice....I should also look at Ford. The truck market is ultra competitive and they all seem pretty good. I don't know much about the 2.7L Ford engine.

Nice....I should also look at Ford. The truck market is ultra competitive and they all seem pretty good. I don't know much about the 2.7L Ford engine.

It motivates mine (4800 lb curb wt) very well. 0-60 is 5 or 6 seconds I think some car magazines found. Given how my truck feels I would find that believable. They used compacted graphite-iron for the engine block, due to it's superior strength. Cummins Diesel uses compacted graphite-iron for it's 2019 lineup, for example. Among engine features is exhaust manifolds are cast with the heads and anti-freeze cooled, this may be to better manage turbo inlet temperatures I don't know. Cupped pistons, offset connecting rods. That's about all I know.

Oh, also of note is Ford uses a combination of port injection and direct injection on this engine. The port injection may be there to help prevent the problem of intake valve soiling that can be a side effect of direct injection. Of course it will help mitigate that phenomenon but Ford may have developed this combo of port and direct injection for other reasons too.

Only two problems with toyota trucks. 1. They sell for way too much new or used. 2. Everything else beats its MPG. If you dont care about the price of the truck and per mile fuel expense then enjoy it!

Originally Posted by dareo
Only two problems with toyota trucks. 1. They sell for way too much new or used. 2. Everything else beats its MPG. If you dont care about the price of the truck and per mile fuel expense then enjoy it!

I think selling for way to much is subjective, depending on whether you're the seller or buyer. I doubt any other truck vehicle beats a Tacoma resale value.

Last month, I just sold my little 2004, 2WD Tacoma X-Tra cab with 186,000 miles (no electric windows, or mirrors, or cruise-control, etc.) for $7,000 in 1 day! As I was answering calls on my cell phone, the buyer looking over my truck motioned to me and said, "I'll make this easy on you - if this truck drives like what it looks like...I'll take it."

Offered for sale for $7,000...sold for $7,000, as I say, in 1 day.

Ed

Just drove a full loaded TRD-Off Road Tacoma. Built like a tank, but drives like a U-Haul. The shifting pattern is awful, even with ECT enabled. Maybe over time it improves, as some have said, but it should have been done a lot better. Toyota is facing some fierce competition from the smart, Honda Ridgeline and Canyon/Colorado. I don't think I could live with the Tacoma as a daily driver with the powertrain as is.

Originally Posted by Driz
I know a guy with a 16 Tundra , no problems at all. But oh my god that gas mileage on the 5.7 is HORRIFIC. It's hard to believe a modern mpfi rig could be that bad. I've seen the gauge showing 11 and that's not plowing snow

14 in the city

17 on the highway

Sometimes a bit more. Sometimes a bit less.

Not one single repair.

Not one.

The F-150 with the EcoBoost and 10 speed (smart) transmission is the way to go for now.
And they will discount the heck outta them.
Just my 2 cents. And I am a Toyota fan.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Toyota has been dealing with rotted out frames for the last couple of decades. Every couple of years there's a new class action lawsuit-the most recent being one affecting vehicles as new as 2011. The class action lawsuit originated in South Carolina, not exactly a rust belt area.

Despite all the Toyota fanboys, I personally wouldn't own one. It's clear that for decades they haven't been able to get even the simplest of rust prevention done right. Not only on their trucks but the body on frame SUVs.

A good friend owns a 2008 Tacoma TRD with 90k miles on it now, and I have to agree. He bought it based on research and I went with him to test drive and look over several of them before he bought the one he owns now. They are just way overpriced for what they are. Dated interior, the paint seems to be very thin, the ride is just okay, the MPG is horrible, and even with low miles every single one we looked at had some kind of frame rust. I know they hold their value because of reputation, but for the price he paid it better be reliable. He has been less than impressed so far, since in 2 years of ownership it has needed two wheel bearings, the A/C quit working, both front calipers have stuck and needed replacing, the paint is starting to bubble in certain areas, etc. It is a capable truck, but I wouldn't really put it so high above anything else in the category for the prices they command. So far he has been fluid filming the truck each winter which has helped, we will see how the frame holds up. I think a Tacoma is one of those trucks where you are better off buying it new, then selling it a few years down the road for not much less because it holds it's value. They are no bargain used.

"owned" a 2015 Taco for about 30 days. it was at dealer for 21 of those days. I never made a payment on it. finally after 4th time when i went to pick it up i drove right next door and planned to trade it for a Canyon but ended up getting 11,500 off sticker on Z71 Sierra. so glad i got the full size now.

the Taco leaked around back windshield. dealer thought it was rear brake light so they put a new gasket on it. leaked again. they put two gaskets on it. yes 2 gaskets. it was horrendous looking. leaked again. then they found back glass leaking so they had a company replace it. when i went to pick up truck the black tar/goo was all over the back seat and floor and interior. and someone chipped the paint on the side of the bed. dealer tried to blame me. I was beyond heated at this point. they kept truck that day to clean it. the next evening go to get truck and the seat bottom had been 1/2 way cleaned but side panels and floor and sides of seats still had black goo all over them. dealer guy was very shocked when i pointed out all the spots with me trying to not to beat him down right there. being beyond [censored] off at this point i told him i am taking it next door to trade right now and will never be back to Toyota. drove to GMC met a very nice guy and told him everything. told him i wanted a GMC Canyon All Terrain edition. them being new at the time he said he could get me in a Z71 cheaper. i said do it and i will buy right now. he did and i bought and will never look at Toyota again.

just typing this up has me hating all over again.

my 0.02 cents is get a full size GM or Ford. with the right rebates the pricing isn't really that far apart and mileage is so close also.

Originally Posted by Arctic388
"owned" a 2015 Taco for about 30 days. it was at dealer for 21 of those days. I never made a payment on it. finally after 4th time when i went to pick it up i drove right next door and planned to trade it for a Canyon but ended up getting 11,500 off sticker on Z71 Sierra. so glad i got the full size now.

the Taco leaked around back windshield. dealer thought it was rear brake light so they put a new gasket on it. leaked again. they put two gaskets on it. yes 2 gaskets. it was horrendous looking. leaked again. then they found back glass leaking so they had a company replace it. when i went to pick up truck the black tar/goo was all over the back seat and floor and interior. and someone chipped the paint on the side of the bed. dealer tried to blame me. I was beyond heated at this point. they kept truck that day to clean it. the next evening go to get truck and the seat bottom had been 1/2 way cleaned but side panels and floor and sides of seats still had black goo all over them. dealer guy was very shocked when i pointed out all the spots with me trying to not to beat him down right there. being beyond [censored] off at this point i told him i am taking it next door to trade right now and will never be back to Toyota. drove to GMC met a very nice guy and told him everything. told him i wanted a GMC Canyon All Terrain edition. them being new at the time he said he could get me in a Z71 cheaper. i said do it and i will buy right now. he did and i bought and will never look at Toyota again.

just typing this up has me hating all over again.

my 0.02 cents is get a full size GM or Ford. with the right rebates the pricing isn't really that far apart and mileage is so close also.

I made the same upgrade after owning my Tacoma for only a year and I'm glad I did. Traded a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road for a 2017 Sierra SLT Z71.

I love Toyotas and while I think the Tacoma is well built, I am still shocked at how poorly it drives. The transmission/engine combination is awful.

I love Toyotas and while I think the Tacoma is well built, I am still shocked at how poorly it drives. The transmission/engine combination is awful.

I've got a 2005 Tacoma TRD XtraCab 4.0L V6 with the 5-speed auto. I think it has really good power (240 HP), shifts good 98% of the time and rides and handles very good for a 4x4 truck. This truck hauls butt when floored.

Also I see no frame rust, even though it has been driven in the rain a lot (Pacific Northwest). It's never been driven on salted roads, so seems like the Tacoma frame rusting problen is caused by lack of protection from corrosive salt.

Well … there have been some pretty big claims here on the Hilux being bulletproof … but we go through drive shafts on those often (cut another PO two hours ago) … Not sure if they have the QAQC they once did …
Might need to chase aftermarket like they do on ZR2's …

And before internet surfers correct me, our F250's and Cummins Rams complete 3 year leases with few issues
(these are all 4WD WT's used on and off-road) …

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I've got a 2005 Tacoma TRD XtraCab 4.0L V6 with the 5-speed auto. I think it has really good power (240 HP), shifts good 98% of the time and rides and handles very good for a 4x4 truck. This truck hauls butt when floored.

Also I see no frame rust, even though it has been driven in the rain a lot (Pacific Northwest). It's never been driven on salted roads, so seems like the Tacoma frame rusting problen is caused by lack of protection from corrosive salt.

He was talking about the wonky 3.5L - 6 speed combo that is in 2016+ Tacomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back