head unit suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So right now I am running an Alpine CDE-W235BT which, despite being a rather old model works very well for me and I'm not really lacking any features per say. I do NOT much care for the sound processing and would love to switch/upgrade to something else (running JBL power series 6x8s which sound great but even the factory head unit offered better sound quality than the alpine). Even the older, less featured, JVC Arsenal KD-AHD59 in my 1996 Mustang offers much better sound processing (JL Audio 5x7 speakers).

I AM budget oriented and not much of an audiophile; I just enjoy good enough sounding music. Any suggestions for good double din head units for my 2011 F150? Ideally would be a touch screen style but I really doubt I can justify their cost.

This Sony is a very good unit and is priced right from Crutchfield. Crutchfield gets an A+++ for customer service and expertise.

Sony Headunit

It has both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capabilities to synch your smartphone; however, no CD capability.

Last edited:
Recently put a JVC unit in my car. It has andriod auto and carplay. I would suggest you checkout Crutchfield.

Originally Posted by Nukeman7
This Sony is a very good unit and is priced right from Crutchfield. Crutchfield gets an A+++ for customer service and expertise.

Sony Headunit

It has both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capabilities to synch your smartphone; however, no CD capability.

I have the AX5000, I really like it.

I don't think it has android auto. I believe that was the reason I dropped this one from my list. AX 5000 has both

I've installed 6 late model Alpines and I am concerned about SQ, easy interface and BT hands-free quality. All 6 met this need, but 3 failed in BT connectivity outside of 2 years.

The last unit I bought was a 2-din kenwood. I have been /very/ pleased with it, namely for a "tweeter compensation" feature that allowed me to set a frequency to where the tweeters kick in and drop it 5-6db from there on upwards. i'm not sure the feature was even listed on any of the documentation, but having found it, it saved me some maths, 12$ and another delay to order resistors. Usability of the unit has been great. model. DPX303MBT $110. NOTE - it did not include its own mounting sleeve - that is apparently shipped with whatever mounting kit is needed for the car it's going in to.

I installed a refurb of this from a local car audio shop: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-2330NEX

While I did had to send it back to Pioneer to fix an issue and a screen smudge(under warranty), I'm happy with it. I had to install a integration module to interface with the OEM amp and steering wheels control, that was another $100 on top of the deck.

For your F-150, you need a dash kit and a interface module that interacts with the Ford Sync system and climate controls as well as the steering wheel controls. Those are expensive, but if you install an iDatalink Maestro-compatible deck, you will also get the ability to use your radio to interact with the truck's CAN bus to check/clear DTCs, TPMS pressures and even an extra set of gauges since it's going off the CAN bus. The other aftermarket ones use a small LCD to keep Sync and you spend more money as you need to get two modules to do the interfacing.

https://maestro.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/102 - the iDatalink module. Supported by Pioneer, Kenwood/JVC and Alpine.

Sony Headunit

There's no Android Auto on that, just CarPlay. Google wants a 7" class display for it.

I've installed one of those for my friend's mom in a Frontier. It's pretty good for that price point. One thing with Nissans though, the under-seat/in-trunk Bluetooth module for hands-free calling must be bypassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back